• Pickle-ball

Posted by Bob Hodgson on June 20, 2022 at 1:57 pm

I played Pickle-ball for the first time on Father’s Day and found that I felt a whole lot better afterwards. This is possibly a good form of HIT (high intensity training) since the game requires short bursts of energy and good eye-hand coordination. I did take a couple of falls going for the ball but I was able to adjust my movements to minimize this going forward.

Has anyone added this sport into their exercise routine and what were your results?

Can’t wait to play again.

Laini Weitz replied 1 year, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Mary Beth Skylis

June 20, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Hi Bob,
    Thank you for sharing! I, personally, have not played pickle ball. But I love HIT exercises, and I’d be willing to bet that there could be benefits to playing a game like that. What do you think you loved most about it?

• Bob Hodgson

June 20, 2022 at 6:43 pm

What I loved most was finding an activity that I can participate in. I enjoy racket sports but having PD (7 years) has made me limit the activities that I enjoy. Sometimes I just need to silence the committee in my head and just go for it.

• Ally

June 21, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Hi Bob, I haven’t played pickle ball yet but it’s on my list! It looks like so much fun and there are a few leagues in my city that are re-opening now that COVID restrictions have loosened a bit. Can’t wait to try it out and love that it’ll be a good HIT workout.

• Alan M

June 23, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Hi all:

PICKLEBALL — never heard of it until this very moment!   What a kewl concept.  I had to Google YouTube to find out the rules etc.  I hop it’s OK to show the URL – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2nenHT9hdxC_WmStTXYMQ/videos

Would it be easier to start if one had past experience with Badminton or tennis before being diagnosed with PD?  Maybe not.  I think I’ll suggest this to regional PD Nurse as yet another outreach…

• Mary Beth Skylis

June 24, 2022 at 10:04 am

Alan, I only heard about it recently, myself. I’d be willing to bet that general athleticism, and experience with Badminton or tennis could help. Do you think you’ll try it out?

• Laini Weitz

June 24, 2022 at 10:22 am

Hi Bob

i play Pickleball 4-5 x/week. I do experience some tremors from tension but usually I’m too busy to be sidelined. It’s a great game. Excellent cognitive, spatial relationships, exercise, and just plain fun. Stay with it!

Laini