This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ally 1 day, 18 hours ago.

• Author
     Ally 
    Keymaster

“How are you?” is such a commonly asked question that I hardly think twice about it these days. Rarely do I say anything beyond “Busy” or “good” or “busy but good!” even if that isn’t really the case. Unless I’m talking privately with someone I know very well, I rarely open up and share honestly about how I’m really doing (be it good or bad).

What about you? How do you answer the question? Like me, do you have standard quick response for most people, or do you take the time to really answer the question honestly every time?

JulianH 
    Participant

Like Ally I usually give the quick response.  or sometimes “challenging” or sometimes I say (truthfully) “I am very lucky, it has been 12 years since diagnosis and it’s progressing slowly”. Or  “now I know what high maintenance really means”, or “i am learning too much about medical science”  or “fascinating disease if you don’t have it”.   I’d like to find some more humorous responses, because I think maintaining a sense of humor is a big help to yourself as well as  to those around you.

Ally 
      Keymaster

Julian, I think that’s a great approach. I’m also working on being honest/direct about my challenges while also maintaining a positive and grateful mindset. Humour is great for taking the edge off hard news, too. 🙂

Bob Hodgson 
    Participant

My standard answer is “great” because if I’m not it lifts my spirits. Truth be told if I really think about all I have to be grateful for I should change my response to “fantastic!”. Have a great day!

Jean Mellano 
      Keymaster

Great attitude Bob!  I usually say ”  Do you really want to know?”  LOL

Ally 
      Keymaster

Love your positive attitude, Bob! I bet it’s contagious. 🙂

Lou Hevly 
    Participant

Can’t complain, or I’m fine.

Jean Mellano 
      Keymaster

good answers lou, sometimes i  am just too tired to explain…

Lou Hevly 
        Participant

When anyone tells me I’m “looking good” I respond, “That’s cause I’ve got my clothes on”.

Jean Mellano 
        Keymaster

lol

Jo S. 
        Participant

Hahaha! Good one, Lou! I get the “but you look great” response quite a lot. It’s a bit flustering, as I know people are trying to be complimentary, and yet it totally discounts how I actually feel (and diminishes the far-reaching effects and challenges of this disease).

Ally 
        Keymaster

Too funny, Lou! You have a great sense of humour.

Marcus Sutherland 
    Participant

Doing well, unless it’s a close friend they know better. I try to stay positive.

Jean Mellano 
    Keymaster

franciso, thank you for sharing… here is english translation:

To friends I say * Like Steel * To the curious * Never Worse *. I do not stretch much. I prefer to talk about other topics.

Mehmet Güney Şenol 
    Participant

It’s a habit to call this question “I’m fine.”
    I’m not really good. However I like to say, “Well, let’s be good”.

Jean Mellano 
      Keymaster

Mehmet, i think you are on to something!  By saying you are good may help you to be ‘good’ even if you dont feel that way

Aos amigos digo*Como o Aço* Aos curiosos*Nunca Pior*.Não me alongo muito.Prefiro falar sobre outros temas.

Jo S. 
    Participant

I generally say that I’m doing well, especially if it’s someone I’m not close to or who doesn’t know I have PD. I haven’t told a lot of people, but with those I’ve told, I might say, “I’m doing okay,” or “So so,” or something along those lines if I’m not feeling particularly well right then. I guess it all depends on the person and the circumstances.

Tahmy Moore 
    Participant

Not to be so critical, but when I’m asked that question I always think. . . “Do you really want to know?”   I think most people ask that question because they don’t know what else to ask, but they really don’t want to know the answer.  So, it’s just easier to say, “Oh I’m doing great.”

The one I get asked the most is, “Are you limping?  Did you hurt your leg?”  I know I shouldn’t, but I enjoy saying, “Oh, no.  I have Young Onset Parkinson’s disease.”  Nine times out of ten the person is at a loss of words and I just smile.  Then they usually say, “I’m sorry.” And I always say, “Don’t be sorry.  I’m not.  I’m actually lucky.  Do you realize the percentages are so low for women my age to develop YOPD?  I feel lucky that I’m one of those few women in the world.  God must have something really special planned for me.”  🙂

Jean Mellano 
      Keymaster

i too think to myself “do you really want to know?”  i think this is an issue that afflicts anyone with a chronic illness.  keeping our sense of humor about it helps.

Carol Rothfeld 
    Participant

When asked how I am I sometimes say “I’m hanging in” or I’m here. Only close family really want to know how I actually am.

Jean Mellano 
    Keymaster

carol,  so true, most people have their own crosses to bear and do not want to hear our woes 🙁

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account