Tagged: ,

• steve-tibbs

December 27, 2022 at 2:54 pm

I do have a dark sense of humor but I’m careful to use it judiciously with pd (mainly with close friends and family). I do radio work and never joke about it on air. I never know who’s listening or what their circumstances are. When I was first diagnosed, I was open about it on air after seeing the public ignorance. Over time, I realized that I couldn’t solve that issue. I’ll freely answer questions that are asked but I won’t do much but mention the disease during one show during Parkinson’s Awareness Month

• Karla Burkhart

December 27, 2022 at 3:36 pm

I feel that no matter what circumstances we may find in life, in sickness or health, humor is a vital part of being a useful human being who is able to see life in proper perspective. Without humor we can fall apart at the slightest thing. I never thought life would bring me something as difficult as Parkinson’s but it could always be worse.

• dkdagd73

December 27, 2022 at 7:21 pm

I think that humor is important in any endeavor. In fact, I consider it a legitimate form of self-medication. There are many things that you can do. You can go to a place where they have cards. For example, you can go to a place where they sell cards (birthday, anniversary, etc.). Look through the cards. Pull out those that made you laugh. Write down the sayings that you found. Or a take picture of those that you find humorous. After you are one, put them back where they belong.
    Here are two samples that I found on a recent trip:
    “I have multiple personalities and none of them like you.”
    “Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you will find a brain back there.”
    I am not suggesting that you buy the card and mail it to a coworker or a client, I am suggesting that this might be a good source of laughs.

• deborah-debbie-deview

January 10, 2023 at 12:56 pm

I need also to hear some humor a long time ago there was a book about humor and Parkinson I could listen any time. I don’t always hear about this. Need more

I remember looking at cards in store and laugh. Great suggestion

• deborah-debbie-deview

January 10, 2023 at 12:56 pm

I need also to hear some humor a long time ago there was a book about humor and Parkinson I could listen any time. I don’t always hear about this. Need more

I remember looking at cards in store and laugh. Great suggestion

• tom-steiner

December 27, 2022 at 9:38 pm

I have always had a sense of humor. From slapstick to parody and even a dark side, if I can laugh at it, it was good.

I have always used humor to help me deal with whatever life has thrown at me. In regards to Parkinson’s humor has been right there at my side helping me cope with the it. I have noticed that when the subject of my Parkinson’s comes up it is a real mood killer. Humor helps get past that and lets people know that I am dealing with Parkinson’s with a good attitude. Humor also makes it easier for me to talk about it. I have come up with some light hearted lines that tell people that Parkinson’s is not going to stop me from living. I will share them if you would like.

If I didn’t have a sense of humor, I would probably not have made it this far in life.

• toni-shapiro

December 29, 2022 at 9:40 am

Thanks Mary Beth…Yes, I use humour all the time.  Love, love humour! It makes me smile and even if I am making a joke about myself it lifts me.  I notice that other people become more comfortable when I use it and will make funny observations about me in return.  My husband and I banter and have fun. I enjoy it. Yes,  I am aware my Parkinson’s is a terrible disease and I do suffer from it but I don’t want it to make me take it so seriously that there is no room for anything else.

• steve-r

January 11, 2023 at 2:36 am

Tom, I always joke around with my  friends that when McDonalds needs a milk shake maker that I am their man for the job.

• richard cooling

December 29, 2022 at 3:09 pm

I would love to hear some good jokes.    I’ve been kinda down on my parky lately.  ????

• tom-steiner

December 29, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Because my Parkinson’s doesn’t own me, when talking with other people about it I tell them I can now make the perfect martini – shaken, not stirred. I also tell them about the great scrambled eggs I can make.

I used to do a lot of wood turning. It was and still is my passion. However, due to my Parkinson’s I now have the best looking firewood in Indiana.

Also, Parkinson’s and mousetraps don’t mix.

I put my smart watch on my right foot and can get my 10,000 steps in without leaving the house.

I hope I put a smile on someones face.

• mary-beth-skylis

January 5, 2023 at 1:47 pm

Tom, I love this. My dad jokes that he’s the best jigger of the fishing group. You definitely put a smile on my face. What a difference perspective can make!

• mark-blinson

December 29, 2022 at 5:44 pm

Some of us Parkinson’s guys had a support group awhile back.  We called ourselves “the movers and shakers”!

• mary-beth-skylis

January 5, 2023 at 1:48 pm

What a great name, Mark! I always feel a little bit better when I remember not to take myself so seriously. Humor helps with that.

• deborah-debbie-deview

January 10, 2023 at 12:54 pm

• deborah-debbie-deview

January 10, 2023 at 12:54 pm

• troy

January 10, 2023 at 2:48 pm

Yes- I am quick to laugh and I do have a dark sense of humor. Fortunately, my wife is the same way. We joke about my stuff around family and friends and this allows everyone to feel at ease and sometimes, they’ll even join in on the fun (like my Mother-in-law asking me to carry the unset jello casserole to the fridge- HA!). Would never joke around someone else with PD, unless I knew it okay to do so. PD aside, I’ve always approached life with humor. If I stopped now, I’d be allowing my symptoms to control me more than they already do. Not happening. BTW: Tom, I joke that the title of my book will be called “Shaking…Not Stirred.” Great!!

• tom-steiner

January 13, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Troy, love the title. The look in people’s faces is priceless. When I use it the first look is one of puzzlement. The second they get the joke the laughter starts.

It makes everyone more comfortable talking about PD.

I do try to feel out the room. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

Never had to carry the jello but nobody will sit near me when I eat soup

Take care

• ken-aidekman

January 11, 2023 at 10:19 am

Parkinson’s is NOT funny.

The things that happen to us every day in life can be absolutely hysterical.

One of the first lessons I learned about PD was that having a good sense of humor gives you a significant advantage.

PD effects so many aspects of our lives. I would go bonkers if I took it too seriously. We’re on a whole different ride in the carnival. Better to laugh than to let it get you down. Humor is also an important way to stay socialized. Face it, your masked face and quiet demeanor aren’t winning you sympathy points.

Ken

• leonard-earl

January 12, 2023 at 5:34 pm

It doesn’t cost a thing to laugh. It sure helps.

Couple thoughts:

I have Parkinson’s and realize I can’t play the dead guy on TV or in Movies.

I was at the fair and stopped at a vendors booth offering CBD products. She put some creme on my hand that tremors. It seemed to help for a bit. But now all my hand wants to do is lay on the couch and play video games.

• tom-steiner

January 15, 2023 at 2:53 pm

Just saw a forum post about vibrating forks for Parkinson’s. It reminded about the comment my wife told our friends. She said that she doesn’t need to put a quarter in the bed anymore.

If I have to explain,  you are too young.