Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Do you consider yourself to be athletic?

• Do you consider yourself to be athletic?

Posted by ally on March 30, 2023 at 8:25 pm

Parkinson’s can present many physical challenges and make being active – at least in the ways we once were – difficult. That said, being active with PD is encouraged. 

To that end, do you consider yourself athletic? Has PD changed how you see yourself in this respect?

ally replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Robert Ruiz

March 31, 2023 at 1:11 pm

I did. Before I was diagnosed in 2016 I was running every other day anywhere from 2 to 6 miles. On the off days I’d do sit-ups and push ups.

I’m not so athletic anymore but I’m fine with that. I still do push ups and crunches and can still ride my bike. My wife and I go for walks and hikes but its nothing like before.

I sometimes miss the activity but not so much that it gets me down. I have lots to be thankful for and that keeps me positive.

• alan-m

April 4, 2023 at 8:11 pm

Your experiences sound a lot  like mine, Robert.  Except I stopped exercising in 2002 due to a change in my career,  I became more sedentary, “flying a mahogany bomber” (i.e. became a desk jockey).  My spouse hates riding bikes, but we use our treadmill regularly.

It’s taken me years to “be OK with this change” like you are.  But I really am now… OK with it, that is.

• jeffery-hill

April 1, 2023 at 10:37 am

I would say I’m still moderately athletic.  I walk my dog 12,000 steps a day, and go to the gym twice a week for spinning, weights and yoga.  In summer I ride my bike outdoors and kayak. In winter snow shoe.

HOWEVER,  I do all of the above with notably reduced speed, strength and endurance compared to my pre-diagnosis life (2016).  I gave up downhill skiing due to my fear of slow reaction times, and my skill in cross-country skiing has deteriorated to the point where I may just give up.  My knees failed me 10 years ago so I had to give up running. No problems with balance…yet.

• mcdonald-e-rominger

April 4, 2023 at 2:59 pm

I have been an avid athlete since the age of 15. I am now 65 and have had PD symptoms since age 56 and was diagnosed at age 62. I still workout 6-7 days per week anywhere from 65 minutes on the day I run stadiums to 2.5 hours when I snowshoe in the winter or mountain bike on Forest Service roads in the summer.  I lift weights 3x per week for 1 hour (MWF) and on those days I do an additional 60 minutes of cardio in the gym on either an elliptical or stationary bike.  I am essentially doing the same workouts as I did when I was 55 and before PD.  Of the above exercise routines, the only one I am slower at is the snowshoeing up the local ski run where the elevation starts at 9500′ and ends at about 11,000′.  It takes me longer on the ascent than it once did.  The stadiums I run 1x per week helps me to measure foot speed and balance.  I am firmly convinced that daily exercise slows the progress of PD.

• ally

April 4, 2023 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for sharing, McDonald! It’s encouraging to read that you’re still so active – a testament to the healing properties of exercise for sure.

• kenneth

April 28, 2023 at 3:03 am

I guess I just try to be like that and always like tio try new things. For example now I am doing wall pilates. It is a kind of sport which make u more flexible and u know to feel uself more helthier in general.. So I like that and wish u to try that too!

• nick

May 3, 2023 at 7:56 am

Yes, pre PD I ran 7 marathons including  Boston (qualified at age 40); 3 triathlons.  Can’t cycle anymore because I’ll fall over on my two wheeler. Have a first class tricycle recumbent and am able continue cycling 4 x a week except in the winter. I am 80 with 12 years of PD and DBS after 3 years after diagnosis.

• mary-beth-skylis

May 3, 2023 at 9:27 am

7 marathons is pretty impressive, Nick! I’m a runner, myself. But I’m beginning to wonder if I should switch to cycling. How does it compare?

• nick

May 5, 2023 at 8:47 am

Mary Beth,

Cycling is a lot easier on your spine, knees and hips.  If you get a good bike, it makes it that much gentler.  I had a road bike and a mountain kike.  Ended up doing more of the latter.  You can see so much.  Ended up being my favorite…and with today’s mountain bikes it cushions the spine factor.

Good cycling to you!

• ally

June 28, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Nick, you may find this story from a fellow forum member interesting!

• mary-beth-skylis

May 3, 2023 at 9:27 am

7 marathons is pretty impressive, Nick! I’m a runner, myself. But I’m beginning to wonder if I should switch to cycling. How does it compare?

• Lucinda

July 1, 2023 at 4:37 pm

No, I most definitely have never been athletic. My mother who has XLH, was very disappointed that I saw no point in hanging upside-down from the jungle gym when I was under 5. Even though I knew how to read and write simple words, could count to 100, and could tell time on an analog clock the day I started Kindergarten, I was required to take Summer School because I couldn’t jump rope. I frustrated my P.E. teachers all the way through school because I simply could not keep up. Of course, I was accused of being a lazy underachiever. They were all certain that I could accomplish anything if only I would only apply myself. Now that I have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease and have read up on Familial Parkinson’s, I feel vindicated and exonerated.

• ally

August 10, 2023 at 6:28 pm

Hi Lucinda, I’m so sorry you had that experience in your school years. I hope that the education system has come a long way and today recognizes that children should be celebrated for their strengths and positively supported through things that may be more challenging. I’m glad that today you feel like you understand your younger self better and can see more clearly what she was going through!