• Difficulty getting in and out of a car

Posted by hmargulies on December 12, 2019 at 1:14 pm

When I am getting into the passenger front seat of my car, the following happens: I can sit down without effort. But when I need to pick up my right leg and swing it into the car– it refuses to move. I stare at it, willing it to move, but it just stares up at me. Finally, I attempt to ‘bounce’ the leg to give it a running start and then swing it into the car. Or I grab my leg and lift it into the car. And there are days where it isn’t a problem.

Anyone else have this happen?

Getting out of the car requires intense concentration for a bit, but I can do it eventually.

Best,  Howard

mary-beth-skylis replied 4 years, 1 month ago 11 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 1:50 pm

howard, i can get into the car, but just about have to fall out of it LOL.  i know my left hand never listens to me.  i was playing djembe drums last week and my left hand was  not cooperating.  hate it when that happens..

• june-ritar

December 12, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I have difficulty getting in and out of low cars and high four wheel drives. Our family car is a Kia all wheel drive and that is the right height for me. I also have difficulty with seat belts especially if I travel in the rear seat.

• scott-milstein

December 12, 2019 at 6:48 pm

I find myself having trouble getting in the car. I’m not quite as bad as the original poster but it takes a bit of work to get in sometimes . Getting out not too bad.  I have to take my time and not get frustrated.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 7:28 pm

it is amazing, the things i have always taken for granted (like getting in and out of a car) that are now so difficult and i must really focus my efforts now.

june, i have seat belt challenges too.  whats up with that??? lol

• mike-p

December 13, 2019 at 6:17 am

Hi Howard-

I just saw a PD gift guide that Allison of The Perky Parkie compiled. On it was a 360 Degree Swivel Chair:

The 360-Degree Swivel Cushion makes it easier to get in and out of chairs and car seats. Simply sit down and rotate your body to swing your legs and lower body into place. Now, how easy is that? Let’s see you jump out of that car with grace.

Maybe that would help you?

• toni-shapiro

December 17, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I am glad to see this on the forum as I have a terrible time getting in my husbands suv which is actually smaller than most. I can not longer drive so my Honda has been sold but I had trouble getting in and out of that one too.  So low or high is a struggle for me. Does anyone find that handles on the sides of a car to help yourself in are of no use to you?  The only way I get in is if I pull myself from a handle at the ceiling.  Same for getting out of bed.  I could do it better if there was some kind of handle from the ceiling I could grasp.  Any aides for holding that are on the sides don’t help me at all.

• Barb Bowen

January 15, 2020 at 10:14 am

We have found that “bottom first” is the way to get in the car (as opposed to perching on the edge of the seat — like bend over and go deep into the seat before pulling the legs in), then swivel torso to the front pulling the legs in as we go. Often my husband will hold on to the top of the open door and I’ll hold it too so he doesn’t pull it closed too fast, but gradually let him pull it toward him as he lowers into the car seat. Then he has those inside hand holds at the top of the door frame for getting settled. Same kind of thing getting out, while I’m bracing the door for him.

For getting out of bed, we have a bedside rail (the kind that slides between the mattress and box springs) so he can use it to turn over or pull himself to the edge of the bed. Then a horizontal handicap bar on the wall within reach of him sitting on the edge of the bed, for stability standing up. Then a vertical handicap bar right next to where his wheelchair is parked so he can go from bar to bar to bar and get out of bed and into the wheelchair solo. He isn’t wheelchair bound, but it’s a safer way to ambulate after 15 falls last year…we learned a lot.

• mary-beth-skylis

January 16, 2020 at 9:04 am

Barb, wow! 15 falls 🙁 I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had to handle that. It sounds like this bottom first method is helping. Have you discovered any other tips or tricks to avoid falling?

• dgfrance

February 26, 2020 at 6:07 am

Wow, all this resonates with me. I “fall” out of the car too! I think it must look really insane… But when I am taking a woman out, and I want to impress her, I can somehow manage to do a little better! Motivation… BTW disclosing my PD is one of the first things I tell people on meeting. I used to be afraid, now I fin it empowering (sort of)…

• mary-beth-skylis

February 26, 2020 at 8:56 pm

David, I think it’s really cool that you’ve come to be so open about PD. Have most people been understanding or inquisitive about it?

• dgfrance

February 27, 2020 at 6:11 am

Hi Mary-Beth no people do not know or want to know… even I did not want to know. For six years my doctors in Canada and Italy had me chasing false diagnoses… meantime my employer got rid of me, and later my ex wife. Total disasters. Had it not been for friends here in France I still wouldn’t know. But my neurologist is a good friend of a good friend and now he’s my good friend as well. I think he also has it… everybody remembers  Michael JFox in the Good Wife, but that’s only a tiny part of this thing whatever it is… except for some bad falls I had absolutely NO  motor symptoms. The ignorance is astounding…  astounded… at my own ignorance and I worked as a medical journalist!!! So these fora are great.., well done

• holden-hohaia

February 27, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Yes, I too have trouble getting into and out of the car. The thing about bouncing your leg to get a bit of momentum really resonates with me. Sometimes I find it’s easier and quicker just to resort to physically lifting the outside leg into the car lol! Is that wrong? Should I keep trying to do it unassisted?

• rebecca-becky-adams

March 1, 2020 at 1:48 am

I can usually get in pretty easily(just have to lift the left leg ) but it’s downhill from there… it takes me forever to reach my seatbelt and then once I’ve gotten it, it takes me another forever to find the darn hole to put it in . Recently my husband bought me an extender for the seat belt and that helps some. But getting out of the car is a real trip…I usually am tired when I’m getting out of the car and I think I’m in a hurry (don’t know why because I have very few time constraining commitments ).. I quickly put my left leg out of the car and then my body follows , except my darn right leg… it wants to stay and usually my toe gets caught on the inside molding. So far I’ve been able to maintain my balance and jerk it off , but I know that if I don’t slow down , I will be diving head first into the cement !

e

• mary-beth-skylis

March 2, 2020 at 8:21 am

David,

I’m so sorry to hear how little support you had through that process. I’ve seen how life-altering PD can be with my Dad. And I’d imagine that going through that (even with the strongest team) is really scary. But I really appreciate you opening up about your experience. It greatly saddens me to see how much misinformation or stigmatization is associated with any illness. It’s not like we can control it.

Have you been able to build a supportive community since the initial diagnosis?