Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s Will you continue to get COVID boosters and vaccines?

Tagged: , ,

• Will you continue to get COVID boosters and vaccines?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on August 8, 2022 at 2:38 pm

I recently read that the White House is hoping to launch an initiative that would develop another generation of Covid vaccines. This step could potentially help us to deal with variants more efficiently down the line. I’ve often wondered if getting a COVID shot or booster is going to become routine (like the flu shot). 

Will you continue to get Covid boosters and vaccines if they come out? Why or why not?

kenneth replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 29 Members · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • nsurit

August 9, 2022 at 2:22 pm

Probably not. Got the first round of two shots. Got Covid anyway. Absolutely no way to prove the shots helped any. Now have the shots and the antibodies from having Covid. Once again, no way to prove that puts me in a better or worse position.  Too many obvious lies by people in power who said they were following the science and clearly were not.  What factual reason might I want to get another jab?

• terri-d

August 9, 2022 at 4:59 pm

I will certainly take a new Covid vaccine/booster!! The better I’m covered the better I feel.
      Terri D

• ally

August 10, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for replying, Terri. I have had 3 doses so far and I will probably get a 4th dose soon. I’m thinking it’s like the flu vaccine, which you need annually for it to be effective.

• terry-f

August 12, 2022 at 7:49 am

I’m with you and Terri. I’ve had the initial two shots and two boosters. I’m anticipating the next booster will include additional coverage for the Omicron variant.

I fully expect covid vaccinations to become like the yearly flu shots as this pandemic becomes more of an endemic.

I am very fortunate to have two brilliant step-children who have doctorates in microbiology. Both tell me the same thing…this will be with us for a very long time.

• gregg-i-daniels

November 2, 2022 at 7:14 am

My wife and I got the initial shot and then one booster.  Neither of us got Covid.  However, we know a lot of people who got 2 or 3 shots and still got Covid.  Some more serious than others.  We also know people who didn’t get any shots and some got Covid of varying seriousness while others didn’t get it at all.  I also believe that it will be around a long time and will continue to produce more variants, some of which will produce illness and others will not.  Like a lot of viruses, i.e. the flu, common cold, Covid can mutate into different variants faster than science can keep up.  Getting a flu shot every year protects you from about 50% of flu variants.  I imagine the Covid vaccines will be similar.  The other thing about the Covid vaccines is the newness of mRNA vaccines and the known and unknown possible side effects.  I know several people who have had side effects such as rapid heart beat or the vaccine simply made them very sick.  Of course the drug companies can deny it was the vaccines and the problems were just coincidence.  Not to mention they are immune from any lawsuits.  I do believe that mRNA vaccines can be the wave of the future for a lot of illnesses but we are not there yet.  So, our decision at this point is to not get any further shots but rather try to keep our immunes systems working well.  I am 72 and have had  tremor dominant PD for 11 yrs. I got DBS in 2020 and it has helped a lot.  I exercise a lot and “try” to eat properly.  My background is in neuroscience with ongoing studies through MIT in genetics and biochemistry.  I am no expert by any means, but have done a lot of homework on the mRNA vaccines.

• smitty7

December 29, 2022 at 7:44 pm

No  too much information about the dangers of the vaccine. Under reported side effects and  deaths from the vaccine. 2 people I know died and several injured from the vaccine  .

• Jon Busch

November 1, 2022 at 2:47 pm

Well I’ve not heard of any good reason not to get boosted. I think I’ve had 5 shots total. I haven’t got COVID. I get flu sots every year and haven’t once had the flu. I’ve gotten them all and I’m pretty healthy except for PD.

• krukar

August 9, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Mary Beth,

I have gotten all the shots. I still got the virus but we believe it was more mild than it would have been otherwise.

I will get the next shot the CDC recommends

for sure. I remember that the virus is not political. Very good question because we will all have that choice soon enough.

Blessings,

Mike

• mary-beth-skylis

August 11, 2022 at 10:14 am

Krukar,

My dad is in the same boat. He has had several shots. He had covid earlier this year. And his version of it lasted twice as long as my mom’s (who had it at the same time). I think it probably prevented some more serious complications.

• tim-brindley

August 9, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Oh hell no !!!   I don’t like the follow the leader approach to getting the shots.

I’ve never had any shots or boosters.

I’ve had Covid and I believe like in the old days if you get and live thru it then your natural immune system will kick in.

My immune system still works !!!

• mary-beth-skylis

August 11, 2022 at 10:15 am

I definitely understand the skepticism, Tim. Thank you for sharing.

• kevin-mcguinness

August 9, 2022 at 2:57 pm

I will definitely take any booster available to me.  I have not had covid and surely don’t want it in the future .  I get a flu shot every year and if there is a booster for the variants i will be the first in line.

• alicia-ten-eyck

August 9, 2022 at 3:33 pm

No, I don’t think so. I’m in the cynical camp: not sure the shots work, not sure it is true that having the shots makes your covid less severe. If there is a silver lining, it is that the pharmaceutical firms are flush these days, and the medical community that gets paid for each dose is doing fine

• sherri

August 9, 2022 at 8:22 pm

I believe the shots work and will definitely get the new shot which covers more strains when it comes out.

• adam

August 11, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Like Tim and Bill – NO.  I’ve had two shots and a booster (have not had covid) but now believe the mRNA vaccines compromise the immune system.

• Rick Tabakin

August 11, 2022 at 7:04 pm

I will continue to get boosters as they become available.  I think that the Covid vaccine will continue to be modified as new variants arise.

Down the road, I envision an annual Flu/Covid vaccination.

• valtiree

August 13, 2022 at 12:46 am

Four shots so far and I guess more to come, possibly on an annual basis akin to flu shots.

A Covid positive test was followed by feeling slightly below par for one day only but very prompt application of anti-virals probably helped.

Over a third of all Australian Covid deaths are the unvaccinated but they are only 3% of the population.

• cynthia-ball

October 23, 2022 at 5:23 pm

It’s funny to me how every other vaccine has managed to escape becoming a political badge.  Many here have mentioned the flu shot and whether or not they get them.  Yet, I don’t think anyone looked at those decisions and thought, “oh, we know what side he’s on!”  Rather, we rightly chalked it up to personal preference, and more of a respectful “you do you, and I’ll do me.”  My husband has Parkinson’s.  He’s also one of the ones that ended up with a heart attack after the 2nd dose, and a deep vain thrombosis after his booster.  This absolutely could be a coincidence, but why wouldn’t that make us think twice about the next booster?  I wish, though, that I was able to just talk through those fears with anyone without being labeled, scorned, told I’m uneducated, etc.  I don’t know which way we will go, but it would be nice to speak freely without the judgement.

• marlene-donnelly

October 25, 2022 at 2:17 pm

I will definitely take whatever vaccines and boosters come my way, be it for COVID or anything else!  Why?  I was always the sickly child, and even as an adult, if there is something to be caught, I catch it (I’ve had COVID twice so far).  However, since I always avail myself of any protective measures there are, I’m still alive and kicking at almost 76.  Getting the COVID vaccines and boosters doesn’t mean you can’t get the virus; it means your body is in a better position to fight it off if and when you do get it.  Get it?

• mark-caldwell

October 25, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Yes. I have had my two shots and three boosters. I will get another booster this weekend and my year flu shot. I am thankful for not being very susceptible to viruses, my wife came down with Covid in May, and I escaped without getting it. I tested myself every 5 days and nada!
    I truly believe that we must avoid politicization of vaccines and diseases.

Mark

• mark-caldwell

October 25, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Yes. I have had my two shots and three boosters. I will get another booster this weekend and my year flu shot. I am thankful for not being very susceptible to viruses, my wife came down with Covid in May, and I escaped without getting it. I tested myself every 5 days and nada!
    I truly believe that we must avoid politicization of vaccines and diseases.

Mark

• William R

October 25, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Absolutely.  I am a firm believer in immunizations.  It just makes sense biologically.  I did get covid but I also believe that it would have much worse without the boosters.  I feel for and perfectly understand Cynthia Ball’s situation.  The chances of what happened to her husband are probably small but if it happens to you it is 100%.  Do not worry about being judged for people who judge are trying to justify their position and make up for inadequacies of their own.  You and your husband are in my prayers.

• dtm23020optonline-net

October 26, 2022 at 12:31 am

Absolutely not!!! @Cynthia Ball I am so sorry for your husband after both shots. My friends dad had the shot, got a clot, then surgery, then passed. However, her dad also check himself out of the hospital AMA, didn’t do stated exercises. But I would have waited on a knee replacement if I had a clot after getting the shot. No one in my house got the shot. I had one doctor tell me due to my egg allergy not to get it.  And then also after all the people going into anaphylactic shock when getting it, I question it. I am very allergic to all penicillins, and all fish. So that was a hard no for me. My husband who has Parkinson’s has thickened heart walls from the days when he lifted weights, and my son, had objections from the ingredients.

But this also is not a “vaccine” in its true form. A vaccine prevents disease. This shot definitely does not. It doesn’t prevent the spread or even prevent people from getting the disease. In my family alone everyone who has gotten the jab has gotten covid at least twice. Except my mom who lives at a planned community, and they did a really good job at controlling the spread. But I will say that right after they gave the newest booster, 7 people got covid right away, and 50 people had to be quarantined. I plan to call her tomorrow to see if more people have it or if we can finally get together.

Also the the flu and covid are two different types of shots, one is an actual vaccine, the other one as someone mentioned above is breaking down our bodies own immunity every time you get a booster, is a MRNA shot. Doing damage to young peoples hearts.I think if you have have had two that is enough,, and have had Covid you have natural immunity you are good, but that is my thinking … so I do not think an actual flu/covid shot combined will ever be a thing, more my thinking.

And no one judges here!!  I also am grateful NOT A SINGLE one of my friends judged me for not getting the shot. When all of my friends got together last summer, I mentioned I was not “vaxed” and if they did not want me to go.. it was perfectly ok by me.. everyone said are you crazy?? And all friends are very good at who has a sniffle, or cough, do you want to go out, or reschedule? As some have grandkids at home, or others who are compromised. So we all are good that way as well. And that it has become so political is so very sad.

• jbyers

October 31, 2022 at 12:41 pm

Yes of course! I’ve had Covid, and don’t ever want to go through that again. I’ve also gotten my Flu shot,

• sherman-paskett

November 1, 2022 at 5:33 pm

Been jabbed 5 times; never had a serious reaction, nothing more than a bit of fatigue the next day.

PD for me gets incrementally worse every time I suffer any kind of physical trauma, be it a serious injury or surgery or even a bad cold. I do not enjoy the PD experience so I will get any kind of vaccination that is offered: flu, shingles, pneumonia, you name it. If I can get it, I will.

• ally

December 20, 2022 at 3:16 pm

Is anyone planning to get another vaccine before the holidays? Is anyone still rapid testing before family/friend gatherings? It seems to be a real mixed approach where I am in Toronto.

• penelope

December 23, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Definitely will.

Have had the  four, also had Covid and the antivirals.

Heavy cough which is still not totally gone after two months.

But, firmly believe that I would have been much sicker without the vaccine.

I believe we need to take advantage of every bit of medical advancement we can.

• Jim Brennan

December 27, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Yes “

• nsurit

December 27, 2022 at 6:27 pm

As before, I got the first two shots, got Covid, no boosters after having Covid. Currently in my second go round of Covid. Still have seen no compelling evidence that shots or boosters do alot of good. Claims of “less severity” seem impossible to scientifically prove.

• gregg-i-daniels

December 28, 2022 at 5:37 am

Bill, I agree with you on every point.  Both my wife and I initially got a shot and a booster in 2021.  No shots since.  We both got Covid over Thanksgiving and it lasted about 7 days and seemed like a flu/cold hybrid.  Except for loosing my sense of taste and smell off and on for 3 weeks, and my wife having a recurring mild sore throat for about 3 weeks, we have had no lingering effects.  Now they are saying get another booster even if you had a booster over 3 months ago.  No thanks.

• elaine-lucas

December 29, 2022 at 9:06 am

No no no – we have been the Guinea pigs and people are dying of blood clots and more as more evidence comes out. I had three shots reluctantly but no more.

• nsurit

December 29, 2022 at 12:36 pm

Guess I might have also reported that I’m 78 years old and have Parkinson’s Disease and remain pretty active.  No more jabs here.  Seven days into this round of Covid, I’m feeling better. Staying away from others and the gym as I await a negative test.

• edward-fritz

December 29, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Yes I will. At 72 y.o. I caught a new variant of Covid that the vaccines and boosters were not specifically designed for, and it kicked my butt! Without the immunizations/boosters I likely would have been hospitalized. The vaccines are changed to adapt to new variants as they occur – which viruses often do. I try to stay healthy, but I’ll take all the help I can get as age and PD make me more susceptible to serious illnesses.

Page 1 of 2