Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

I’ve recently been paying a lot of attention to my energy levels. And I’ve found that, on most days, a gym session or a good workout actually seems to give me more energy. Have you found that going to the gym increases your energy, too? Or does it deplete you?

Clive Varejes
      Participant

Hi Mary,

I go to gym and cycle 4-5 times a week.

Not only does it give me more energy, but it seems to somehow negate a lot of the symptoms of PD.

Perhaps that is just the endomorphin, however whatever it is, it does make me feel better.

Karla Burkhart
        Participant

Most of the time it energizes me but if I go tired, I am even more tired when finished.

Barry Block
      Participant

I work out virtually 5 times a week. It is the most important and effective treatment for PD. I combine aerobics (Zumba), weight training (5 lbs), and yoga/stretching and include balance exercises. I also try to take a mile walk when the weather permits.  I am 73 and my PD has only progressed slightly in 3 years.

Louis Comitini
      Participant

Hi Mary,

For me working out is now my savior.  When I was diagnosed August 12th  2018  3 1/2 years ago, I rarely exercised at all, a few walks with my wife or a slow bike ride around my village in Hudson, Qc, Canada that’s it.  When the neurologist told me get my vacations in and get your affairs together, I freaked out with the news and asked her is there anything I can do to slow down the process?  She and then my second opinion Neurologist told me there are a few things you can do, eat right and get lots of exercise.

The next day I started biking 15  to 20 km a day and have not stopped exercising and stretching since.  Now I do a variety of exercises everyday excluding when I had my rotator surgery a couple of years ago.  Not sure if that was the right decision or not but it’s done and I have to go forward.

As per energy, it’s everything to me, the few days I have taken off I feel so guilty, it drives me bonkers.  I need to exercise so much that I hired a trainer after a few months and he still trains me at least 2 to 3 times a week, as much as I can afford.  We do many different exercises, balance drills  coordination drills, boxing, I hit him not the reverse :-).  On the days he’s not around I made a small gym in my garage where I have a rower, spin bike, a treadmill and some weights and bands.  In the summer time my wife and I walk 5 to 6 Km (aprox 3 miles) a day and we both go on the tread mill in these freezing cold days!  Exercise changes my day/week  completely, if I don’t exercise I feel like crap the rest of the day.

I also met and follow Alexander Tressor a former professional dancer from Russia (Goggle him he’s unreal) and has been living here for many years he came to North America I believe when he was 16.  He’s inspired me from the first couple of months.  he’s had PD for close to 20 years and is doing fantastic, he is now 63-64? and looks and feels great most of the times.  He is someone I inspire to be like, he stretches and works out  everyday and does not ever miss a day.  Long story short EXERCISE IS A MUST! and YES gives me tons of energy.

Don’t get me wrong here, There are days I’m sad, feel like why me, feel like crap, anxiety hits, legs don’t want to move the way I’d like them to, serious pain in the morning. Now I don’t drink alcohol or beer anymore, go to bed at 8-9 p.m. and wake up at 6 a.m. totally changed my diet, very little meat, healthy shakes daily, fruits and veggies all day long! Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Turmeric pro biotitic, magnesium and lot’s of Omega 3.

That’s my story, please exercise, I GUARATEE YOU… it won’t hurt, but I also guarantee you all it helps!

Love you all, stay strong and healthy

Louis Comitini

Mary Beth Skylis

Louis,

I feel that way, too. Working out keeps me in action, and feeling strong. Do you find that cycling is your favorite exercise?

Beth T Browne
      Participant

Starting a year after my breast cancer, I signed up at 24 Hour Fitness. Went three days a week, working out 1-1/2 hours with weights and treadmill. Did not miss much during the 20 years I went. I stopped the gym at 74 due to bad osteoarthritis, and then just walked.

Since my PD diagnosis I have used the treadmill in our workout place, but not faithfully. When management at my 55+ apartment started exercise classes, I joined right away. That was last Oct. I can’t take the LevaDopa stuff, so I was hoping I could get some Dopamine in my brain working out.

It has been almost 3 yrs now, and I have not progressed very much. However, in April I got Bronchiectasis and was sick most of April, not being able to exercise. Much better this May, but still not 100%. Then I was diagnosed with needing a shoulder replacement due to Osteoarthritis and I could not raise my left arm with hearing bone on bone, so I have not gone back for almost 2 months now. I am feeling tired often, bored, not motivated since I am not exercising. Allergies where I live have caused my lungs to get very sick. But I am happy here and not moving. It is quiet and peaceful.

Two doctors have said my 20 yrs of working out is still with me today and that is why I am so agile. I can dance, and move without pain, so I am fortunate.

If you don’t do anything for yourself, start exercising if you are not doing so now. It is far better then any medicine, I believe.

Mary Beth Skylis

Thank you for sharing, Beth. It can be really frustrating to have disruptions like that. I just had surgery on my foot, so I’ve been unable to exercise in the ways that I usually do. But I think that you’re right. Staying fit seems to improve the quality of my life. Do you have a favorite fitness style? I’ve been shifting more to strength training, lately.

Terry D Friedlander
      Participant

Hi Mary,

I do strength training twice a week which has helped a tremendous amount with my balance (we do a lot of core work) and overall strength. I also do Rock Steady Boxing, on alternate days, which I would recommend to any fellow Parky to do if available in your area.

I still work, reduced my weekly schedule from 48/week to 24 – 30/week, in a retail so I get plenty of walking, lifting and stair work.  This ‘program’ has improved my energy, strength and balance levels. It’s restored my ability to come home and do yard work, house maintenance and my art.  I plan to start riding bikes again.

I’m 71 and three years into my diagnosis.

Mary Beth Skylis

Terry,

My dad did Rock Steady for a number of years. He loved it. And then Covid closed his location down. But I’m so glad to hear that people are still benefiting from boxing. Do you have a favorite boxing routine? Or do you gravitate towards a specific machine?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Verify you are not a robot