Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s What kind of footwear do you prefer?

• What kind of footwear do you prefer?

Posted by ally on February 17, 2022 at 4:12 pm

Having the right kind of shoes is really important when you have Parkinson’s. Some kinds of footwear – like flip flop sandals – can even be borderline dangerous.

Footwear for people with Parkinson’s is the subject of a recent column by Jo Gambosi, which you can read here.

What kind of footwear do you find to be the most comfortable and safe to wear? Are there any styles of shoe that you miss wearing? Do you have any footwear advice for newly diagnosed folks?

Tommy replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 36 Members · 40 Replies
  • 40 Replies
  • marla-klein

February 18, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Would love to hear what has worked for people. Thanks

• gail-dons

October 19, 2023 at 7:36 pm

Kiziks work the best for me. They are made for people who need help getting their shoes on – you can slide your feet into in the tied sneakers, support is excellent and style is good. I was in an inpatient rehab for six weeks after back surgery, and each day we had to get ourselves dressed, no matter how long it took, my Kiziks saved me about 15 minutes of frustration a day!

• lloyd

October 24, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Arche from France.

• douglas-savchenko

December 14, 2023 at 3:10 pm

I have “wide/flat” feet so need 4E width. I have used Kizik, Skechers, and others but I find the best for me are Step Ins from OrthoFeet. They help me with most issues but the roomy shoe really helps to not aggravate my neuropathy.

• janet-leblanc

December 23, 2023 at 8:58 pm

Sketchers slip-ins: easy to put on, numerous colors, comfortable and reasonably priced.

• twok

February 26, 2022 at 8:14 am

prefer slip on flats with support in the sole
    slip on crucial
    relatively snug fit helps with walking
    tied shoes a no, no
    wear socks only in snow
    my feet slip around in sneakers, makes my gait less confident

• louis-comitini

March 2, 2022 at 11:24 am

HI,

I find that tightly tied running shoes (sneakers) to be the best.  I pay extra to get the better shoes to help my gait and comfort.  I find Azics comfy

Louis from Montreal

• annie

March 3, 2022 at 6:30 pm

I am still struggling to find out what works well for me now in the way of footwear. I really miss my floral doc marten boots. They are too heavy and I cannot cope with laces anymore.Floral doc marten boots

Since becoming a PWP, I need something light, supportive and easy to get on and take off. Shoes are often such a struggle to get on that I will wear them all day – even to bed if I have a nap / rest.

I personally also need something with a sense of fun. The serious shoes that the podiatrist sold me are often ignored. They make me sad even though they support my feet. I think that this is particularly important because I feel that I struggle with apathy and although I do not suffer from depression, there is definitely a lack of joy in my life. More things to make me smile are required in every aspect of my life – and I often used to use footwear to express my individuality and make myself smile.

• Eeyore

October 24, 2023 at 3:57 pm

I am still happy with my hand made boots and have found that using a shoe horn allows ease of getting into them and then I can tie the laces

• Jim Brennan

March 4, 2022 at 11:14 am

I’ve had good luck with Sketchers sneakers that have laces that are pre-tied.  No need to tie them just slip them on.  They also run true to size for me.  In inclement weather my hiking boots suffice.  Still need to tie them but at this point the loops are easy enough to manipulate.  Gave up dress shoes once I retired, why bother with them.

• barbara-ernest

March 8, 2022 at 2:32 pm

My wife could no longer tie her shoes and even some with Velcro straps were a struggle. I located some Kizik brand shoes she could slip into.

• royroberts

March 8, 2022 at 5:02 pm

My husband typically wears sneakers, but was unable to tie them. We tried Kizik, which were very expensive, and he kept falling over trying to step into them. Sitting down to slip them on wasn’t good either.
    Next, we tried Velcro, which were really ugly and looked like sneakers for Herman Munster. They were also incredibly heavy, but were sturdy. They have been relegated for working in the garage and around the house.
    For two years, he has worn a pair of Nikes that are very comfortable, but I have to tie them for him. He complained that the laces were rounded and hard to manipulate. I couldn’t figure out what his problem was! So, they were workable, but kind of a pain.
    Then, last week, a doctor recommended he get new sneakers as the treads were getting smooth, which isn’t very safe. He chose a pair of Sketchers and while I was fussing with the papers inside the box, he put them on and TIED the laces. We were both floored! He said, “I like these laces! They’re flat!” I haven’t had to tie his laces since!
    Parkinson’s Disease never stops surprising us. If you can’t tie your shoes, try different laces! It may work for you too!

• twok

March 8, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Great writing!

• Dick

October 23, 2023 at 8:18 am

I have a pair of sketchers slip ins that work perfect for airports or places where you need to slip off on/shoes without bending down.

• mary-beth-skylis

October 24, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Do you find that they do well on long days where you’re standing a lot?

• joseph-t-mancini

March 8, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I have become a big fan of GeckoMan. These are solidly-made orthotic shoes in slip-on, lace-up, and slipper models, and they are very reasonably priced. I own several pairs in all forms. They help me maintain good posture, and they are great for my workouts and walking. Available on-line.

• nsurit

March 12, 2022 at 12:47 pm

I have a narrow foot and wear New Balance 990V5 shoes that are available in 2A, B and other sizes. Top quality construction, fit properly.  Others athletic shoes I’ve tried don’t offer the stability and fit as these.  Cost a little more, made in USA and worth every penny.

• dresh

May 24, 2022 at 11:34 am

You are completely right. However, everyone should choose each pair of shoes wisely. I have been practicing tennis for over 10 years, and one of my colleagues had Parkinson’s. Every month, I observed she was looking at a platform, and each month, they posted reviews of the best tennis shoes. Once I asked her why she pays so much attention to this detail, she explained to me how important it is. After that talk, I was more attentive to what shoes I was buying, and once I started to bet better shoes, I observed that my technique got better and better.

• flavia-lombardo

October 19, 2023 at 4:38 am

Hi Ally, have you tried these ones? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0UwnxthWeM
    They vibrate during different step phases and have an app..You can check the website magnes.ch

• suzanne-lang

October 20, 2023 at 2:43 pm

My husband swears by Kiziks and has several pairs. The slip-on convenience is a lifesaver and they look very good. However, they do not give him enough support when doing his daily walk so he turns to his trusty New Balance sneakers which he leaves laced up and is able to slip into, albeit not as easy as the Kiziks.

• Dick

October 23, 2023 at 8:08 am

I am a fan of Kiziks but they are a little pricy and I do agree there not made for running.. but if your going on vacation and to the airport and know you’ll be asked to remove your shoes there perfect.

• hugh-mccrackin

October 24, 2023 at 2:44 pm

I will admit it – I love my Crocs!

They’re ugly but so easy to put on and odd and also very comfortable. I use them when I need to take the dog out and when I want to go on a 3 mile walk. I mostly wear without socks but may change my mind when it starts to get colder outside.

• ally

December 13, 2023 at 8:21 pm

I love Crocs, too, Hugh. They’re very comfortable and functional. Do you jazz yours up with shoe charms?

• k-ride

October 24, 2023 at 9:40 pm

Kiziks are great, but if you have very wide feet, their extra wide are still too narrow.

• phil-gattis

October 25, 2023 at 3:37 am

flat-bottom, zero-lift

in Europe: trade name Bär

specifically “NimbleToes based on Bär” from Joe Nimble

I have a personal preference for the natural leather look of older models of NimbleToes

• Jeanette Jagst

October 25, 2023 at 11:58 pm

My husband has had Parkinson’s for 30 years. I found putting his shoes on extremely difficult. I was told about “Billy Shoes”. They look like regular shoes but are fastened with a zip. My husband loves them and they make my job easier. When at home, he finds sheepskin “Uggs” (slippers), extremely comfortable.

Cheers,

Jean

• DaveM

October 29, 2023 at 8:23 am

I have become a fan of OrthoFeet’s hands-free shoes and slippers. I have
    2 pairs of their Yari sneakers and 1 pair of their slippers, and they
    all come with an optional arch support and spacers. They are the most
    comfortable footwear I have owned, and you can slip-on/slip-off without
    having to tie/untie the laces. They have really made a big difference
    for me.

• ally

December 13, 2023 at 8:19 pm

I wasn’t familiar with this brand/style! Thanks for sharing, Dave.

• kenneth

October 30, 2023 at 9:50 am

Personally, I am doing pilates to improve my balance, and I’ve found that supportive, non-slip footwear is crucial. Slip-on shoes with Velcro straps are a game-changer for me. I miss stylish boots but prioritize safety. My advice for newcomers: invest in comfortable, well-fitting shoes, and prioritize function over fashion. Here u can check more about pilate shoes. Health to all!

• sussan-thomas

November 21, 2023 at 5:12 am

My favourites are my Timberland sneakers. Very comfy.

• sherman-paskett

November 21, 2023 at 5:18 pm

I got my first pair of Kiziks last week. First impressions are they are what they claim to be—easy to put on—but for me possibly dangerous. I have slipped twice , once on the laminate floor in our house and once on loose gravel in a parking lot. The soles are too hard and for me do not provide enough of an arch support. I will try a different model and hope they use a different sole material.

I have worn New Balance 574 for 30 years or so. They are the perfect shoe for me with one exception — I have to tie the laces. But with a perfect fit it’s worth the effort.

My son recently introduced me to Hey Dude, more slipper than shoe, these can be worn in public but are very casual.

Finally there are good old Minnetonka moccasins. These are as close to going barefoot as you can gat. They come with a hard sole or a soft gum rubber sole. I have worn some version of these for over 60 years. They slip on easily and while they have ties of a sort they can be pre-tied and slipped on and odd easily. They can accommodate orthotics if needed, or retail store insoles.

• ally

December 13, 2023 at 8:18 pm

Hi Sherman, now that it’s been a few weeks, what’s your review of the Kiziks now? Are you still wearing them or have you traded them in for another pair?

• marcus-sutherland

December 14, 2023 at 7:33 am

Hi Ally,

I like hokas they are a running shoe very comfortable a lot of nurses wear them, there’s a slight bevel to the heel it helps keep my heel to toe when I walk.

• Wendy

December 14, 2023 at 2:19 pm

My husband wears crocs, and if he needs something dressier, sketchers slip on loafers are great.

• LKF1

December 15, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Orthofeet are the best thing I ever found- they have a step-in style with zippers on the back sides of each heel with ties on the front which you can leave tied. They look like regular shoes but they fit perfectly and are so easy to step in to. They also come with a selection of different inserts for a perfect fit and have a nice wide toe box so your toes have room to breathe and wiggle. I have 4 pairs and won’t wear anything else.

• kr-and-js

December 19, 2023 at 4:36 pm

We just tried a pair of Kizik walking shoes for my husband, and they seem to be working very well. He can put them on easily, and they are comfortable to wear. We also use Lock-laces to turn regular lace up shoes into slip-ons, but he has to use a shoe horn for those, otherwise the heels kind of collapse when he puts them on.

Page 1 of 2