Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) has had to shift his relationship to exercise since quarantine began. Originally, he made his way to Rock Steady Boxing twice a week. But since it’s not safe for groups to meet right now, classes are being delayed. Dad is focusing on bicycle session and manual labor around the house. How has your exercise regimen changed since quarantine started? Are you still finding ways to stay fit?

Allie J
      Participant

Thanks Mary Beth. My exercise regime has increased significantly during lockdown. I have more time available and doing it at home is very convenient. I’m in a regional area in Australia and many of the capital city PD exercise trainers have taken their classes online through Zoom, organised by the state Parkinson’s association for its members. These are free and have been great. They include sessions on Pilates, Dance with Parkinson’s, Exercises to strengthen core muscles class, balance and cognitive skills class and a session of Boxing for PD. So that’s 4 days a week. I’m hoping they will continue these Zoom sessions after lockdown as they are so convenient.

Patricia B Wargo
      Participant

Our RSB coaches have developed routines weekly for us to keep up with our exercise. They even do a scheduled zoom session each week so we can participate “together” doing the routine. I also signed up for the LSVT/pwr4life program with a local physical therapist who provided the program via telemed. The RSB coaches have also provided an opportunity to gather at 2 different parks in the area to walk together in June.

Overall, I’m getting more exercise than I did before the covid 19 crisis.

Mary Beth Skylis

Allie – it’s funny you say that. My exercise regimen seems to have become more intense since quarantine began too. I have a lot more time and many fitness instructors are providing resources for us in a virtual way right now. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to adapt. Do you have a favorite fitness class?

Patricia – I’m really glad to hear that RSB is adapting that way. Have you been enjoying these classes from home? What is your favorite part about virtual fitness?

Michael R. Scott
      Participant

Mary,

I’m finally back into my gym, but they now require masks. My “Nose To Toes” workout is very intense for an hour (15 min. core, 20 min heavy weight training and 25 minutes cardio-vascular on a computerized recumbent bike in the Cardio Theater….After a lot of study and trial and error, I finally picked this mask. With the exhalation valves on each side and a five filter inhalation filter, it is like I’m wearing no mask at all and no rebreather air! The filters are recommended replaced about every 30 days, but they are not expensive. Hope This helps!
      Mike Scott

Marlene Donnelly
      Participant

Previous to COVID-19 I attended Yoga, T’ai Chi, and an exercise class each week at my local hospital. These classes did much to improve my physical health as well as to provide wonderful social experiences. Once we needed to stay home I became much more sedentary. I knew I should exercise but just could not make myself do it on my own. I definitely lost ground during those weeks, even suffering from sciatica. Happily, over the past couple of weeks, both my local hospital and the local libraries started to provide classes using Zoom. I am now doing more than I had before COVI-19, and I feel so much better!

Allie J
      Participant

Mary, I’m not sure that I have a favourite. I enjoy them all. I do miss the company of the other participants though. We used to go for coffee afterwards and that was great. It is with a different group (who are from all over he state) that I do the virtual sessions and not face to face of course. In Queensland COVID is under control now but state borders are still closed as there is still a few new cases in southern states.

Marlene Donnelly
      Participant

Mary, I have a feeling that online sessions will be our new normal for quite a while to come. I live in New Jersey, and with our dense population we were a hot spot for the virus since the end of March. We are just in Phase 2 of things reopening, and I think, with the possibility of a second wave, the classes that I took will not be meeting in person for a long time, especially since most of us are over 65 and are more vulnerable than the average person. In my case, besides PD, I am 73 and have asthma and heart issues, so even if classes started back up, I would be hesitant to go back yet, even though I really miss seeing my friends.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account