Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Keymaster

Are you a religious or spiritual person? How has your diagnosis and disease progression affected – or maybe tested – your faith in a higher power? If you’re not spiritual or religious, where do you look for strength or encouragement?

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Ally.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Marta Ribeiro.

My husband (who has PD) and I are optimists I would say.  This disease is such that it is impossible to predict the course it will take.  For this reason, we remain hopeful that his type of PD will hold its own for some time.  We also keep the faith that newer and better treatment options will be on the market over time.  We have just taken the attitude that it is not worthwhile to fret and stew about what ‘might’ happen 5 or 8 years from now as it may not.  We also think that it is more depressing to focus on the future rather than now.  He recently said to me that he never, ever thinks about PD when he gets up in the morning – and he never focuses on it during the day.   The participants in these forums offer some really valuable strategies for coping and addressing symptoms and their comments are very encouraging.  We notice so many positive attitudes which in and of itself is encouraging.  Our main strength comes from having each other as we are somewhat like two peas in a pod.

Mary Beth Skylis

Mary, I think he’s onto something. Ruminating doesn’t help anyone. And if you spend all of your time thinking about what could go wrong, it’s almost as if you’re already consumed by it. My Dad takes a similar approach to his battle with PD. Sometimes the symptoms get in the way, but he doesn’t really want to know about all the possibilities. And I think it’s wise not to think too hard about them because everyone’s version of PD is a little different anyways. Seems like a “take it as it comes” attitude might be most effective when handling PD challenges.

Ally
      Keymaster

Thanks for responding, Mary. I think you and John have a great outlook and I’m glad you have each other to lean on. Why do you think you and John share this positive, solutions-focused mindset? Is it something you developed and strengthened together over time, or do you think how you were raised or other factors have had an impact? Do you think this is something that can learned or do you think you either have it or you don’t?

I’m also curious to know more about how you respond when you run into negative Nellies or people who don’t think like you do. What do you do?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Ally.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account