• Lucinda

April 17, 2023 at 8:24 am

I have experienced constipation off and on since I was 6 or 7 years old. Different things have helped at different times, leafy green vegetables, and others; fruit helps too, but if I eat too much of those foods, my bowels are too loose. Lately, having ice cream every few days helps.

• Jeanne

April 19, 2023 at 8:47 am

My husband has always been troubled with constipation until he started taking Neuralli. It’s a probiotic and has been immensely effective. It’s a little expensive but if you subscribe, it’s not too bad.

• Sharon G Richarme

April 19, 2023 at 8:48 am

Trulance works for me.  It is a prescription.  I’ve tried Linzess, miralax, and numerous other things I heard about.   It is only thing that works on me.

• Tracey Carnahan

April 19, 2023 at 10:32 am

Ducolax suppositories…quick, effective.

• Monica Blum

April 21, 2023 at 9:38 am

I have suffered from constipation most of my life and it worsened with the onset of Parkinson’s I had never had much luck with miralax until my doctor told me to try miralax twice a day with linzess until I could figure out what the best combination was for me. It turned out that, having cleared my bowels  completely, a regimen of miralax twice a day has worked for me for 18 months and has been the most comfortable I have felt, I believe, in my life.

This has worked for me and it might work for any of you but whatever you do don’t try to take it without discussing it with your doctor.

Good luck

• Russ Hudson

April 23, 2023 at 9:34 am

Try Butyric acid supplements for your constipation.

• Edward Fritz

April 25, 2023 at 5:10 pm

My personal trainer’s mother is an elderly Southern woman with a lot of home remedies. Her advice: drink WARM apple juice before bedtime and in the morning after waking. To my delight it actually works!

• Charles Alan Yurek

April 26, 2023 at 8:57 am

Hi
    Regarding constipation, my partner with Parkinson’s had troubling constipation. We found some “essential oil” or combo of a couple “essential oils” that have worked like a charm to relieve constipation, at least in Sadie’s case.

You might want to do some “googling”/searches regarding use of essential oils, but generally, people smell them (aromatherapy), or dilute a few drops of them in a “carrier oil” such as olive oil or coconut or grapeseed oil… for topical use on the skin. You should dilute whatever essential oil/s you use, because they are so very concentrated, they are generally too powerful , and may likely irritate if used without much diluting them.

One recent article on the best “essential oils” to use mentions Ginger, Fennel Peppermint,
    Lemon, and Rosemary. I can’t recall what Sadie used, as this was used for years, but a few years ago. (Sadie had a pretty advanced case of Parkinson’s and eventually fell in her bedroom, walking around alone one earliest morning, and broke her hip. She died shortly after a hospital operation for her broken hip.)

However, I’m sure we didn’t use fennel. We probably used Lemon and Rosemary drops, and maybe Ginger or Peppermint drops too, I’m not sure. And we would apply it, diluted in a carrier oil, just a little bit, dabbed right behind/under her earlobes, on the nect there close to the back/bottom of the ear. (The vagus nerve is close to the surface there, and the Vagus nerve (another good thing for Parkinson’s to learn about) triggers the Parasympathetic (relaxtion/healing) nervous system. Literally, within a few days of dabbling some small bits of diluted “essential oils” there, behind ears, her constipation was well relieved, and she was VERY happy with it, and was troubled no further with that, most largely, thereafter, continuing to use this method.

It isn’t covered by insurance (or at least it wasn’t then) but it pretty affordable. A bottle of “essential oil/s” can be bought, over the counter, for instance in a large grocery chain store.
    =====================================

Following are some paragraphs from an internet article about using “essential oils”:
    (I think they are being “extremely cautious” in their statements. Sadie and I have had no bad experience with them at all, both using them for other purposes too… though we used them only topically, and as recommended by various experts on the internet.
    —————————————————————————————-

Essential oils aren’t meant to be taken orally, and some are toxic. The effect of aromatherapy is experienced when inhaling the oils and massaging the diluted oils into the skin. Essential oils are generally very safe for the majority of the population to use.

The exception is essential oils that have menthol, like peppermint or spearmint oils. These are safe for adults to use, but can be dangerous for young children and infants to breathe in.

Pregnant and nursing women should also avoid essential oils as there’s not enough research to ensure they’re all safe.

The biggest risk for using essential oils is irritation or allergic reactions. Essential oils that are put on the skin may irritate those with sensitive skin.

To prevent this, never apply essential oil directly to the skin. You should always mix a few drops of an essential oil with a carrier oil of your choice — like coconut, sweet almond, or olive. Test to see if you’re allergic by applying the diluted oil to a small skin patch. If no reaction occurs in 24 to 48 hours, it should be safe for topical use.

================================= Good luck

Page 3 of 3