Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Keymaster

Some people with Parkinson’s embrace being called a ‘Parkie’, while others hate the term. How do you feel? Does the meaning of the word change depending on who is using it?

Check out this flash briefing of a column by Mary Beth Skylis in which she thinks about taking a sensitive, nuanced approach to Parkinson’s-related language and share your perspective in the comments.

Marjorie Weiss
      Participant

I used it long before I knew it as calling someone with PD a Parkie. I use Parky to define the character who inhabits him and makes him sick, as opposed to him who is Dave.  I hate Parky, but love Dave.

Barbara
      Participant

When I hear that “quip”, I feel like Parkinson’s has been turned into a joke, something “cutesy “ to laugh about. It makes me uncomfortable. There are many things to laugh about in this world, just not Parkinson’s. FYI: I am a positive, active PD woman who greets each day with a smile, doing what I can for the greater good.

Alan Tobey
      Participant

If there’s any chance for humor in our part of the universe, we should embrace it.

Almost  nobody from the “outside”  knows enough about PD to use it as a pejorative. Any attention probably helps.

We can assist by showing we have a sense of humor. Two of my own contributions:

Name for a PD theater group: The ShakesPeers

Short joke. Q: How do two people with Parkinson’s seal an agreement between them? A: They shake on it.

Those were low-hanging fruit.  A better challenge would be to find humorous handles for some of the less-known symptoms, for example: anosmia, bradykinesia, dyskinesia, constipation, shuffling and getting stuck, and so many  more. I’d like to see a foundation like MJF sponsor a humor night – 5 minute standup routines, even if some of the contestants can’t stand up.

The serious point is this one: IT AIN’T OUR FAULT. But learning to live with it takes grace and charm, which we should be proud to demonstrate.

Toni Shapiro
      Participant

I look for and I need humor in my life.  Calling myself “Parkie” lifts my spirits and oddly  makes me feel more normal……until it doesn’t and I choke when I say it..  I embrace it and I hate it if that is even possible.

Clive Varejes
        Participant

Toni, I think your comment, is brilliant, makes absolute sense.

B-)

richard gitschlag
        Participant

I have personalized this disease by using the term “Parkie” as my enemy and burden, as when, in a particularly bad day I can blame “the Parkie is riding my back harder today.”  That seems to lighten my attitude at least a bit.

Marjorie Weiss
          Participant

it helps separate you from the disease. Glad it helps.

Karla Burkhart
        Participant

I’m with Alan. I think the term “Parkie” is funny and any chance to laugh is one I’ll take. Besides, it’s a lot easier to type than “Parkinson’s” for my hands that no longer like to type. Mental health is being able to laugh at yourself and, believe me, the last few years have included many moments that made me either laugh or cry. I’d rather laugh.

Don Harris
      Participant

Do we now refer to Long Covid sufferers as Covies and those with Cerebral Palsy as Palsies? Hopefully Parkies does not catch on.

Gregg I Daniels
      Participant

A ridiculous cutesy term that signals weakness.  What about calling people with cancer Cancies?  Degrading in the same way as calling someone Whitey or Blackie.

Clive Varejes
      Participant

It honestly makes no difference to me whatsoever.

I’m very relaxed with who I am and the fact that I have PD.

If someone feels that, in order to give their lives meaning that must use the term parkie, so be it.

Kevin McGuinness
      Participant

I am a human being with PD and a great sense of humor.  Calling me a “parkie” would be both offensive degrading.
      Just one persons opinion.

Denise
      Participant

Doesn’t bother me at all, at least it signifies your body has something wrong with it and may be people will have more understanding.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account