Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments Keto diet – have you tried it?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 16, 2019 at 12:51 pm

i dont know much about keto, but i believe meat is allowed.  ai am a vegetarian.  also, i am not a big fan of a lot of fat in diet. i lean towards vegan and avoid cheese, dairy and gluten as i believe they are all inflammatory which believe is not good for PD.  Its hard to say if my diet has helped my symptoms as i do so many things (yoga, exercise, walk, box) plus i take meds.   like it is with most therapies/treatments for PD, some tings work for some and not for others. 🙁

• Sue

February 17, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I wish I could remember where I read it, but it was stated that a plant-based ketogenic diet was best for PD as it is an anti-inflammatory diet. I eat this way, and find it not at all difficult to eat almost completely vegan. A good book to explore is “Ketotarian” if you are interested in a mostly plant-based diet. FWIW, there is a lot of keto hype out there right now, though, so I’d vest my resources carefully.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 18, 2019 at 6:45 am

i am wary of keto diet; i think putting your body in a state of ketosis is not good.  i believe keto is a fad diet for quick weight loss vs. plant based which is a lifestyle.   I too try to follow plant based as presented by Rip Esselstyn and Forks over Knives.  I am not sure if it is helping my PD, but it is good for the planet and animal welfare.

https://engine2diet.com/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/

• Allen Joseph

February 19, 2019 at 2:05 pm

I was intrigued by the info on

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/parkinsons-disease.html

and the video interview with Bill Curtis who controls his symptoms with an intermittent keto regime.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 19, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Allen, thanks for sharing this.  I do believe diet and nutrition are important factors in helping our PD symptoms, especially plant based diets.  Keto is not for everyone, but, I am sure it may work for some..

• Linda Sekura

April 6, 2019 at 8:21 pm

My friend, David, and I tried this diet when he started to show obvious symptoms. After a couple of weeks, his physical therapist noticed a difference and so did I. But he could not keep it up, since he likes sugar and bread. I read in this thread that someone is concerned about meat. We only used local, free range meat, which has the healthier animal fats that the keto diet was suggesting. We limited carbs, and heavy on the leafy greens. The keto chili was the best! The leafy greens also helped in keeping regular. Since it would have been difficult to have two separate meals to prepare, I ate the same foods. I also eat mostly raw, so it all fit well. I gave him my raw milk, which has great probiotics and more animal fats.

I recently gave him some organic coconut oil, unrefined, since some patients say it helps with brain fog and more stable walking. Will be posting about Ubiquinol/CoQ10, and hoping to hear from others who may have tried this. I read the recent studies, and was surprised they used oxidized CoQ10 vs reduced, which is absorbed multiple times better – and also focused on improved symptoms vs halting further symptoms, which I always read was the purpose of the Ubiquinol. Maybe someone else can shed light on this. Again, will post elsewhere if I can find a chat, or start a new one, if OK.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 6, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Thank you for your comments Linda.   I, like David love my sugar.  I tried 6 months pure plant based diet, gluten free and no sugar.  I did not notice a difference in my symptoms.  Unfortunately sugar called to me and I fell of the wagon.  I am still a strict vegetarian, do not eat cheese or milk products and avoid gluten as much as I can.

Please feel free free to start a new topic(s) in any of the forums.

• Carolyn Huggett

January 28, 2020 at 3:12 pm

When I fast for 12 or more hours (preferably 18-24) I usually feel much better. I have a very strict diet of non GMO grains and organic meat in small quantities and organic vegetables and fruit. I start off feeling OK in the morning but as the day goes on with more and more meals (especially if we go out for dinner or have a larger than normal meal) I sometimes feel worse by bed time and don’t sleep well and then it all goes south the next day!! Fasting gives my digestive system a rest I think. My Chinese acupuncturist has treated me many years for my stomach and liver issues and it is definitely working. No more bloating and discomfort and my weight is steady. With the Keto diet there is a lot of fat and dairy. I have to limit dairy intake and no cream at all (fairly lactose intolerant). I have my version of the Keto diet which substitutes olive oil for butter and coconut milk or water instead of milk (I cannot have soy but that is OK too). I try not to eat meat or fish in the same meal as carbohydrates (grains). Grains and fruit and veggies are good together and meats (proteins) and veggies together too. This way my digestive system is not over worked. If you want to lose weight this is a good diet plan along with exercise. You can eat as many meals as you need if you stick top this plan.

• Ally

January 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Thank you for sharing, Carolyn. You mentioned that you’re working with a Chinese acupuncturist – did you start seeing them before or after your diagnosis? How does your Western medical team feel about your fasting? Curious to know more about the different approaches you’re exploring for treatment. Thanks again!

• amy

January 29, 2020 at 12:16 pm

I’m curious that so few people are willing to even try keto, given all the (research showing its neuroprotective promise (not just for PD, but for epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, MS, stroke, etc…)

Anyway, I am on a strict keto diet and I intermittent fast as well. (In the end it is all about controlling insulin, encouraging autophagy, and keeping your mitochondria as healthy as possible.) I have been doing this for nearly four years. I’ve had PD for five, it has not progressed, is still one-sided, and I take no dopamine replacement. Of course I can’t be certain it is the diet, because I am an experiment of one.

You do not need to eat meat on keto–that is a myth. It is NOT high protein. It is not difficult–if you willing to cook. It’s pretty tough if you are only willing to eat processed/fast food, though.

I wish someone else would try this, so I could compare notes!

• Brad Maybury

July 11, 2023 at 6:49 pm

Amy, I follow your same protocol and have similar results – no PD progression in two years. I too use intermittent fasting and the occasional 3 – 5 day fast, plus exercise, and a number of supplements.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 29, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Amy,

Are you of the belief that your diet has slowed the Parkinsons progression?

• Marie-Noëlle Cerutti

March 25, 2022 at 9:33 am

Hello hello . I practice keto diet for one year now. I have remarquable improvement , more energy , less symptom ( tremor less fatigue no pain and so on) so I am able to practice intensive sport PD Warrior therapy, I take less medication than one year . It is difficult to follow this diet but the results are so good !
    Try it and if it doesn’t work find something else .
    Marie-Noelle in Geneva !

• William

June 2, 2023 at 7:46 am

As with any dietary change, it’s important to listen to your body and adjust accordingly. What works for one might not work for all. But if you’re on the keto journey or thinking about giving it a shot, incorporating top-tier, natural foods is a step in the right direction.

• Simmon Belka

June 5, 2023 at 5:27 am

I personally dabbled in the keto world, and I must say, it turned out to be quite the game-changer for me. Not only did I notice a remarkable uptick in my energy levels, but I also found it to have a positive effect on some symptoms like occasional tremors. It seems like the high-fat, low-carb balance can really do wonders for some of us.

• Dave Payne

July 10, 2023 at 10:39 am

There is anecdotal evidence suggesting that the keto diet may have some benefits, including potential improvement in tremors and drooling. However, it’s important to note that everyone’s experience can be different.

• Dave Payne

July 12, 2023 at 11:29 am

If you’re considering trying the keto diet, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to ensure it aligns with your specific needs and health goals. I’d also recommend trying dry whole milk powder because it can be a convenient option for adding creaminess and flavor to your keto-friendly recipes. Give it a try and see how it fits into your diet!

• Hawk

July 11, 2023 at 5:10 pm

I recently watched a video of Dr. Laurie Mischley in which she describes her research which showed that the MIND diet is best for Parkinson’s. Here’s a link to her talk: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpfNnnAzKI&feature=youtu.be

• Kenneth

August 29, 2023 at 3:40 pm

While there’s no conclusive evidence to support the use of a keto diet for Parkinson’s disease management, some individuals have reported improvements in symptoms. Consulting a medical professional is crucial before making dietary changes. Also, be cautious about artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame ( here for more info https://betterme.world/articles/sucralose-vs-aspartame/ ), which are commonly used in keto-friendly products. Their impact on Parkinson’s isn’t well understood. Always prioritize professional guidance for dietary decisions.