10 Organizations That Support Parkinson’s Disease Patients and Their Families
If you’re struggling with Parkinson’s disease or know someone who is, it’s incredibly helpful to have a list of organizations that can support you or your loved one along the way. The following is not an exhaustive list, but hopefully it will prove to be a helpful resource.
1. National Parkinson’s Foundation helps patients actively enjoy life through expert care and treatment research.
2. American Parkinson’s Disease Association provides support, education, and research to help you live a fuller life.
3. Michael J. Fox Foundation is helping to raise money for much-needed research to help find a cure. From ways you can get involved to a great blog chock-full of Parkinson’s-related information, there is so much information here.
4. Parkinson’s Disease Foundation provides information including news about the disease, information about upcoming events, insight into the latest research, and education about what to expect.
5. European Parkinson’s Disease Association advocates for the rights and needs of patients and their families.
6. The Davis Phinney Foundation is committed to supporting programs as well as research that help to deliver inspiration, information and provide tools that will enable people living with Parkinson’s to have more control in managing their disease.
7. The Parkinson Alliance is the umbrella organization for the Parkinson’s Unity Walk that takes place every spring in New York City. They also sponsor Team Parkinson, a fundraising racing event. You can find current news and information on research projects on their site.
8. Partners in Parkinson’s has a program where you can be connected to an advocate who will listen, offer advice and support to patients and caregivers at no cost. This is just one of the services you can find through Partners in Parkinson’s.
9. Caring.com has a support group for caregivers, family and friends of those with Parkinson’s disease. No subject is off-limits in this forum.
10. The National Parkinson Foundation has a site specifically geared to caregivers. They help carers navigate the emotional, financial, and physical challenges they may face caring for someone with Parkinson’s.
Having resources that help keep you informed, and offer support and encouragement to patients and their loved ones is so important. These are just 10 of the hundreds of organizations out there that are available to you. You can search online or visit your local library for more.
Parkinson’s News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.