• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by RT.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

My dad recently got over a bout of Covid-19. For the most part, his sickness was relatively mild. But he was convinced that his Parkinson’s symptoms escalated in severity while he was ill. But he seems to be back to normal now. Have any of you had Covid? If so, do you feel that it changed your Parkinson’s symptoms?

Marla Klein
      Participant

My husband had covid and his symptoms did increase and it took about three weeks from onset till he was back where he was before being sick. More mobility issues more tremors more general weakness and lots of sleep. This is the first week he is joyful again back into all his therapies too and back on track.

Lyn Richards
      Participant

During my practice as a psychologist, I worked with many people with diminished cognitive reserve due to acquired brain injury from workplace or motor vehicle accidents. I noticed that whenever my clients had a viral infection — even a cold — they described worse cognitive problems: poorer memory, slower thinking; more trouble organizing themselves. This was scary for them, feeling they were losing the gains they had made in recovery. It was helpful for them to know that there was a reason for it, and that it was temporary. Parkinson’s is a different kind of  injury to the brain, but has the same effect of reducing the “reserves” that we need to cope with increased demands, so I think we can expect our symptoms to worsen when we have an infection — and know that we are not just on a downhill slide!

I also noticed that my clients’ myofascial/muscle pain from soft tissue injuries or whiplash became worse after infections — especially a severe virus or pneumonia that caused weakness. (I won’t into details about how this works!)  I notice that my own problems with myofascial pain (related to an old whiplash injury) are worse since being diagnosed with Parkinson’s. This leads me to think that increased muscle pain and stiffness may be something we need to watch for after we have a serious infection like Covid. Stretching and trying to avoid staying in one position for too long when we’re ill may help prevent this.  A sudden increase in PD symptoms might even be a sign that we are developing an infection.

Although these are “anecdotal” observations from my practice, there is research to that supports and explains the underlying mechanisms.

Ally
        Keymaster

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing your experience, Lyn.

Krukar
      Participant

I had the Virus in August 2021. I went to the Sedona ER which was packed that night August 28. They did not diagnose me so after 7 hours we went home. They suggested I had had a heart attack. They called at 2:00 am and told us the test showed I had Coronavirus. 5 days later I was given the Monoclonal antibody Infusion in my home. I began to exercise.

I began to feel better quickly. My  wife helped me lots. Like I said the Virus went away though I still have Parkinson’s, but we have learned to manage that. Blessings, Mike

RT
      Participant

My husband has early-stage Parkinson’s with REM sleep disturbances. During the few days leading up to his diagnosis of COVID (in April 2020, he already had asymptomatic COVID), his sleep disturbances increased dramatically. While he was actively sick, his dyskinesia and stiffness increased. We wonder if this was because he didn’t feel well enough to exercise, or if it was an interplay of the two diseases. I would love to hear a doctor’s opinion on that. It took a good two weeks for the dyskinesia and stiffness to return to their previous levels. The sleep disturbances took only about a week or so after COVID diagnosis to fade.

Robert Li
      Participant

There is a significant amount of research pointing to mitochondrial damage as a root cause of long-term post COVID symptoms (long COVID).  Three years ago I didn’t know what mitochondria were, and my brain would have shut off if someone told me.  But mitochondria are really important in all long-term illness.

Mitochondria are a part of every cell, and  responsible for many functions of that cell.  For example, they are responsible for “gene transcription”.  Gene transcription means creating proteins (complex chemicals) from snippets of DNA.  In an analogy, if DNA are the blueprints, then mitochondria are the shipyards, and proteins are the ships.  If mitochondria are damaged, then we have trouble building the ships, and our whole body suffers, because we need those ships, especially to fight long-term disease.

There are many things needed to help keep the mitochondria healthy and functional:

• Vitamin D, needed for gene transcription.  Vitamin D insufficiency increases COVID risks across the board, including death. Vitamin D can also be produced by exposure to sunlight.  Getting 1.5 hours of sunlight a day can cut risk of getting multiple sclerosis, an immune system disease that causes serious motor control issues, by more than 80%.
      • Proper diet.  For example, including things like broccoli in your diet: https://nourishinghope.com/broccoli-sprouts-and-sulforaphane-benefits-for-autism-and-beyond/
      • Fixing gut/digestion issues, starting with constipation.
      • Avoiding invasive tests, like x-rays and CT scans, if not medically necessary.  These can damage mitochondria.

Good luck.  It is definitely possible for most people to repair their mitochondria over time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account