• beata

November 21, 2019 at 11:33 am

Hi All! I find that, at least so far, constipation is only a problem when my diet slips. I eat primarily greens and protein, in the form of fish or nuts or beans, and fruit etc, and rarely pastas or bread or other carbs. No dairy, as it really affects my digestion and thought processes. I find it gums me up, physically and mentally.
    Also, lots of water is so important.
    I do a tummy self massage every morning before getting out of bed. Deep pressure, moving from right lower quadrant up, across above the umbilicus, then down, ie following the path of the large intestine. Deep massage stimulates peristalsis, or movement, of the colon and speeds elimination.
    Hope this helps!

• Karla Burkhart

November 3, 2022 at 2:35 pm

I find that plenty of water daily is vital as is lots of exercise. My biggest weapon against constipation is something called “My Miracle Detox. It is either a tea you mix up and drink one dose daily or it is capsules that you take one per day. It contains simple herbs–malva leaves, holy thistle and blessed thistle, marshmallow root and leaves, persimmon leaves, ginger and chamomile. There is nothing that causes trouble and seems too good to be true but skipping a day makes my life miserable. I get by mail–My Miracle Tea, LLC, P.O. Box 341, Draper, Utah, 84020. Phone is 571-643-9295. My husband even uses it.

• sandra-avenell

April 25, 2023 at 2:21 pm

What works for my son who suffers from severe constipation. Two Phillips Colon Health capsules a day + daily stool softener capsule as needed. Miralax and suppositories also if needed.

• liz

November 10, 2022 at 9:27 am

My neurologist suggested power pudding: blend 1 1/2 cups prunes, 3/4  prune juice, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, and  1/2 cup all bran cereal.  Texture and looks are pretty rough but doesn’t taste bad. I blend until smooth and eat 1/4 cup ever morning with a banana.  I also incorporate pineapple, melons or apples daily into my diet. Still  need stool softener and extra fiber!

• Jon Busch

April 18, 2023 at 2:56 pm

My problem seems to be the opposite: diarrhea. Ive been taking PS128 now for about 6 months. I just stopped it to see if it restored regularity. My gastroenterologist recommended Miralax and prunes for constipation. She cautioned against laxatives.

• melba-w-benson

November 21, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Beata, Thank you so much for your response. Your eating habits and hydration habits sound very similar to mine. Also, I do physical therapy and walk on the treadmill every day. Thank you for the information about the tummy massage. That should work great!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 21, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Beata  thanks for sharing.  Melba, Luckily I do not have constipation issues with pd although I did have that problem years ago when I was on pain killers.  Hydration was key, prunes helped and herbal tea specifically formulated for constipation (I forgot the name).  The best remedy was when I decided to deal with the pain rather than the constipation by stopping the pain killer lol

• melba-w-benson

November 22, 2019 at 10:39 am

Jean, I found your comment about pain medication interesting. For 12 years I had to take pain medication during the time I had 2 neck surgeries, 3 back surgeries, and both knees replaced. Once those were taken care of, I was able to taper off the pain medication faster than my doctor or I had expected. Now I take no pain medication, but I have more difficulty with constipation than when I did.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 22, 2019 at 5:45 pm

hi melba, you certainly have had more than your fair share of health issues….i hope you can find a good solution for the constipation issue.  that is bizarre that you had less constipation problems while on pain killers than you do now..

• dans

November 22, 2019 at 10:55 pm

I consume 2 table spoons Metamucil in 8 oz water each morning. Occasional banana.  Double the orange flavored Metamucil if needed, 1x morning, 1x evening.

~ 90% effective so far. –

• patricia-mccormick

October 25, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I take Citrucel instead of Metamucil, because it causes less gas. I also take stool softeners and that takes care of it for me.

• melba-w-benson

November 23, 2019 at 10:29 am

Dan, thank you for your suggestion. I eat one banana every day. I’m so glad you have found something that works for you.

• toni-shapiro

November 24, 2019 at 10:08 am

Hi, I tried many things but I didn’t like the fact that I had to constantly use medication. I started taking Magnesium Citrate, high absorption 150 mg 3 times a day and it has helped me immensely.

• melba-w-benson

November 24, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Toni, thank you so very much for your suggestion about Magnesium Citrate high absorption 150 mg 3 times a day. Currently I am taking about half that dosage, so I plan to double it. To you, Jean, and every on the forum, a very blessed Thanksgiving. Since I have joined, everyone has been so helpful to me.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 24, 2019 at 2:04 pm

melba and toni  thanks for sharing and a happy thanksgiving to you as well.

• andrew-l

November 24, 2019 at 5:02 pm

for me- 2 table spoons of organic psyllium cornhusks in my morning smoothie, which also contains mixed organic berries and mixed organic greens and the equiv of 3 glasses of water . Several hard boiled eggs with breakfast (mainly eat the whites, the dogs get the yokes.) Snack on nuts. Stay hydrated. Veggies (sometimes heavy veggies) again with lunch and dinner. Lots of liquids all day including 5 cups of green tea per day and organic tea at night. Seems to work for me. Happy turkey day to all! (not such a happy day if you are a turkey).

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 24, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Andrew. I think u r on the right track.  Hydration is key…

• michael-r-scott

November 26, 2019 at 9:30 am

Jean,

I’ve found that a gulp of the Equip Milk of Magnesia(Walmart brand is about 50% of the price of the Branded product and just the same contents) with lots of water throughout the day. I also take two fiber capsules each morning and have reduced my Alcohol Consumption (as that tends to dry me out…. After a morning cup of coffee or two, I head to the bathroom with my I-phone or the morning paper for some “relaxation time”. That routine has solved my constipation problems….. For Now…..

Mike

• margaret-nuttall

November 26, 2019 at 10:39 am

To keep myself “regular” in that department, I have porridge made with two tbsp of quinoa flakes, 1/2 tbsp of ground linseed, sprinkled with cinnamon.  With my recent visit to a nutritionist, she added slippery elm to this “porridge” as one of its benefits is to “improve the symptoms of constipation”.  I mix this brew with coconut milk and cook in microwave for 1-2 minutes.  Then I add sugar-free maple syrup as a sweetener (according to your taste-buds).   Anyone else use a similar brew?

• carol-rothfeld

November 26, 2019 at 12:19 pm

I found that after about 3 days of Miralax I had diarrhea. I now take two capsules of Fibre each day and it seems to work. Just don’t expect a BM every day.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 26, 2019 at 2:07 pm

babara, carol, i am for anything that is not a prescription drug 🙂   barbara, that sounds like an interesting brew you have concocted.  how does it taste?

• jo-s

November 26, 2019 at 3:02 pm

The only thing that has worked for me is Miralax. I now take a daily “maintenance” dose of 2 teaspoons in a tall glass of water first thing in the morning (before I eat or drink anything else and before I take my meds). I also take magnesium citrate at night shortly before bedtime. Too much magnesium citrate (or too much Miralax) will cause diarrhea, so if you try these, you’ll need to monitor your dose of each. I’ve tried almost everything — from Senekot to psyllium husks to prunes and prune juice to high-fiber products and diets, etc. — and my current routine is the only one that doesn’t make me bloated and gassy and that actually works.

• betty-d

November 28, 2019 at 2:04 pm

I include sour cherries in my diet.  They are widely available dried and as juice. In addition to helping with constipation, they are a good source of antioxidants and have various other health impacts.  And they taste good too.  Sweet cherries won’t do.  They must be the sour variety.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 28, 2019 at 2:50 pm

betty, thnx for your suggestion. i believe all the dark fruits (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, cherries, etc)

have great antioxidant properties.

it is interesting why the cherries must be sour to be effective for you.

• ola-c-zamora

October 21, 2022 at 9:51 am

Hello, a year ago, I assumed my frequent constipation was just a symptom of greasy food. I charted my diet to a doctor’s advice and avoided dairy products because they negatively affected my digestion and cognitive function. Also, I gradually increased the level of water retention and noticed some improvement, though not complete recovery. I used Colace Plus for quick relief, which worked wonders for me. Hope these methods work wonders for you too.

• c-morts

October 25, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Oddly enough after many attempts to deal with my constipation I found that Curcumin supplements have worked for me. Go figure. But after taking them daily and continuing to eat plenty of cooked vegetables I have found that constipation is no longer an issue.

• ally

October 25, 2022 at 4:22 pm

I swear by Inulin, which is a type of prebiotic dietary fibre. I buy it in powdered form at my local pharmacy, over-the-counter. It dissolves in liquid and is completely tasteless, so you can add it to anything, including food.

• ally

October 25, 2022 at 4:22 pm

I swear by Inulin, which is a type of prebiotic dietary fibre. I buy it in powdered form at my local pharmacy, over-the-counter. It dissolves in liquid and is completely tasteless, so you can add it to anything, including food.

• sasha

October 26, 2022 at 7:01 am

One teaspoon of Psyllium whole husks in a glass of water every morning is the most benign way to regularity and it also has other health benefits.

Page 1 of 3