Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Diagnosis​ ​Information​ ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Do you think there’s a correlation between gut health and Parkinson’s disease?

• Do you think there’s a correlation between gut health and Parkinson’s disease?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on March 27, 2023 at 11:52 am

My dad has both Ulcerative Colitis and Parkinson’s disease. And I often think about the correlation between the two. It seems like there’s more and more evidence that shows that there could be a brain-gut parallel in Parkinson’s disease. 

Do you think there’s a correlation between gut health and Parkinson’s disease? Why or why not?

Kim replied 1 year, 1 month ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Krukar

March 27, 2023 at 6:36 pm

Mary Beth,

I currently take the probiotic Neuralli made by Bened Life. I it is a supplement for Parkinson’s.  It is a capsule that impacts gut health. I take 2 tablets at 8 pm before bed time. My sleep is better as is my mood. Most of all it seems to help my walking which is very important to me. I have been taking it for 6 months. I is  not a cure but  it helps. Blessings, Mike

• Mary Beth Skylis

March 28, 2023 at 2:25 pm

Hi Mike,

I like to take a probiotic for general health as well, but I’m never really sure if it makes a difference. You feel that it helps for the better?

• Jon Busch

March 28, 2023 at 3:36 pm

Yes, I agree about the gut-brain connection. I take the Neurali PS128 probiotic as well. I’ve been on it also for about 6 months. I have not noticed it making any difference except that it’s draining my wallet and my gut. But there have been several studies on this site that have been very encouraging – if only they’d progress to human trials

• John Wills

March 28, 2023 at 4:01 pm

Many signs point to complicity of the gut microbiome in PD. I’d like to see more research on this subject, including the role of fecal transplant as treatment. Surprising how little has been published on this important topic.
    John Wills, M.D.

• Beth

March 28, 2023 at 5:28 pm

I definitely think that there is a direct link between the two. Johnathan  Otto  did a series of webinars on gut health and autoimmune diseases.  Not sure if they are still available. Excellent explanation  of the connection. I just had a stool analysis done to check for colitis, parasites and bacteria. I guess you could ask your doctor. It took me since last July to convince my PCP to order the test.  High dose b1 therapy  may help  as well as prevent and probiotics. A good book to read is Parkinson’s and B1 therapy. Available on Amazon. Good luck

• Ally

March 30, 2023 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this information, Beth!

• Joyce

March 28, 2023 at 7:15 pm

I am convinced there is a connection even before PD presents itself. Twenty years ago I  had an upheaval in my personal life which resulted in the loss of 30 pounds and IBS-D.  This eventually resolved as the emotional impact of the situation resolved. I was diagnosed in 2015 with PD. In 22021 my sister was diagnosed in July with a heart condition after going too the hospital with covid. She died six months later Christmas weekend at the age of 85. As soon as the funeral was over my stomach began to hurt and I couldn’t keep food down.I ending up gaining 25 pounds due to the fact all I could keep down was bread of potatoes.

After testing for gastroporesis,which was negative, I had an endoscope after six months of vomiting and visits to both my gp and neurologist (who said the levodopa was causing the nausea so he gave me  additional carbo which made me sicker. I now have what is called antral gastric metaplasia, which is a condition in which the lining of the stomach has metamorphosed into the wrong tissue lining. I continue to suffer and my gastro doctor has indicated the lining will not change back. I am using antacids, probiotics, and a prescription drug. No alcohol, spicy foods, and carbohydrate such as bread and potatoes. However, I am physically drained because I either cannot fall asleep or wake up with GERD in my throat in the middle of the night.  This condition is usually  caused by a H.pyloric bacterial infection which I did not have.

• Krukar

March 29, 2023 at 8:29 am

Hi Mary Beth,

I am not a Doctor…..but I feel like it has helped my walking, the lift in my legs. It is also good for my digestion.

Mood is tougher for me to judge. I must  keep up my other routines.

Blessings,

Mike

• Gale Dowd

March 30, 2023 at 12:54 am

The more I read the more I am convinced that with many of the people living (?) with PD have had problems, or will have as the disease progresses ! I was diagnosed in 2010 and my gut problems started about 6 years later after being treated for H Pylori.
    Many of the food choices in my regular diet now seemed to cause nausea and severe bloating,generally within 1/2 hr after eating and mostly my noon and evening meals. I lived with this problem for several years making changes in food choices which helped but stil troubled with nausea,some bloating and acid reflux.

With the help of a nutritionist,and fine tuning of food choices/ no spices, pickles,tart fruit(lemons,etc.)as well as no food that is difficult to break down either by chewing or later in the stomach. Most of the food choices after being cooked go though a blender before being served.
    There has to be considerable fine turning in the choice of vegetables and fruit as well as what liquids would not be on the menu any more.
    The final and extremely important part of my cure was and is my extremely patient and understanding caregiver, my wife of 63 years !
    Gale Dowd.

• Joyce

March 30, 2023 at 5:37 am

Hi Gale,

I was very happy to read your response. I would like to know if you take any medications for your stomach issues that may help-either prescription or over the counter. I too have tried the blender routine and the avoidance of spicy foods, some days are better than others.How was your H.Pylori found-did you have an endoscope? This stomach issue is draining me of all my energy, constantly having daily problems. Did your neurologist offer any suggestions/comments that were of value? What liquids have you removed that have helped.I so look forward to hearing what you have learned because  you are the only one I know of you is experiencing symptoms similar to mine.

Than you so much!

Joyce

• Gale Dowd

March 30, 2023 at 10:15 pm

Joyce:
    As well as the PD meds//Apo-LevoCarb 100/25mg x2 – 5 times a day//stalevo 75/18.75 x1 also 5 times a day//Amantadine 100 mg x1 time a day(am)//LevoCarb -CR200/50mg-xI at bedtime-along with Auro-Mirtazapine-20mg 2tabs also at bedtime and finally I take
    Siv-Rabeprazole 20mg – 1 tab in am.
    I also take VitaminD3/1000 ui 1 a day //Digestive Enzymes (3)1 at each of the three larger meals and a probiotic (Align) once a day.( A total of 23 pills a day which would turn any stomach !
    By eliminating acidic fruits and juices of lemons,limes,grapefruit, grapes and apples (skins),raspberries,blueberries,all spices and some vegetables including onions, tomatoes are not all of the food items that no longer grace my table
    I can tolerate porridge (not all), toast,butter,honey,creamy peanut butter,jams and jellies( not all),scrambled eggs (not fried),pancakes and waffles.This is generally my favourite meal of the day ! I have snacks midway between the 3 main meals / I try to include 1 nutritional drink per day which may be the snack (Ensure or similiar) Deserts can be jellos(non citric),puddings cake and cookies depending on content, ice cream and most ice
    cream bars.
    The 3 main meals which may include potatoes,meat such as hamburger, chicken( no bones) that has been through a blender befor cooking.Squash,carrots and peas need not go through this process.
    The medications and food and it,s preparation have eliminated most of the bloating,nausea,etc. which hopefully will allow me to gain some of the weight,including muscle strength, back to something close to normal!(I had lost about 30 lbs / down to 110 and am slowly regaining a few lbs now )
    This has been a long story but I think necessary to describe in detail for which I apologize !!!
    Gale

• Kim

March 31, 2023 at 4:47 am

I have recently begun incorporating more fiber into my diet both soluble and insoluble. A good friend is an herbalist and believes in the gut brain health connection but that we should try to get as much as possible from whole foods rather than supplements. My friend and her colleagues state that “by supporting our microflora, fiber supports the production of neurotransmitters in the gut.” I’m curious to see if this has an impact on the dopamine my body produces. Has anyone else explored this route?