How Does Dopamine Affect Parkinson’s Disease?

In this educational video from Parkinson’s UK, we find out more about Parkinson’s disease. The film explains that Parkinson’s disease develops in the substantia nigra part of the brain when the cells begin to die. These cells produce dopamine and the loss of dopamine in the brain leads to issues with movement.

Cancer drug raises dopamine levels and eases Parkinson’s symptoms in early clinical trial.

As the disease progresses and the brain has less and less dopamine, the symptoms of the disease become more apparent and the patient develops tremors, difficulty walking, and other issues with movement. Researchers are working on ways to stop or slow down the loss of these dopamine-producing cells so that Parkinson’s disease may be treated and ultimately cured.

Find out more about the signs and symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.

Parkinson’s News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

Wendy is a proven blogger and social media manager who has helped to build online communities for businesses and organizations. She currently heads the website’s social outreach online through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
×

1. Helen Botti says:

My Parkinson’s disease started 25 years in the GUT with the H. Pyloria and a flu virus. About 6 years later my left leg didn’t move right while running. When my right thumb started shaking 70% of my dopamine was gone. Ma king a slow but definite trip to the brain through the Vegas nerve in the GUT to the Blood-Brain-Barrier to the substantia nigra. I do hope that there is a cure as I love life with my 7 children and 8 grandchildren. I will be 80 in April and do miss running.!!!!!

• Tim Bossie says:

We hope that you are able to continue to spend time with your family and love them each day. I do have to say that I am glad that you do have a family around you and that you continue to stay strong. Happy upcoming Birthday to you!

• Mary ann walsh says:

How long have you had. PD ?
      What was your treatment?
      Did you use any natural protocol

I have. Been controlling tremors with essential oils
      I haven’t been diagnosed with PD. I have a lot of symptoms

2. unknown says:

Hi have stage 1 of parkinson it first started with the constant shaking, that i ignored everyday until one day i got out of bed and it was at the age of 28. When me and my mum went to the doctors to go though my treatment for the first time everyone was shocked at my age, and yet again i didn’t think anything of it at first until i was told “the most common age to get parkinsons was at the age of 50-60+, i balled my eyes out I couldn’t believe at how much pain i had endured after hearing that and the first thing that popped in my mind was that my life was over.
    Right now in this email is the first time i really confessed to any one besides my parents about my disease and i am now 32 years old, i have kept this a secret from my friends for to long and every time i see at first its only small tremors then i get muscle rigidity and my speech starts to become broken till the point where sometimes i get up, pay and then leave because i am so embarrassed of the scene of my symptoms. And then my friendship group just gets smaller and smaller with every passing day that goes by, my pills aren’t going to be enough one day for i will have no one to lean on for support until i have the guts to tell my story but until then i continue to try and live my life, so please not just for me but for everyone else that has this disease FIND A CURE!!!!!.

3. Krishna K Agarwal says:

I am 83. I suffer from Parkinson’s disease for nearly four years , the main symptoms are
    Slow movement, Disturbed sleep, and restless legs and hands while resting (while resting in the afternoons and night time). I am on levodopa /carbidopa 100+25 t.i.d and levodopa CR 200+50 at night time.

4. My husband at age 45 developed severe acting out of dreams. Now at age 60 he has balancing problems and swallowing problems, tremors, and he sleeps off and on all day and has no motivation to do things. He also calls me bad names and curses at me which he never used to do. He won’t go to the doctor. I told him I thought he had Parkinson’s. That he must go get help. I was leaving him if he didn’t. I will help him but he has to go.

5. Alan Clegg says:

I have parkinsons and I am on beneldopa, my tremor has calmed down somewhat and I have had comments that I have been kidding people that I have parkinsons this is disturbing because they don’t know about all the other symptoms that come with it