• krukar

July 26, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Hi Ally,

One of the great things about returning home from Alaska was the greetings we received from our cats Tom and Jeri. Jeri our 3 year old kitten shows her love by biting. Tom the 11 year old Male licks to show his affection.

Both add a dimension to our lives.
    When I was first diagnosed Jeri insisted I pick up my feet by lying in front of me. What does not kill you makes you stronger.  Blessings, Mike

• ally

July 29, 2022 at 1:33 pm

Hi Mike, I remember meeting one of your cats when we chatted a few months ago! He was so cute! I love cats and I have a big orange fluff ball of my own called Alesso. 🙂 He also likes to keep life interesting!

• jeffery-hill

July 27, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Finding ourselves with time on our hands, and missing our last dog, we got a new one just as the March 2020 lockdown descended (coincidence).  Our new Australian Shepherd, Poppy, has lots of energy, and we walk 10,000+ steps every day.  She also loves frisbee, soccer and tug-of-war.  This has helped me keep stiffness at bay.

• ally

July 29, 2022 at 1:34 pm

Hi Jeffery, Australian shepherds are such fun dogs! They have a lot of energy. Sounds like yours adds a lot of that to your daily life! 🙂

• Tom Moody

January 24, 2024 at 2:55 pm

I have to thank my Labradoodle Fletch for holding off my PD progression for several years. He gently demands that my wife and I walk him three times each day. We are usually on trails in nearby parks so I work on my balance and stamina. We walk Fletch 40 to 50 miles per week. He is an amazing and loving friend and is easy to care for. As long as you don’t mind walking,😄

• barbara-ford

July 28, 2022 at 4:51 am

My daughter and I share ownership of a highly intelligent Siamese named CoKitty.  CoMom, CoBoo and CoBob are the names of his staff.  He expects to be fed anytime some one is in the kitchen, demands a clean cat box, and will sneak out the back door if he catches it open.

He loves it when I stay in bed later than usual or take an afternoon nap.  A pillow cave is his favorite place to sleep. We love our CoKitty.

• ally

July 29, 2022 at 1:35 pm

Hi Barbara, thanks for writing! Is it true that Siamese cats are very talkative?

• barbara-ford

August 24, 2022 at 8:38 am

Ally, yes, our kitty is very talkative, especially when I am preparing something special for him to eat. It is so funny to have a conversation with him and to see him so happy.

• shakeybud

July 28, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Hi everyone I have an 8 year old yellow lab. His name is Frank. He keeps me active he loves walking to the lake and swimming. Believe it or not when I get twisted up in a knot and can’t move. My wife brings Frank to me so I can touch him I instantly can move. I know this sounds crazy but it works every time. I have had PD going on 17 years. In the last year is when this getting stuck thing started . Frank my best friend. Hope your pet can do the same for you.

• ally

July 29, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Bud, this story warmed my heart. Thank you so much for sharing about your boy Frank. He sounds absolutely wonderful and I am so happy you have such an strong and healing bond with each other. 🙂

• Rick Tabakin

July 28, 2022 at 3:59 pm

I feel that having a four-legged, fuzzy pet (particularly a dog) is very advantageous to people with PD – PROVIDED THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO THEM.  It forces you to care for another live being.  It forces you to get up and walk it periodically.  It’s also something to love and it returns loving and emotional support many-fold.

• ally

July 29, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Hi Rick, I couldn’t agree more! Pets have so much to give in terms of love, companionship and even practical support with things like walking and caretaking — and yet they expect so little in return. They are little blessings. 🙂

• marlene-donnelly

August 2, 2022 at 4:42 pm

My husband and I have a 16 year old tuxedo cat named Zach who rules this house.   We have had cats during most of our 53 years of marriage and have always felt we get so much more from our cats than we give them.  We love Zach to pieces, and I have no doubt that being Zach’s maid only helps with my PD.  If I’m feeling fine, Zach makes sure I do all of the things that need to be done for him.  However, if I am having a rough day, he is there for me, giving love and attention like a caring nurse.

I have also volunteered one evening a week at my local (no kill) animal shelter for their kitties since 1994.  Going there each week is the best!  We usually have anywhere from 8 to 20 kitties, and my job is to feed moist food, make sure there is enough dry food out, refill the water bowls, clean the litter boxes, straighten up, and give love to the kitties.  A friend of mine usually comes with me, and the shelter managers know I have PD and on very rare occasions I may need someone to fill in for me if I’m having a really rough day.  Sometimes I come home exhausted, but it is worth it because I always come home happy!

• ally

August 10, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Hi Marlene, Zach sounds like a character! What a wonderful little guy. I also love that you’re a shelter volunteer. That must be so rewarding and fun. When I have more time, I would also like to volunteer at a local shelter. Does Zach mind when you come home smelling like other cats? (Asking because I have a kitty, too.)

• tim-brindley

August 2, 2022 at 6:22 pm

I sure do wE have 7 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats.

Deach has her (8) or his (1) unique mannerisms

WE love and cherish them all.

We donate $250.00 a month to our local no kill shelter AARP Mayer AZ.

• mary-beth-skylis

August 3, 2022 at 10:22 am

7 rescue dogs!!! I have two, and they give me the run around. But I bet you’re never lonely.

• tim-brindley

August 4, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Never.

I won’t have it any other way either. There love keeps me in a good frame of mind for sure.

• cynthia-johnson

August 2, 2022 at 10:34 pm

I have cats and totally ADORE them. They are great company and comfort, especially if I’m not having a great day.

• ally

August 10, 2022 at 8:18 pm

I agree, Cynthia. My kitty is the best little companion on good days and bad. I’m so grateful for his unconditional love.

• dtm23020optonline-net

August 4, 2022 at 8:54 pm

We rescued a beagle on June 4, after our beagle of almost 12 years succumbed to kidney disease.  The house was so quiet without Lucy.  She was so sweet, she never ever went upstairs, so when her water dish was empty she would bark from the kitchen. My husband and I would always say, it was her way of saying “hey, I’m thirsty over here.”  Or sit next to the water dish waiting for someone to pass by. So after getting through the holidays, and winter, we really began missing a dogs presence in the home. It took more than four years between the beagle I brought with me  into this my current marriage, and Lucy.  So as my husband is the PWP, we would look for a new dog when he felt he was ready.  And we would rescue this time. So one morning he showed me a picture, and said what do you think about this guy? I said he was cute. And then he told me he applied.  After a long couple of weeks, we were approved.  Now Marley’s bio said he was chill just like Bob Marley, and 2 1/2.. all wrong. He is just over one, and very active. But he is so cute and funny, and a love. And my shadow.  He loves to zoom around the yard, treats, and his fence friend Petey. And while he has gotten my husband moving more, he takes the morning shifts so I sleep later. My husband has night terrors so I fall asleep after him to make sure his night meds have kicked in. And once this pea soup weather is over, I cannot wait to walk him again.. although this is the first beagle we have had that loves being out in the high humidity.. I hope he loves the snow, our previous beagles loved it!! I wish I knew how to attach a pic here to show a pic of our Marley..

• tim-brindley

August 4, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Marie

one of our rescued dogs is a beagle and she’ll be 19 yrs old in October. She’s only barked 3 times in the 8 years we’ve had her. She love the rain and snow.

yes Arizona does get snow each winter as I live in Prescott and it’s 5484ft high where my house is.

• ken-aidekman

August 7, 2022 at 3:55 pm

We have Mooka, our seven year old Whippet. She has black and white spots much like a cow. Mooka helps me with my Parkinson’s by taking me out for daily 2 mile walks. I don’t know who enjoys the Walk more. Mooka gets all excited at the beginning pulling on her leash and sniffing everywhere. By the second mile she tires enough to walk along side me. Then on the homestretch she starts to drag due to all the hot weather.

Mooka is also a championship napping dog. I appreciate that because with PD I do a fair bit of napping and she keeps me company.

Ken

• nsurit

August 9, 2022 at 2:46 pm

I share a house with my wife and two cats (Mac and Apple.) The cats have been with us about 2 years and are very affectionate and entertaining. Just like their humans, the cats have the particular set of behaviors, many of which, put a smile on my face or a chuckle in my throat. Each night as I get ready for bed and get my current book ready to read, Mac jumps on my chest and starts kneading my stomach and does anything he can to distract me and keep me from reading. If I push him further away from my face and start reading, in a few moments, his little tuxedo face/nose appears under my book as he reclaims his position on my chest/stomach. During this ordeal there is only one thing to do, laugh and tell him how much you love him and what a good boy he is. So, yes, I have two cats and cannot imagine life with a cat or cats. My wife loves them as much as I do and were I alone the care of the cats would be more challenging. The cat we had prior to these two lived for 20+ years and was also a delight.

• nsurit

August 9, 2022 at 2:54 pm

I share a house with my wife and two cats (Mac and Apple.) The cats have been with us about 2 years and are very affectionate and entertaining. Just like their humans, the cats have the particular set of behaviors, many of which, put a smile on my face or a chuckle in my throat. Each night as I get ready for bed and get my current book ready to read, Mac jumps on my chest and starts kneading my stomach and does anything he can to distract me and keep me from reading. If I push him further away from my face and start reading, in a few moments, his little tuxedo face/nose appears under my book as he reclaims his position on my chest/stomach. During this ordeal there is only one thing to do, laugh and tell him how much you love him and what a good boy he is. So, yes, I have two cats and cannot imagine life without a cat or cats. My wife loves them as much as I do and were I alone the care of the cats would be more challenging. The cat we had prior to these two lived for 20+ years and was also a delight.

• marla-klein

August 11, 2022 at 7:30 pm

My husband and I never had any pets growing up once Herb was diagnosed with Parkinson’s and it began to get worse he kept saying he would like to have an animal I contacted a woman who helps place dogs that she can’t show with people with medical or emotional issues. We were not able to pick Oscar our Shitzu  but after meeting snd interviewing us and  knowing we were first time dog owners she decided to help us. She picked  the right dog for us Oscar kept him for 4.5 months after he was born and made sure right temperament for Herbs needs.  he has been a joy, living never barks or jumps trains easily and when Herb fell over a  year ago he stayed  by his side  till help arrived. Kind loving knows when he needs to be close sbd I was very hesitant but I must confess I have gone to live our 14 pound 2 plus year old Shitzu Oscar and feel lucky to have him as our kids f sad o far away. My husband loves him so and it has helped him to have Oscar by his side.

• marla-klein

August 11, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Sorry  about typos but I’m sure u get the idea of what I had to say

• tim-brindley

August 11, 2022 at 7:45 pm

I make mistakes every post.

So do most others.

Don’t even fret one I -oh-da.

• alan-m

August 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Hey Ally:

My three sons have three cats — in order of age —- Lucy (13), Nermal (11) and Mittens (6)
    Their parents feed them daily, let then sleep on their bed, take them to the Vet when necessary, and ensure they are safe and well cared for.

Wish I were a cat in our family.

• lamar-cartwright

August 24, 2022 at 3:51 am

I adore pets. I have two cats.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 21, 2023 at 6:17 am

I have a small dog. Ever watch your pup struggle with itchy skin, scratching until they’re raw? My golden retriever, Luna, used to drive me crazy with it. Tried everything, until I found apoquel for dogs. Now, she doesnt back to belly rubs and zoomies. Wish I’d found them sooner!

• andreas-grueneberg

December 21, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Pets have always been an extremely important part of our lives. Until we recently sold our farm we had literally dozens of various types of pets both indoors and outside. Now that we have moved to a small town because of my Parkinsons we have an old cat and two very active parrots. We love them and they are always challenging. They help fulfill our lives and are great therapy

• don-backens

December 21, 2023 at 3:24 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I think pets are the best therapy possible. However, just before my Parkinson’s and Lewy Body diagnosis last year we decided to get a puppy…duh.. not only that, she’s a French bulldog with more energy than I’ve ever had. She is a pain, but brings a lot of laughter and she quickly became part of the family.

• Jim Brennan

December 21, 2023 at 6:33 pm

No.

• kenneth

January 23, 2024 at 1:51 pm

Hey Ally! Absolutely, I have a playful Labrador named Max. Caring for him brings so much joy, even with my health challenges. Surprisingly, he intuitively senses my hard days and provides comfort. Pets truly make a difference! By the way, check out https://petgnearme.com/ for some fantastic pet-related resources!

• ally

January 30, 2024 at 8:22 pm

A few other people in this forum have mentioned how intuitive their pets seem to be regarding their physical and mental well-being. It’s so special! So glad you have Max as your companion and friend. 🙂

• hazzard

January 25, 2024 at 2:40 pm

I have a 9.5lb miniature dachshund (jojo) who is my constant companion, when i get stressed we go for a walk around the block, he walks right next to me but stays out from under my feet. I have had PD since 2015 and just petting jojo makes my stress melt away. I can’t imagine life without him, I truly believe my jojo contributes to my quality of life.

• ally

January 30, 2024 at 8:20 pm

Picturing you and Jojo out for a walk put a smile on face. 🙂 I’m so glad Jojo brings so much happiness to your life.

• sherri

January 26, 2024 at 5:12 pm

Hi Ally I have a Great Dane and Australian Shepherd. I have to walk them even when tired or having back pain. If not, my Dane, Bleu vocalizes until I do. It snaps me out of my pity party every time.

• ally

January 30, 2024 at 8:19 pm

I love both of those breeds! They’re both generally so cheerful and loyal. It sounds like Bleu helps you stay present and positive which is a wonderful trait in a dog.

• dtm23020optonline-net

January 29, 2024 at 4:05 am

We have a wonderful rescue beagle. He is our 3rd beagle. And on his own his wakes up my husband when having night terrors. And as soon as my hubby say, good boy, I’m ok, he goes back to bed. We did not teach him, he noticed changes ion his own

• ally

January 30, 2024 at 8:18 pm

This is so sweet! Your pup is clearly very compassionate and bonded to your husband. Sounds like a great companion and friend.

• annie

February 1, 2024 at 2:12 pm

I have a wonderful cat named Roofus because he was living in the roof of the house that I rented when I first moved to this town four and a half years ago. I saw him on the roof the first day that I lived there but I didn’t realise that he was my “upstairs neighbour”. He snores and through the ceiling it sounded like heavy breathing; I knew that I was alone in the house so I was very perplexed and a bit scared. My sister visited the next weekend, spotted him on the roof trying to hide by ducking down behind the guttering- but he left his ears showing. She was very excited, raided my kitchen cupboard for some tuna to put outside and when it was eaten overnight she organised my first “crazy cat lady kit” and made me promise to keep feeding him.

I kept putting food out and it kept disappearing but it was about six weeks before I actually saw him eating it. Gradually he became braver and would approach as I was putting the food down. Eventually he ventured inside when I left the door open. I let him investigate and do things on his own time schedule. It didn’t take long for him to enjoy and take advantage of the comforts of the warm house with plenty of soft sleeping spots rather than the cold drafty roof, soon I had a four legged furry roommate (or perhaps boss?).

We have been together for a few years, have moved house, survived a flood and have become very close. Roofus is a great support in many ways, being particularly good for my mental and emotional health. He has transitioned well to becoming an inside cat as is demanded (although not enforced) by our local council. I feed him on his own table as it’s easier and safer for me than bending over and standing. I do find managing the litter box challenging but we have three of them so he has options if I’m not able to deal with the tasks in as timely a manner as he and I would like. I haven’t found that he trips me up at all but he does pounce on my feet when they move under the bedcovers – not so much of a problem in winter with plenty of padding but in summer with only a sheet and possibly a light blanket, I often wake with a scream. If anyone has any suggestions (that don’t involve shutting him out of my bedroom) I would appreciate them. Also any suggestions about how to best manage the litter trays?

Thanks.

• ally

February 20, 2024 at 1:24 pm

Aww, Roofus sounds like a wonderful companion! Thanks for sharing, Annie. 🙂