Tagged: ,

• Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on July 28, 2021 at 10:11 am

The last time I saw my Dad, his feet were swollen. I quickly became worried that we were encountering a new Parkinson’s symptom. And I asked him if he knew why it was happening. He told me that he thinks it may relate to his diet. Perhaps he’s eating too much sugar or salt. Have any of you had swollen feet? If so, how do you manage them?

Robert Harris replied 2 years, 8 months ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Thomas Rutschman

July 29, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Does he have high blood pressure? Some medicines for blood pressure are also diuretics (take in the morning, and not at night or you will be up more often at night.) That should get the swelling down.

• Natasha Christl

July 30, 2021 at 5:43 pm

I notice that when I eat a lot of salt, my feet and lower legs get swollen. But they usually go back to normal after about a day (and back to my regular diet). Maybe try to have him cut way down on salt for a week and see if that helps. If it doesn’t, then it may be time to talk to the doctor.

• Mickeal Hargrove

July 31, 2021 at 9:46 am

I, myself had that problem in December last year.  My left foot had swollen then began filling with liquid.  It then ran up my leg to my knee, that’s when my right foot began to do the same.  Dr. Give me injection then put a needle injection time suppressed patch on my left foot.  It sat there for about 40 minutes then was removed and the swelling went down.  Just here in the last month I’ve now got elbows with a swollen sack on the outside of them; I’m assuming it’s the same.

• paul

August 2, 2021 at 8:25 am

Yes I have the same problem, suffered for over 12 mths, always when in bed, it stopped me from sleeping.My family Dr put me on diuretics and a 1.5 litre fluid restriction and it has gone away. Very tough sticking to only 1.5 litres though and mostly I don’t, but after a while it catches up and they start swelling and the pain comes back.
    PS the 1.5 litres includes everything tea,coffee,soup the lot
    Regards, Paul

• Norma Blanton

August 3, 2021 at 2:29 pm

It’s a good idea to get tested for blood clots in the legs first then go from there.  Don’t use items that put pressure on the legs or feet without first checking with the Dr. and getting this test.  Also, keep feet up when sitting and move them periodically.  Check with Dr. before making any changes to diet, etc.

• UMAKANT PANCHOLI

August 3, 2021 at 4:15 pm

I sometimes get my right leg gets swollen. But as soon as I raise it on my reclining sofa and keep a pillow under my leg to raise it little more get back to normal very soon. I tend to get this when I donor walk a lot during the day

• Susan Swint

August 3, 2021 at 8:20 pm

I had mild swelling about 5 days out of 7, especially on car trips, and our family is already on low salt diet. Physician put me in compression stockings, remarking that whatever the cause, you need to check with your doctor and not allow the problem to go untreated. A short internet search turned up an academic article linking swollen feet and ankles to abnormal gait in some Parkinson’s patients, where the calf muscles are not exercised sufficiently to move fluid through the lymphatic system.

• Robert Harris

August 11, 2021 at 12:14 am

Try to identify any changes in medication that were prescribed around the time the swelling began. Dopamine agonists such as pramipexole, ropinirole, and rotigotine patch can cause leg swelling, as can NSAIDs and, as WebMD says, “Many drugs can cause swelling in the feet and ankles. . . .”

So, first step is to discover whether he has started a new med of any kind.

I had swelling from amlodipine (calcium channel blockers all often cause swelling of the feet and lower legs). Stopped it and the swelling went away.