Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Urinary and Bowell Movement problems

• Chris

July 7, 2022 at 8:57 am

Hey there Bob,

There are alot of puns we could write forth on this thread, and honestly with the topic I’ll prolly say one on accident 🙂 Butt.. haha Well anyways this is truly one of the areas I have had a lot of trouble with….I was to the point of can I make the 15 minute drive to work? Can I go across town with confidence to meet some friends for a bit to eat…and can I have some stuff to drink or is that going to cause me to urinte more than I already do. Well that’s step one..the urgency, the need to go every 10 – 15 minutes…Then you get to the bathroom and spend like 5 minutes trying to go…and can’t… Now lets throw in the constipation. The constipation is another culprit for the unrinary frequency etc… When you’re constipated it’ll put pressure on the prostate and the saga continues on and on..gotta go, don’t have to go…. So after some not so fun procedures and several visits to the urologist we have found the “Can you live with this?” zone. so after some trial and time adjusting and making sure you tell your urologist how things really are (don’t hold back, you’re only battling yourself at that point) Here’s what has been working for me medication wise and it is common to be on both..

Urinary Wise – Myrbetriq 1 – 50 mg Tab  Tamsulosin 0.4 mg Cap – Both once daily before I go to ed

Constipation I’ll make this shorter- My issue I have is that I can’t go (It has gradually declining), I need too go, but I have no Push…So I have been working on diet and of course less Dairy and red meat…I grew up on those things – I have some here and there but if too much its like oh yah that’s why I don’t eat it several days in a row.

Meds Wise – Depends on insurance here (Dumb, would say more but yah Dumb) – Trulance 3 mg tab once daily – I chose to make my “Habit” done in the mornings

I did try another drug..was similar to Trulance (trial package) works in the same way and I liked it but I had to jump thru hoops and try this and that before they would ok it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. This had really taken more of a grasp on me than I thought..I still havanxiety on certain types of travel…..I never had any issues ever before.

Good luck to you in your Journey,

Chris

• timothy ross

October 19, 2022 at 8:12 am

I had serious and painful constipation problems, requiring glycerine suppositories, but was then advised to cut way down on meat and to increase fibre and fruit. I found that breakfast of muesli with additional wheat and oat bran and berries, and stewed prunes with every meal and at other intervals – total about 150 grams a day. Wonderful relief, bowel movements about every 24 to 30 hours without strain.

But does anyone know of possible negative effects of large amounts of prunes?

• Sherman Paskett

October 18, 2022 at 11:07 pm

I discovered some time ago that 6 hours after my last does of c/l for the day I urgently needed to pee. This would wake me up every night at midnight, then every 1-2 hours thereafter. I convinced my neurologist to add a small dose at bedtime. Now I get a solid six hours sleep before I have to get up and pee.

• Mark Caldwell

October 23, 2022 at 12:46 am

I have had similar issues since being diagnosed with Parkinson’s, I find I have about 10 minutes to find a bathroom when I get the message from my bladder. I no longer procrastinate with the signals, and excuse myself and find a restroom.  My constipation   (?) problems are not nearly as bad, but for someone who never missed a morning BM, going 48 hrs without going is a problem. I just eat some fiber rich foods, and wait for the result!  Still bothers me, but not nearly as much as the urinary urgency.

• Christian Moldaenke

October 23, 2022 at 1:15 am

Hello, I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s 8 years ago, and a real nuisance is the sudden pressure on the bladder. The last last step is the worst…. now I have had an experience that has given me some relief in this regard: I hop on one leg and the worst pressure disappears. Does anyone else know this?
    Christian

• Patricia McCormick

October 25, 2022 at 2:41 pm

For constipation, I drink a glass of Citrucil every afternoon and take stool softeners in the late afternoon. That keeps me pretty normal with no straining and sometimes I’ll add in a Magnesium tablet.

• Roy

October 25, 2022 at 8:45 pm

Concerning frequent urination, I never know if it is normal aging prostate, too many liquids in the evening, or PD. Regardless, some nights I am up to urinate as often as every 30-45 minutes for 3-4 hours through the night. Occasionally, the same thing happens during the day, too. It makes me desire to stay very close to home.
    I, also, deal with constipation issues and have had an impacted bowel twice. To keep me going, I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit per day, 2-4 prunes, limit my bread intake, and drink a cup of Smooth Move tea every other day, or more, if I feel I’m getting stopped up. Obviously, I drink multiple glasses of water daily, which helps alleviate constipation, but causes frequent urination!

• Vickie Paul

October 26, 2022 at 9:46 pm

I have dealt with incontinence for years, even before I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2013. My neurologist says it’s one of the most common early symptoms of the disease, though it doesn’t get much air time because of the “eww” factor.

I use protective undergarments 24/7. My urges are too strong, especially when I get up from sitting, to obey a muscle stop-flow. I concentrated on finding a combination of products that allow me to stay in bed through those 2-AM and 4-AM wake ups that make it impossible to get a good night’s sleep. I still wake up some of the time but generally fall back asleep within minutes.

• Susan Swint

October 27, 2022 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t heard that tamsulosin is prescribed very often for women, but it was the answer for painful cramping urinary urgency for me, especially for that which comes after standing up. If leaving home for 3 hrs or more, I use protective pads as well as specialty underwear (Knix brand is my preference). Instead of hopping on one foot :), leaning against the sink cabinet gives me extra moments of time.

• Rick Tabakin

October 27, 2022 at 3:34 pm

I’ve been to a urologist about the frequency and urgency of urination.  He has prescribed meds for this and they do work.

• RIchard

October 27, 2022 at 5:34 pm

I have the same problems wit constipation.  1 cap full per day works per day.  urgent urination an annoying problem for me. I Urinate 3-4 times per. night    I wear my adsorbent pads 24/7.I’m trying a new technique which seems to cut down on wetting myself.

I keep a small flexible clear plastic (6-8 oz) cup within reach of the toilet. When I have the urge, I get to the bathroom as quickly as possible and grab the cup and shove it between my legs to catch the urine. I stand at the bowl about a a minute and some times I pour the accumulated urine back in the bowl and stand there a little longer to catch any remaining drops.

• Don Bell

October 28, 2022 at 2:27 am

For men with urinary problems my GP recommended 10 – 20 mg of Oxybutynin o.d.

• Jeanette Jagst

October 30, 2022 at 8:33 pm

My husband has had PD for 29 years. At his stage he uses continence pants all the time. Recently he started having one sachet of Movicol (active ingredients: Macrogol, Sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride) in the mornings. It has relieved his constipation and as a result, his medication works much better. Of course, there is no substitute for a good diet and plenty of fluids.