Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How do you answer, "How are you?"

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 6, 2019 at 7:11 am

Roseanne, that must be difficult, having aging parents to care for when you have a chronic illness and you want to spare them from knowing what you have.  i believe scott milsten (an earlier poster in this thread is in a similar situation with aging parents.

• Scott Milstein

December 6, 2019 at 7:39 am

Jean, thanks for the articles. They are on my reading list for the weekend.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 6, 2019 at 7:41 am

scott  i hope you enjoy them.  rsb is my support group.  it is wonderful being with people who can relate to what you are going through..

• Maria Cesena

December 6, 2019 at 7:01 pm

I always say, Alive and well by the grace of God. I don’t believe people truly want to hear the truth and generally ask out of politeness. I may be judging people too harshly, but I am still angry with this diagnosis and am doubtful and suspicious of almost everything.

• Lou Hevly

December 7, 2019 at 7:58 am

Dear Maria,

I think there are people, and then again, there are people (See? I’m a truly profound thinker!). Some are really concerned, especially if they’ve just learned you’ve got PD and others are just going through the motions. And it’s hard to really tell who’s who. But as it is for the shepherd, for us it’s worth trying to separate the sheep from the goats.

Anger is good for catharsis, for the “purgation of emotions”, but it’s probably not a good place to stay. And has being diagnosed with PD been responsible for making you “doubtful and suspicious of almost everything”? I can’t really empathize that well, because I’ve so far been “lucky” and had mild symptoms (Well, if I were really lucky I wouldn’t have got PD in the first place!), so if having PD has caused major disruption for you, then all I can say is I’m sorry for you.

Finally, here’s a relevant quote from Michael J Fox’s web site:
      «Many neurologists report that symptom deterioration is often significantly slower in those who take a positive and proactive stance toward their condition than in those who do not.It would be ridiculous to suggest that a positive mental attitude is achievable all the time. But we have found various methods that help enormously to remain upbeat about life.»
      https://files.michaeljfox.org/Guide_for_the_Newly_Diagnosed.pdf

All the best,
      Lou

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 7, 2019 at 8:01 am

Lou,  thanks for your valuable  input.  Maria, you are not alone in feeling anger.  it can be a natural response to this disease.  We just cant stay in that place. I struggle with that myself.

• Scott Milstein

December 7, 2019 at 8:44 am

Lou,

Great post. I was diagnosed in September and I haven’t had that angry stage. I think that is because of two things. First, I finally had an answer as to why things were happening. Second, I jumped into therapy and exercise immediately.

I may get angry yet but at least for now I’ve been ok.

• Jo S.

December 7, 2019 at 1:32 pm

I feel the same way, Scott (about Lou’s post and about not having gotten angry yet). I was diagnosed earlier this year, and like you, I was oddly relieved because I finally had an answer regarding all the things that I’ve been experiencing for years on end. And, also like you, I’m trying to be proactive. That said, I have had times of very deep sadness when I am physically at my worst and no amount of exercise or therapy helps.

Page 2 of 2