Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Using Our Forums I am wondering if anyone uses a posture brace and if it helps?

• I am wondering if anyone uses a posture brace and if it helps?

Posted by Toni Shapiro on November 22, 2019 at 9:49 am

I have an inexpensive posture brace that is suppose to help you straighten up. I got it a long time before my diagnosis because I noticed I was leaning forward and my back was rounding. Has anyone tried one and does it help?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 22, 2019 at 5:41 pm

hi toni, i dont use one, but my body is pretty straight from years of dance.  have you tried physical therapy?

• Toni Shapiro

November 24, 2019 at 10:04 am

Hi Jean, I am new to the form and you are my first response, thank you. I have tried phiso but it is expensive. Since my symptoms have worsened I am planning on trying it again after the holidays. I appreciate your suggestion. It was a reminder to me.

• Melba W. Benson

November 24, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Toni, I use a brace in the evenings when my symptoms become so much worse as recommended by my doctor. I ordered it from Amazon at the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00267SFKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This brace has been really helpful to me.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 24, 2019 at 2:09 pm

toni, your insurance doesnt cover PT?  that stinks… i am glad melba has a suggestion for you.

• Melba W. Benson

November 24, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Jean and Toni, My osteopathic physician I go to for manipulations referred me to a physical therapist in Dallas who did a one-time consultation for $100 and prescribed physical therapy exercises. The most helpful person to me has been an athletic trainer with Arlington Orthopedic Associates. I was having to walk with a cane until I went to him, and he taught me in a few sessions how to walk without my cane. How freeing that was! The cost to spend an hour with him was $50, which was well worth it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 24, 2019 at 2:23 pm

melba, that is great, definitely money well spent, especially if the trainer gave you exercises to do on your own.  i believe exercise and movement are key to fighting this disease.   toni, have you looked into rocksteadyboxing.org for a location near you?

• Andrew L.

November 24, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Might be a useful alternative to a posture brace, uses bio feedback

https://store.uprightpose.com/products/upright-go2

• Toni Shapiro

November 26, 2019 at 9:59 am

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support.  Happy Thanksgiving

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 26, 2019 at 2:10 pm

happy thanksgiving to all…

• Andrew L.

November 26, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I was asked by Mary Beth if I ever tried a back brace, not sure where to reply (every time I hit reply there is nowhere to type), don’t find this site to be very easy to navigate…anyway my answer is yes, but I don’t like braces in general as they tend to weaken muscles as the brace does the work your muscles do. So prefer to strengthen muscles if possible which in my case it was.

• Mary Beth Skylis

November 26, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I’m a new moderator and I still get a little confused by our design too. Thanks for hanging in there. Yeah strengthening muscles seems like a good idea but I could see the allure of a brace as well. My Dad tries to take an active approach as well. He boxes a couple times a week, and the fitness seems to help.

• Laura Mahony

November 28, 2019 at 9:42 am

My neurologist says braces don’t work because the cause is neurologic, not muscular. I agree, braces probable weaken muscles and can make it worse. Exercise like Big and Loud and Delay the Disease and Rock Steady boxing are your best chance.

• Toni Shapiro

November 28, 2019 at 10:39 am

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I got it because I was told if used it for 20 minutes a day for a month or so it would train my muscle memory but this was prior to my diagnosis. I use the treadmill 6 days a week and use weights 3 times a week and thought maybe if I exercised with the brace it would help but I don’t think I’ll use it anymore.  Again thank you to all who responded.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 28, 2019 at 11:09 am

Laura, Toni, I believe exercise, especially rock steady boxing is a God send for PwP.  Anytime we can work our bodies is good for us.