Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Keymaster

Can high intensity exercise delay Parkinson’s progression? That’s a question a clinical trial researchers at Northwestern University are currently investigating. Listen to this flash briefing to find out more.

Do you notice that regular exercise has an affect on your symptoms or disease progression? Are there certain types of exercise that seem to be more beneficial for you than others?

Beth T Browne
      Participant

So many on here are feeling sure their exercixe is helping them a lot.  My doctor said the 20 years I worked out at 24Hr, 3x a week, for an hour and a half, is why I am doing better then most at the 3 yr stage.  So, I have been exercising with the class that just started at the apartment I live in.  It is a 55+.  I also use the treadmill.  I know if I sit to much I do not feel so good and I can’t get through the day without tiring.

Fran Adler
        Participant

I am very lucky to have an indoor pool where I live (over 55 Community) and I go to water aerobics 3x a week.. it really helps me as far as better balance and strength ….I feel so. much better after I go.

Charles Schiller
      Participant

The general thinking among MDS is that It does. I go PT twice a week, weight and resistance training, stretching and an obstacle course for balance (muscle memory). Each visit is one hour. I also work out twice a week with a private trainer. Same program as PT but without an obstacle course.I know I’m way stronger now and my balance too is way better. Who knows if any of this slows progression? How to tell? It’s like the Frost poem about the road not taken.

Don Bell
      Participant

Does anyone have a suggestion for an exercise app created for Parkinson’s patients?

Leslie
      Participant

I attend an exercise class for PWP 3x week. It has definitely helps strengthen me.  Helps me with coordination, sequencing, memory, voice strength, comaraderie, gets me out of the house & lifts my spirits.

Rick Tabakin
      Participant

My motion disorder doctor has encouraged me to continue playing pickleball, as long as I don’t fall. My playing is getting a bit worse, but appears to be limiting the progression of PD. I also recommend PT at least twice a week.

Marjorie Weiss
      Participant

My husband participates in Rock Steady Boxing classes. Well worth the time as it is geared specifically for PD people

Marjorie Weiss
        Participant

By the way he has had PD for 20 years and is 67 years old. He has also had DBS on both sides of his brain.

Gregg I Daniels
      Participant

As Charles indicated above, how do we measure whether exercise really delays the disease on an individual basis?  On the other hand statistics show that people who exercise regularly tend to progress slower than those who don’t.  I have always exercised regularly doing a variety of things; weights, cardio, boxing, mountain bike, dirt bike, etc.  I have no way of knowing if it is slowing the progression but my neurologist says I look great for having PD for 9 1/2 years and I know if I don’t exercise I don’t feel as well.  I also believe in challenging mental exercise such as taking college level classes via internet.  I certainly am not as sharp as I used to be and not as fit as I was when younger but I do believe I am better off doing these things than just giving in to this disease.

Beth T Browne
      Participant

Does exercise cause Dopamine to return to the brain?  How is it helping? I exercised faithfully for 20 yrs after my cancer.  Went three times a week.  Worked out an hour and a half using weights, treadmill, etc.  Two doctors recently have told me that those 20 yrs are helping me now.  I am 84, and no one knows I have this disease until I tell them.  My tremors give me away sometimes.  My balance is better when I am out walking than in my small apartment.  I have learned not to turn too quickly and be very careful bending over and getting up.  I stopped exercising when I was 74.  I continued to walk and climb three flights of stairs daily, more than once.  But now I am back to a good work out without with a professional twice a week, and the treadmill in between, and dancing and doing some things in my apartment.  I am on my feet pretty much the entire day, giving out around 7 or 8.  With osteoarthritis, I sometimes have to get on the heating pad at 7.  I pray God will keep me at this stage longer.  Started my third year in July of this year.

Charles H Levin
      Participant

I believe the answer is yes … This article mentions the study that my doctor has stressed to me … 30 continuous minutes at 80-85 percent of your max heart rate … I do this on an elliptical … it takes me about eight minutes to get into that zone … then I turn on my Apple Watch to make sure I stay there …

Can exercise help patients gain ground on Parkinson’s disease?   

In addition, I do weights and straps, crunches, yoga, and dancing (salsa) … I may add pickle ball soon …

cl

Krukar
      Participant

Of course this is my favorite question. Really I don’t know the answer but I  am 65 years old next week and was diagnosed ‘officially ‘ 10/20. Since 8/20 I have been doing ‘LSVT’ daily almost. My routine helps my affect. It can be found on the Blessings Health Care website. There are 9 different 30 minute routines all free. I also do 30 minutes of my made up routine.  OT or PT sessions weekly. Massage twice a month. I hope it helps but being proactive definitely helps my attitude. Blessings, Mike

Donna
      Participant

I believe it does but it makes me feel so alone and I can’t afford to join a gym.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Donna.
        Marjorie Weiss
        Participant

Try some online things on youtube. There are lots of them for PD patients.

Don Harris
      Participant

Not sure if exercise is effective in delaying PD as my main form of exercise is busy daily living but I do 2 exercise classes each week and find the balance sections exacerbate my mild tremor into something much more severe. So much so I am thinking of quitting the classes.

Charles H Levin
        Participant

Don,

I notice an increase in my tremor for a bit right after vigorous exercise (which I do religiously four days a week). But in the bigger picture, I would say that my tremor is barely noticeable most of the day … and I suspect the exercise (and meds) are the reason.

cl

Beth T Browne
      Participant

Interesting Don how this disease affects us all differently, but some the same.

I think the classes are helping me, mostly by increasing my energy level and not having the fatigue I was was.  But, it has not stopped the tremors so far, but I have not been doing the class ones but a couple of weeks.

My doctor thinks Rytary will get the Dopamine I need in me, and that is why he is pushing it.  I sometimes seem to shake more after taking the medicine.  And, I am only taking 1/2 4x a day.

I got my booster shot yesterday.  I usually get up twice during the night to go to the bathroom.  This morning when I got up at 7am I could hardly move.  Every bone and muscle in my body hurt so bad.  I went back to bed with the hot pad.  I finally got up again at 9:30 and stayed up, and have been moving around, and starting to feel better.  I got 1/2 dose of the Moderna.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account