• What have you learned about Parkinson’s since the diagnosis?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on June 22, 2020 at 6:52 am

As research about Parkinson’s becomes more available, we’re learning all about the disease and how it functions. Every day seems like a school day, while we seek answers. What are some of the things you’ve learned about Parkinson’s since the diagnosis? Have new facts come to light in your search for answers?

renee-osborne replied 3 years, 1 month ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • anthony

September 28, 2020 at 8:56 am

I was diagnosed with PD a few months ago, and I consider myself sick for more than 3 years. I came across this forum by chance recently and decided to look for someone with similar symptoms, since it seems to me that this disease is very diverse.
    Therefore, I publish my data:
    age – born in 1958;
    gender – male;
    place of residence – Ontario, Canada;
    limb tremor – absent;
    the leading symptom is loss of balance;
    other noticeable symptoms:
    sleep disturbance (I have difficulty falling asleep),
    loss of short-term memory,
    slowing down (visual) reactions,
    loss of handwriting quality.

On the recommendation of a doctor, I take 1.5 levo / carbidopa tablets (6 in total per day).
    I apologize for my English – it is not my native language.
    Now I am in search of any means to improve my condition.

• mary-beth-skylis

October 29, 2020 at 10:50 am

Anthony, your English sounds great to me!

Thank you for sharing your experience. My Dad was officially diagnosed in 2013, but he thinks that he was experiencing symptoms a long time before his diagnosis. He experiences a loss of balance, sleep disturbance, and tremors, too.

Have you had any luck finding ways to improve your condition, yet?

• anthony

February 17, 2021 at 8:23 am

Hello,
      I have nothing to compare the rate of development of symptoms. But it seems to me that the speed increased from the beginning of taking the pills. None of what I ingest seems to work. Although I spend more than 40 minutes every 4th day on the treadmill and do push-ups every morning.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 16, 2020 at 1:08 pm

I was diagnosed 4 years ago but had symptoms for about 8 years. I have early onset tremor dominant. The difference between tremor and non-tremor dominant are interesting to me and how everyone has different rates of progression. I read all the new research daily neurology has become a kind of interest. There’s always something new coming out hope to see a cure in my lifetime.

• mary-beth-skylis

February 12, 2021 at 8:30 am

I’ve always wondered if the progression and symptoms might have to do with exposure to toxins.

• jimbo

February 16, 2021 at 7:47 pm

<p style=”text-align: center;”>In reflection, I now realize I was symptomatic some 30 years ago that began as mild and have slowly progressed as well as expanded since my diagnosis 6 months ago. The most stressful challenge is finding a medical provider who treats you as an individual and not some one size fits all which I have learned is so untrue for those of us with Parkinson’s.</p>

• anthony

February 16, 2021 at 9:28 pm

<span class=”VIiyi” lang=”en”><span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”ru” data-phrase-index=”0″>Hello Mary Beth, </span></span>

<span class=”VIiyi” lang=”en”><span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”ru” data-phrase-index=”0″>I have nothing to compare with to judge about  the rate of development of symptoms.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”ru” data-phrase-index=”1″>But it seems to me that the speed increased from the beginning of taking the pills.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”ru” data-phrase-index=”2″>None of what I ingest seems to work.</span> <span class=”JLqJ4b ChMk0b” data-language-for-alternatives=”en” data-language-to-translate-into=”ru” data-phrase-index=”3″>Although I spend more than 40 minutes every 4th day on the treadmill and do push-ups every morning.</span></span>

• regina

February 18, 2021 at 5:54 pm

I was diagnosed  3 plus years ago.  Patch raised up and fell off and the meds all made me sick.  I have tremor dominant pd.  Had DBS surgery in June 2020 and feel so much better.  Still have mild tremor in right hand but I didn’t  let it stop me.  I am 68 and teaching myself how to play the harp.  I talk in my sleep but laugh about it.  PD is not a death sentence- not by a long shot!

• phil-gattis

February 19, 2021 at 7:50 am

2nd most important treatment is humor.  my current favorite one-liner:  “I’m having short-term memory loss; I’ll talk to you next week.”

most important treatment: exercise

However, C/L initially helped reduce symptoms significantly, so I hesitate to drop Rx treatment, but I rank it in 3rd place.

• rcb1040

February 19, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Phil

My wife’s 93 year old Danish grandmother had the greatest phrase.

“I have a very good memory.  It just isn’t very long.”

Best regards.

Robert C.

• barbara-ford

February 20, 2021 at 9:00 am

In the 8 years of treatment for Parkinson’s, I have learned that the list of “typical “ symptoms, such as stiffness, tremor, tiny handwriting, etc. are far from being all the symptoms one might experience. The difficulty is trying to figure out what is and what is not related to Parkinson’s. Add aging (I am 74) to the mix, and the mystery expands. My doctors claim I am healthy, so do I blame unusual acute pain or digestive issues on Parkinson’s? Does this mean these issues can’t be fixed outside of possible treatment of the symptoms, which typically does not do much to help? If anyone has an answer to this quandary, please tell me!

• renee-osborne

February 25, 2021 at 3:04 pm

My husband was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with Parkinson’s. After several months of medication, there was no evidence of it being effective. I was able to get an appointment last July at Mayo in Rochester, MN, where his diagnosis was specially indicated as MSA – Multiple Systems Atrophy, a more progression and rare form of PD. Mayo offered several treatments for the symptoms, i.e. Botox for potential drooling. Most recently, Mayo has opened a new Disorder Center for MSA. We’ll be going there in April. My suggestion is to make sure you have correct diagnosis. Additionally, if you can get to Mayo in Rochester, I highly recommend!!
    Renee Osborne