Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Do you use any health trackers?

• Do you use any health trackers?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on March 11, 2024 at 9:50 am

I’m super analytical. I love to collect data points and evaluate how I’m doing based on those data points. It’s a quality that’s helped me achieve athletic goals as well as live a balanced life. 

My latest experience has been with the WHOOP, which is a subscription service recovery tool that tells you about health details like your heart rate variability and your resting heart rate. It’s been really fun to see how different life factors impact my day-to-day recovery. 

Do you use any health trackers? If so, which one(s)? If not, would you?

Sussan Thomas replied 4 weeks ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Ally

March 13, 2024 at 11:49 am

I used to have a Fitbit, which I loved for tracking steps and sleep. I now have a knock off Apple Watch that isn’t quite as accurate, so whenever I partake in activity I try to use the Strava app on my phone instead. I may go back to using a Fitbit soon too.

• flavia-lombardo

March 14, 2024 at 9:04 am

I know the smart shoes nushu that help with freezing and tracking

• Karla Burkhart

March 14, 2024 at 2:43 pm

I have an oura ring that I love. I have had it for several years now and pay a monthly fee that is not very much to get updates. Yet does a wonderful job of telling me how much sleep I get, the quality of sleep I get, keeping track of my activity, keeping my blood pressure and my heart rate records, in fact things that I don’t even think about are kept. It was a little pricey to begin with, I thought, but not as much as a lot of other trackers. It is a ring that I wear day and night and check once a day.

• Jeffery Hill

March 17, 2024 at 9:10 am

I use a Garmin fitness tracker on my wrist and pay close attention to my daily sleep, heart rate, daily step count and weekly intensity minutes. I’ve observed some important changes in the past 4 years. Compared to the period just before COVID (which kept me out of the gym for 3 years), I find that I’m not able to match the peak heart rate that I used to achieve during Spin classes. I usually top out at 117 bpm vs 126 pre-COVID. Basically my muscles won’t deliver, and I’m topping out at a lower level, before my cardio system maxes out. Also, my sleep is deteriorating, and I now get only 4 to 6 hours per night vs 6 to 7 prior to PD. I was diagnosed in 2016.

• Kenneth

March 28, 2024 at 3:51 am

I use Fitbit. It tracks my steps, heart rate, sleep, and more. However, I’m intrigued by WHOOP’s focus on recovery metrics like heart rate variability. Exploring different tools like this can offer valuable insights into overall health. For example betterme can offer a big variety of good exercises and insights. I came across on nice walking lunges alternative here and it is such a good option to check.

• Jay

March 28, 2024 at 6:51 pm

Whoop looks interesting. I’d be interested to know if some of the autonomic changes associated Parkinson’s would affect the heart data. Does it provide you with insights that can influence your day-to-day? What is attractive about it to you?

The subscription may be a little steep for me right now but it’s a nice form factor for sure. I have a hard time sleeping with a wearable on. I have a friend who loves his Oura ring and I’ve considered that in the past.

Just looking at the responses, I’m wondering if anyone is using one of the apps paired with a consumer wearable designed for Parkinson’s, like Strive PD?

I just did a program on some of those products, as well as some other interesting tech for a movement disorders clinic in Northern Virginia. The video and slides are available free on the website if anybody wants to get some ideas about some PD-specific tracking tools and other tech.

https://ipmdc.org/recently-diagnosed

In the meantime, I’m going to check out Whoop…

-John

• Sussan Thomas

March 29, 2024 at 2:18 pm

I’ve been using a Fitbit for a while now, mainly to track my steps and sleep patterns. It’s not as fancy as WHOOP, but it gets the job done for me.