• clive-varejes

December 7, 2021 at 9:30 am

Yes, I accepted the diagnosis after a bit of shouting, screaming, laughing, running,.kicking………………

I did realize, that no matter how much I railed against the situation, it was not going to change, so acceptance seemed/was the only option.

As Michael Fox stated:   “Acceptance does not mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there’s got to be a way through it.”

Of course I did, as do almost all, shout ‘But Why Me??????’    Then I realized, ‘but why not me?

So yea, I have accepted the situation.

Clive

• alan-m

December 8, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Great response, Clive!

Amazingly, I was too stunned (in shock) to dispute or deny the diagnosis by my brilliant neurologist. In fact, my spouse doubted his prowess and wisdom more than I did in the beginning.

Settling for it seemed inevitable, to my way of thinking. I hope some day some bright sparks come up with a “miracle cure”. MJFF is a global leader in this arena I reckon. But I won’t be surprised if this doesn’t come along much after I’m gone (in 15-18 years or so).

The Why question seemed futile — I tell this to most of my clients. I had to adhere to my own advice this time. The What and How questions yield more fecund fruit, most likely.

Alan

• lee-ritsick

December 9, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Well, for me, there’s intellectual acceptance and there’s emotional acceptance.

Intellectually I know that there are wonderful meds to keep symptoms in check and my fear of being totally dependent and debilitated may never occur.

Emotionally, however, I find it hard to accept the potential that ‘may’ await.  I think about it a lot.  I often wonder why be told about this disease until it interferes with one’s life?

I sincerely hope I can gain total acceptance and continue to live and enjoy the present.

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and my only obvious symptoms are hand and leg tremors.

• garry-maxfield

December 9, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Well I thought I might have had a different ailment, then I was diagnosed …

Took about 10 seconds to accept the fact

Oh well;

I have Parkinsons;

Now what?;

Acceptance is half the cure;

Take your medicine, do your exercises, NEVER give up on life;

Besides, maybe I can be a role model for someone else who is suffering…..

• marlyne-wilder

December 9, 2021 at 10:58 pm

I believe I have Parkinson’s.  I know that my future is now uncontrollable. I am not at peace with my circumstances.

• garry-maxfield

December 14, 2021 at 9:00 pm

Hi Marlyne,

Your future is never uncontrollable; you are always in control.

You may never know the reason why but acceptance is half the battle

Your attitude is your greatest medicine…..

Garry

• alan-berry

December 10, 2021 at 7:09 am

Yes! Very soon after I was diagnosed. But now I am up in the air again. My neurologist hasn’t spoken to me in six months. A doctor I see at the Geriatric Clinic of Oakville Hospital believes I don’t have Parkinson’s at all. Says I don’t walk, talk and have tremors. So I must have a brain scan on December 22. Is it Lewy Bodies or something even worse. ???? Guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I will tell you when I know.

Before I go Christmas greetings  to all Parkinson’s patients, care givers, volunteers and all involved in these uplifting daily thoughts.

alan

• sandy-harnagel

December 29, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Yes, I have accepted that I have PD. My family and husband treat me the same way they always have. I have PD and i ask them to treat me the same way they always have. I am not trying to show off or any of that stuff. I have just accepted.

• rnmsn2021

January 1, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Yes, I’ve accepted my diagnosis both emotionally and intellectually.  There are far worse diseases, in my opinion AND we are only given the present moment to live. When I feel challenged I think of the high income financial services victims who worked in the World Trade Center on 9/11. They didn’t have Parkinson’s, they may have had a great deal of material wealth but they didn’t get to go home to their loved ones on that tragic day. Our attitude affects many outcomes in life and I decided to live my life as a role model for others, to be the example I want to see in others. I continue to advocate for PD patients, increase my knowledge and understanding of the disease, and “push the envelope” to challenge myself with new endeavors, particularly physical/athletic challenges such as 5K events, etc. Life is already too short: I decided to accept my diagnosis, adhere to my PT, OT and medication regimen and keep moving!