Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Toni Shapiro
      Participant

Hi,

I have been checking old posts but have not found anything much about unconscious humming, voice noises, low groans.  I searched a number of places regarding this issue but very little that relates to me comes up so I am reaching out to our little forum community .  Do any of you ever find yourself humming and are surprised by it? Do your spouses or friends tell you that your humming is annoying?  If so when did it start?  I hum constantly and I believe I did it prior to taking any medications so I doubt it’s that. As always,  thank you for your support.

amy
      Participant

I hum constantly! It drives my DH nuts. I thought it was unrelated to PD, but if someone knows that it is I’d be fascinated..

Barbara Harris
      Participant

My husband tells me I make noises all the time and groan and hum. I don’t hear it at all. Glad to know someone else has this problem.

amy
      Participant

Oh, the minute someone points it out I realize I’m doing it. It’s always a song, but sometimes it’s as dumb as the ring tone on my phone.

Sharon Fisher
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I do it too. It annoys my grandson but i didn’t know it until he pointed it out.</p>

Toni Shapiro
      Participant

Hi Amy, Barbara and Sharon,

Thanks so much for replying. Being cooped up with COVID apparently makes my humming particularly annoying to people. No escape! Maybe I should check out the caregivers forum to see if anyone has written about it there.

I was talking to my PD counselor about it and she mentioned that my voice is strong for someone with PD. Everything else about me and PD is not good and progressing more quickly than what we thought…. but my voice is pretty strong, unless I am Off.  I also still have my smell which is excellent and unusual I think.  It left her wondering about it and she is interested in doing some research because she said that humming is one of the exercises she gives for soft spoken patients. Maybe unconscious to me I am treating my own voice. So, my question to you is…. do you have a rather strong voice?

Thanks!

amy
      Participant

Yes. I do not believe PD has affected my voice at all–in fact, I get told to pipe down all the time.

On the other hand, my PD seems to be progressing slowly in general. Five years in, still mild and one-sided, no dopamine replacement (yet). So I can’t say it’s the humming…unless we think humming is neuroprotective? THAT would be a kick!

Mary Beth Skylis

Hello everyone!

I’m finding this idea to be rather interesting. My Dad hums quite often. But  I come from a musical family and I always assumed it was intentional. Do you hum particular tunes? Or does it seem to happen at a specific time?

amy
      Participant

Ha! I hum whatever I heard last–the phone ringtone, a stupid song from a stupid ad on TV, or the little tune the washing machine plays to let me know the clothes are ready. Whatever song floats into my head, I guess.

I tend to do it when I am happy/busy… bustling around the kitchen cooking dinner for example.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account