• jeffery-hill

September 27, 2021 at 4:10 pm

Still driving (6 speed manual no less!).  I only do long trips if I can start in the morning or have a partner to switch with if I get tired.

• p39rlai

September 28, 2021 at 4:15 am

Diagnosed with PD over 18 months ago.  I still drive, depending on how I feel day to day, as some days are better than others.  If I ever feel that I’m a danger, then I’ll give it up. thankfully, my wife drives also, so no transport problems.  Living in rural france, there’s no heavy traffic, but I doubt that I’d be happy to drive in the UK!

• p39rlai

September 28, 2021 at 4:19 am

I’ve still got my Goldwing 1500cc motor bike, but I doubt I’ll ever ride it again. It’s just too heavy and I don’t have the cash for a trike conversion.  (over £6,000)  🙁

• mark-caldwell

November 2, 2021 at 12:40 pm

I gave up my motorcycle about a year ago. I froze while turning and luckily stopped before I ran into anything. I made it home and put my bike up for sale the next day. It is the only thing I have had to give up so far. I still drive, but with my wife if I have to go a long way, (60-100 miles).

• barry-block

September 28, 2021 at 2:18 pm

I stopped driving about 3 years ago. I could probably still drive if I had to, but why take the risk? Besides using Lyft and Uber save me money. No more high insurance bills, gas, tolls, parking, depreciation, registration and inspection fees, and maintenance.

• lisakent

September 28, 2021 at 2:37 pm

I still drive but only on days when I feel I can do so safely.  There are some days when I know there is no way I can drive safely.  I have to be careful when I drive and leave plenty of room between me and the car in front of me.  I have almost rear-ended people a few times because my reaction times have slowed.  Also, I can’t listen to the radio as much when I drive.  I need no distractions, especially with other drivers speeding and darting in and out of traffic.  As soon as I feel I can no longer drive safely I will give it up.  Fortunately I live in a mid-size city so there is plenty of transportation options.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 28, 2021 at 2:59 pm

My husband stopped driving his 5 speed manual transmission July 2021, four years after being diagnoses. It wasn’t the driving  to the nearby grocery store that had him stop. It was with all the new changes with construction in the area. New roads, buildings, trying to keep his where about surroundings that made it hard with a mild case of Dementia. Lots of construction took place a year after COVID-19, 2020.

• troy

September 28, 2021 at 3:24 pm

EOPD, transitioning from stage 1 to 2. I still drive, but am very uncomfortable when I do. After an accident (not our fault and I wasn’t driving) made us a one-car family, my wife now drives for the most part (we carpool to work). I’ve recently purchased an electric bike to help ease my transition away from the wheel, so to speak. Aside from work, I can get anywhere I need to be on the bike or with Uber/Lyft and if it were up to me, I’d probably never drive again, given the situation. I’m okay with it; I’ve always been a horse and buggy kinda guy anyway! 🙂

• david-dorsey

September 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Greetings.. I was diagnosed in 2006 at 39 years of age. In 2008 I underwent the DBS procedure. My tremor continues to be nearly under total control. I made the decision to cease driving just one year ago.. Not because my reaction time has been compromised.. nor my confidence in my ability to control my vehicle… The social prejudice of my diagnosis would be Attacked by the attorney representing the driver of the other vehicle. With Uber and other convenient car services available there are viable alternatives. For local jaunts I ride an electric bike. Driving is a privilege that I no longer choose to take advantage of.

• gregg-i-daniels

September 28, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I am 71 yrs old, have had PD for about 9 1/2 yrs with major symptom being a right hand tremor.  Was taking 51/2 Sinemet a day prior to DBS last October. Prior to the surgery I was always able to drive ok but if riding my motorcycle I had to time the meds and be back before they wore off, usually in about 3 hrs.  After DBS, I now take 1 Sinemet a day and rarely have to worry about downtime.

I exercise regularly doing both cardio and strength workouts in order that I can keep doing the hobbies I enjoy for as long as possible.  I have always been a speed junkie (actual mph speed not the drugs) and still drive my 680 hp 6 speed manual Camaro, my 180hp sport bike, my dirt bike and do downhill mountain biking.  All of which I am able do at least as well as my riding buddies that are 10 to 15 yrs younger and do not have PD.

It is not my intention to brag as I am fully aware that every PD case is unique and my symptoms could worsen at any time, but just to let others know that staying as active as possible for as long as possible is the best way I know to combat this rotten disease. Personally, I take it as a challenge to hold on to a sense of freedom as long as I can.  Never Surrender!

• beth-t-browne

September 28, 2021 at 6:42 pm

I still drive. I am 84, started 3rd stage PD this past July. I have been independent since 1976. Worked many years, owned a franchise, worked for the corporate office after I sold the franchise, still live alone. Don’t need help so far. I do have someone who comes once a month for heavy cleaning. Just finished a balance class. I have tremors in my right hand. My sleep is not good. If I sit down to rest, I fall off to sleep. I don’t drive far any more. Just within the neighborhood. I dread the day I have to give it up. I love my independence. I signed up for a ride assistance that is very cheap, but have not used it. I do have Uber, but hardly use it. As a woman, not sure I feel safe. But, I do not go out at night.

• allie-j

October 22, 2021 at 8:48 am

Congratulations Beth Browne. You give me hope that I may be able to continue driving for another 10 years. I’m 74 and diagnosed with PD 4 years ago. I am still driving. I ensure that I concentrate and focus when driving and avoid chatting if I have a passenger.  I dread the day when I need to give up. I too love the independence. I live alone so would have to rely on Uber or friends or buses for local travel but would be unable to gallivant around the countryside like I do now.

I bought an electric bike but PD has robbed me of my balance and I wobbled all over the place and sometimes fell off , so I sold the bike.

• marlyne-wilder

October 20, 2021 at 1:47 pm

I was diagnosed 4 years ago, now 68 year old female, and stopped driving about 3 years ago.  I lost the ability to judge distance and my entire focus becomes blurry. My husband has said he will drive me anywhere I want, anytime I want, and I am thankful for that.  I still keep my driver’s license active in case of unforeseen circumstances but I don’t expect the need to ever drive again.  I do miss the availability to get away shopping by myself but accept things the way they are.

• joakim

October 22, 2021 at 3:22 pm

I was diagnosed 6 years ago, and I stopped riding motorcycles about 2 years ago, but still drive. We bought a new car 3 years ago and with all the new whistles and bells offered, such as adjustable cruise control, traffic alerts, auto-stopping etc I don’t feel any concern about being on the road.

• gregg-i-daniels

October 23, 2021 at 7:14 am

Joakim,  sorry to hear you have given up motorcycles.  They are my first love (well besides my wife) and I am reluctant to give them up any time soon.  See my original post.  Don’t know if you have considered DBS but it made a huge difference for me.  Tremor is my main symptom to date and DBS alleviated that considerably.   Also a 80% reduction in Sinemet.  I have a friend with other symptoms and DBS also works very well for him. At 71 years old and nearly 10 years of PD I am still riding high performance street bikes and  dirt bikes.  If you want to consider DBS or just want to correspond please feel free to post me and we can exchange emails or phone numbers.

• joakim

October 25, 2021 at 11:46 am

Gregg, I’m in conversation with my doctor about DBS and would love to connect to discuss your experience. My issue seems to be dystonia with my left foot cramping/flexing.

• gregg-i-daniels

October 26, 2021 at 8:36 am

Joakim,

Send me a private message.

• alan-berry

October 26, 2021 at 10:12 am

Gave up driving about 4 years ago at a time when my balance was poor and I had numerous falls. I also found my concentration poor when driving so took the safety first route. My wife now does all of the driving, bless her.

• fred-barnett

October 26, 2021 at 4:09 pm

I am 82 yrs. old, I’ve had Parkinson’s for 11 years and am in stage 3 now. I have never gotten DBS or focused ultrasound because of covid-19 and my age. I still drive occasionally but my wife drives 90% of the time. I feel very uncomfortable when driving in traffic or at high speed these days. I have a folding electric scooter for running around the neighborhood, parks, etc. which gives me a little independence but I really miss driving.

• suzanne-haidri

October 26, 2021 at 4:23 pm

I miss it, but I’m glad I decided to give it up when I did. I was not watching pedestrians as they crossed the street as well as I should, too many close calls. It could of ended badly- with them peeling my fingers off of my car keys, and a dead or hurt child, mother, grandpa -in the street. God. Forbid.

If you are having “close calls” I encourage you to take the next step and volunteer to give up your keys.

• beth-t-browne

October 26, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Yes, I can still drive.  Most people have no idea I have Parkinson’s.  I do have tremors that are more visible to me.  I have slight balance issues and finished a balance class a couple of months ago.  I am up and on my feet most of the day.  I don’t nap unless I feel like I simply can’t go, which is not often, thank goodness.  I do have sleep issues, but my anxiety meds help some with that.  I take 1/2 of a small dose since I am a small person.  I get about 5 hours.  I try to use the treadmill in our gym 3 times a week, and I just started going to the exercises our management provides twice a week.  I exercised faithfully for 20 yrs after my cancer 28 yrs ago.  I went 3x a week for 1-1/2 hours.  I stopped at 73 when I had to stop using weights due to my osteoarthritis.  I still shop, light cleaning, but I don’t spend the time cooking I use too, and Parkinson’s has affected my taste and appetite.  I have an esophagus problem, so eat off and on all day trying to get fruits, veggies, and protein in me.  I also take Juice Plus veggies and fruit gummies which help.  I do fight constipation.  I do not have any walking problems, so I don’t know how much longer I will be able to drive.  But, I am thankful for the time I have now.

• Phillip Cunningham

October 28, 2021 at 2:17 pm

No, after going through a Stop sign at 50km per hour and not knowing I had entered an intersection and missing the car I should have given way to by less than a metre, I hung up my keys and that was that. My neurologist forbade me from driving, even though I didn’t tell him how I almost hit a car. The GP signed the medical form for the motor registry that ended my license.

• marcus-sutherland

November 11, 2021 at 4:39 pm

5 years after diagnosis still driving.