• Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on December 6, 2021 at 7:23 am

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2013. He went through a period of denial, where he hoped that the doctors got the diagnosis wrong. And then he began slowly adapting to the idea that Parkinson’s was his new normal. Now, on most days, he accepts the reality of the disease and doesn’t try to fight it. But I know that not everyone is as accepting of their condition. Did you ever reach a point of acceptance with the disease?

Kate replied 2 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Clive Varejes

December 7, 2021 at 9:30 am

Yes, I accepted the diagnosis after a bit of shouting, screaming, laughing, running,.kicking………………

I did realize, that no matter how much I railed against the situation, it was not going to change, so acceptance seemed/was the only option.

As Michael Fox stated:   “Acceptance does not mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there’s got to be a way through it.”

Of course I did, as do almost all, shout ‘But Why Me??????’    Then I realized, ‘but why not me?

So yea, I have accepted the situation.

Clive

• Alan M

December 8, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Great response, Clive!

Amazingly, I was too stunned (in shock) to dispute or deny the diagnosis by my brilliant neurologist. In fact, my spouse doubted his prowess and wisdom more than I did in the beginning.

Settling for it seemed inevitable, to my way of thinking. I hope some day some bright sparks come up with a “miracle cure”. MJFF is a global leader in this arena I reckon. But I won’t be surprised if this doesn’t come along much after I’m gone (in 15-18 years or so).

The Why question seemed futile — I tell this to most of my clients. I had to adhere to my own advice this time. The What and How questions yield more fecund fruit, most likely.

Alan

• Lee Ritsick

December 9, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Well, for me, there’s intellectual acceptance and there’s emotional acceptance.

Intellectually I know that there are wonderful meds to keep symptoms in check and my fear of being totally dependent and debilitated may never occur.

Emotionally, however, I find it hard to accept the potential that ‘may’ await.  I think about it a lot.  I often wonder why be told about this disease until it interferes with one’s life?

I sincerely hope I can gain total acceptance and continue to live and enjoy the present.

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and my only obvious symptoms are hand and leg tremors.

• Garry Maxfield

December 9, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Well I thought I might have had a different ailment, then I was diagnosed …

Took about 10 seconds to accept the fact

Oh well;

I have Parkinsons;

Now what?;

Acceptance is half the cure;

Take your medicine, do your exercises, NEVER give up on life;

Besides, maybe I can be a role model for someone else who is suffering…..

• Marlyne Wilder

December 9, 2021 at 10:58 pm

I believe I have Parkinson’s.  I know that my future is now uncontrollable. I am not at peace with my circumstances.

• Garry Maxfield

December 14, 2021 at 9:00 pm

Hi Marlyne,

Your future is never uncontrollable; you are always in control.

You may never know the reason why but acceptance is half the battle

Your attitude is your greatest medicine…..

Garry

• Alan Berry

December 10, 2021 at 7:09 am

Yes! Very soon after I was diagnosed. But now I am up in the air again. My neurologist hasn’t spoken to me in six months. A doctor I see at the Geriatric Clinic of Oakville Hospital believes I don’t have Parkinson’s at all. Says I don’t walk, talk and have tremors. So I must have a brain scan on December 22. Is it Lewy Bodies or something even worse. ???? Guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I will tell you when I know.

Before I go Christmas greetings  to all Parkinson’s patients, care givers, volunteers and all involved in these uplifting daily thoughts.

alan

• Sandy Harnagel

December 29, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Yes, I have accepted that I have PD. My family and husband treat me the same way they always have. I have PD and i ask them to treat me the same way they always have. I am not trying to show off or any of that stuff. I have just accepted.

• Kate

January 1, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Yes, I’ve accepted my diagnosis both emotionally and intellectually.  There are far worse diseases, in my opinion AND we are only given the present moment to live. When I feel challenged I think of the high income financial services victims who worked in the World Trade Center on 9/11. They didn’t have Parkinson’s, they may have had a great deal of material wealth but they didn’t get to go home to their loved ones on that tragic day. Our attitude affects many outcomes in life and I decided to live my life as a role model for others, to be the example I want to see in others. I continue to advocate for PD patients, increase my knowledge and understanding of the disease, and “push the envelope” to challenge myself with new endeavors, particularly physical/athletic challenges such as 5K events, etc. Life is already too short: I decided to accept my diagnosis, adhere to my PT, OT and medication regimen and keep moving!