Tagged: ,

• Do you cramp up alot?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on November 1, 2021 at 11:59 am

My dad recently shared that he experiences a lot of cramping. And he wonders if it could be associated with tremors or other Parkinson’s symptoms. While this is the first time I’ve heard of excessive cramping, I was curious if any of you have experienced a lot of cramping? And do you think it could be associated with PD?

susan-watkins replied 2 years, 5 months ago 12 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • joakim

November 2, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I do since about a year ago (diagnosed 6 yrs ago). Dystonia. For me, my left foot cramps up, usually 30 minutes after taking levdopa dose. I started botox shots in my calf and shin to combat it, but this last round hasn’t been as successful in abetting the cramps. I’m told DBS would help this condition. Cramping otherwise is exasperated by dehydration, and I wonder at times, anxiety.

• rcb1040

November 2, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Mary Beth

This past summer, I was getting cramping in feet and calves and then a weird “Popeye” muscle cramp in one of my biceps.  It looked and felt like a tennis ball.  My doctor solved by changing me to a three hour pill regime and adding one extended release carbidopa/levopa pill to each dose of regular carbidopa/levodopa (I take two regular pills) to keep the dopamine level up and it went away  When my magic pills are wearing off my “popeye” bicep is a first sign.  I now take the magic pills six times a day.

Thanks,

Robert C

• mary-beth-skylis

November 3, 2021 at 8:01 am

Robert,

It’s interesting that modifications in your medication routine seem to be helping. I know my dad has been experiencing cramping, and I’m not sure if he has shifted anything with Levidopa to accommodate the cramping. It could be dehydration as well.

• troy

November 2, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Hello Mary Beth,

Yes- I cramp up a lot now, at least compared to what used to be normal for me. Every now and then, if I didn’t drink enough water, I’d cramp up in one foot in the middle of the night.

Now, day or night, even with enough water, I can cramp up in both feet, calves and hamstrings all at the same time. Sometimes, my toes cramp and dig into my shoes, like they want to roll under my feet (not too big a deal if I’m wearing my roomy Crocs- ha ha!). I don’t know what this trick is called, but I don’t like it!!!

I take potassium supplements (one a day) and some over the counter leg cramp supplements that I buy from Walmart. Don’t know how much it helps…

• troy

November 2, 2021 at 4:06 pm

***Also have dystonia in hands- don’t know if this is part of the same cramping that I experience in legs/feet or a different kind of cramping? L-dopa keeps it mostly under control.

• George Sharp

November 2, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Hi I find that if I take Magnesium it seems to settle the cramps  down .  George

• troy

November 3, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, George! Yes- I failed to mention that I do take magnesium as well (for a few different reasons), in addition to the potassium. I have found that Sam’s Club (and Costco?) usually offers a pretty good deal on magnesium, if it helps anybody. Have a great day!!!

• troy

November 4, 2021 at 12:04 pm

***Highland’s Leg Cramps supplement (Walmart). Took a couple last night 🙂

• tekisui

November 2, 2021 at 4:08 pm

My late-stage PD patient has an ongoing problem with cramping, and I believe it is related to his strong and persistent tremors.

• francisco-manuel-goncalves

November 3, 2021 at 12:01 am

No inicio da doença, 2014/2015, tive um ou outro caso, mas nos últimos anos não tive.

• billt

November 3, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Mary Beth, Some years ago I took magnesium malate supplements to great affect in reducing/eliminating muscle cramps that I attributed, at the time, to the aftereffects of physical exertion. I am inclined now to think that those cramps were early signs of my own PD, as my PD father also suffered from severe cramps. There is some evidence now that PD brains are considerably deficient in magnesium, so six months ago I started taking magnesium supplements again to see if they would have any effect on my PD muscle cramps and body aches. The results were dramatic and nearly eliminated my cramps and aching overnight. I presently take 500 mg of magnesium threonate three times a day, plus 500 mg of magnesium malate once in the morning. Magnesium threonate is said to be the better of the magnesiums for absorption in the brain, which seems to have proven itself in my case. I can only speak of what works for me, but it most definitely works in my case. I hope your father can find similar relief.

• clive-varejes

November 4, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Hi guys,

I have not experienced cramping as yet, but what I do know is that a lack of potassium is a primary cause of muscles cramping up.

I am a Scuba Dive Master and when I first started diving I was under the impression that it was a lack of salt, however I learned that is totally incorrect. As you can imaging when you are diving, the last thing you need is for your muscles to cramp.

I always advise my students to eat a banana or 2 every day to avoid the cramping. Bananas have about 500mg of potassium. As long as you are eating properly and having foods that are high in potassium like fish, red meat chicken etc. you should have no problem.

I know they recommended about 3500mg of potassium a day, however I have never had that amount and I very seldom have cramps.

I just hate taking additional vitamin pills unless totally necessary. As any good doctor/nutritionist  will tell you, all that does is make the manufactutrers really rich and cause you to have very expensive urine, as your body expells the additional vitamins as urine.

That being said I realize that PD is a totally different situation and we do need additional potassium, manganise and others but please remember not to waste your money by taking needless amounts.

• Rick Tabakin

November 5, 2021 at 6:40 am

Yes, I have PD (diagnosed 3 yrs ago) and experience a lot of cramping. Primarily in the legs. Mostly at night, but sometimes during the day. I try to stay hydrated, but that does not appear to help much. Have to get up and “walk off” the cramp.

• billt

November 5, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Rick — I am cautious in offering my solutions to others, but if you are not taking magnesium supplements I urge you to give it a try. It’s relatively cheap, has minimal side effects and you will know overnight if it works for you.

• francisco-manuel-goncalves

November 5, 2021 at 7:39 am

No inicio da doença, 7 anos aproximadamente tive alguns episódios de caimbras.Já há alguns anos que não tenho.Em minha opinião julgo que se deve ao facto de 3 vezes por semana ter fisioterapia, nos restantes dias, faço caminhada sempre superior a 10000 pés.

Translated via Google translate:

I did not start my teaching, 7 years approximately I have had some episodes of goats. There have been some years that I have not had. Em minha opinião July that it became a fact of 3 times a week after physiotherapy, we remaining days, always more than 10,000 feet walked.

• john-bredenkamp

November 12, 2021 at 12:15 am

I was diagnosed with PD 18 months ago at the age of 70. I have always been active and never had cramps until about six weeks ago. I have a weekly one on one Pilates class and lately have been experiencing severe cramping in my calves, but mainly in the arches of my feet and 4th and 5th toes of my left foot. Before bed I take two magnesium capsules which seem to help with sleep but not the cramping.

• billt

November 13, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Hi, John.  Have you tried taking magnesium supplements in the morning? I have found that a daily (morning) supplement of magnesium malate has significantly reduced by PD related muscle cramps.

• susan-watkins

November 17, 2021 at 12:39 am

I found drinking 2 6 to 8 ounce glasses of tonic water a day as I am only on Azilecy at this time.