Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research Gut bacteria identified in UF study

Tagged: 

• Gail Dons

May 20, 2021 at 6:30 pm

let’s not get too crazy yet About commercial got bacteria products!. These studies only showed that certain bacteria caused abnormal neurodegenerative proteins to build up in the worm C Elegans. A warm intestine is rather different from a human intestine. There may be bacteria that are just as helpful or harmful in humans, but they may be different bacteria from the ones that do that same thing to worms. Fortunately, there are studies being done on human gut bacteria and the different types that are found more often in Parkinson’s patients then people without Parkinson’s. Stay tuned!

• Gwendoline Jakins

May 29, 2021 at 8:41 pm

Infrared light …we have bought my husband a infrared light coronet and I’m ordering a mat as well for the abdomen.  It’s been highly successful for some PD patients, both for motor and cognitive problems.

In The Weekend Australian newspaper this weekend there’s a long article on the results of research done by the Australasian Research Institute using infrared light with a helmet and a mat on the abdomen.

one quote …”It was incredibly exciting to see changes in the microbiome and improvements in symptoms happening at the same time”.

My husband has been taking mannitol for about 18 months with amazing results, both cognitively and in other symptoms as well.  The list is long.  We started on the infrared light a couple of weeks ago because I thought  a couple of symptoms were returning, as in his voice getting softer again and his PD mask getting stronger.  His voice has definitely improved again.

Gwendoline

• Robert Li

May 25, 2021 at 10:06 am

Phil, there’s a much more detailed review of the PD gut biome here:

Romano, S., Savva, G.M., Bedarf, J.R. Meta-analysis of the Parkinson’s disease gut microbiome suggests alterations linked to intestinal inflammation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41531-021-00156-z

I don’t think there’s a specific method to correct the gut biome, but the discussion part of the paper is interesting.  They do mention lower intestinal biosynthesis of B12 and lower SCFA (especially butyrate) production in PD.  But the gut biomes appear to be diet-dependent.  In some papers, modifying the diet to less-processed foods and including a variety of vegetables is a changer of the biome. I think also limiting exposure to toxins in styrofoam, plastics, and coated fast-food wrappings can improve the biome.

• Marjorie Weiss

June 3, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Who can tell me more about this Mannitol? Is it over the counter?

• Robert Li

May 25, 2021 at 10:06 am

Here’s a dietary intervention link:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7306987/

Mediterranean diet intervention alters the gut microbiome in older people reducing frailty and improving health status: the NU-AGE 1-year dietary intervention across five European countries

There is a discussion on SCFA production

• Phil Gattis

May 26, 2021 at 12:08 pm
  • Kathy Bettles

June 2, 2021 at 12:05 pm

This reply is for Gwendolyn. Did you buy the unit from Photopharmics? It looks as though they are soon starting trials. I have signed up for information for my husband with them.  Your husband’s journey sounds similar to what we are experiencing. Mannitol has been wonderful with stopping falls but masking is creeping back. Also his voice is getting softer much more of the time, even with speech therapy. I am interested in trying your approach.
    Thanks to all that post in these very helpful forums.
    Kathy

• Thomas Rutschman

June 2, 2021 at 12:11 pm

Glad to hear that others are using Mannitol.  I have been taking 1 tsp a day for the past 8 months, and it is really a game changer.  It has made more difference than all the Parkinson medicines I’ve been given.  I don’t understand why more is not being written on this “wonder sweetener”.  More people with Parkison’s should try it.  It is an accepted food…

I was able to get ahold of the “psychobiotic” they are working on in Korea, PS128, a strain of Lactobacillus plantarum.  I haven’t experienced much of a difference, but I have only taken it for 2 months.

Blessings,

Tom Rutschman

• Barry Block

June 3, 2021 at 3:54 pm

I am currently taking Lactobacillus plantarum but have yet to see a change. I tried mannitol, but it gave me diarrhea.

• Thomas Rutschman

May 10, 2022 at 2:05 pm

What if you would try a smaller dose of Mannitol?

• Zee

October 25, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Bened Life makes a capsule that is only lactobacillus plantarum PS128, but it is very expensive. That is the particular bacteria supposed to help symptoms. They have links to some small clinical studies on the website.