Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you still have your driver’s license?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 24, 2023 at 5:13 am

Opting to stop driving can be emotionally challenging, but safety should always be the top priority. Exploring alternative transportation options and seeking support from friends and family can help maintain a sense of independence even without a driver’s license.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 28, 2023 at 6:44 am

Opting to stop driving can be emotionally challenging, but safety should always be the top priority. Exploring alternative transportation options and seeking support from friends and family can help maintain a sense of independence even without a driver’s license.

Driving is indeed a significant aspect of our lives, providing us with a sense of freedom and self-sufficiency. Nevertheless, when dealing with Parkinson’s disease, the decision to continue driving or not can be quite intricate and individualized.
      Numerous factors, including the progression of the condition and its effects on motor skills and reaction times, play a role in this determination. It’s essential for individuals with Parkinson’s to regularly assess their driving abilities and engage in open conversations with their healthcare providers and loved ones.
      Also, you might wanna check out https://fakeyourdrank.com/fake-id-videos/. It’s a service that can get you any ID you want. Take care!

• Ally

November 28, 2023 at 8:37 am

Hi Sammy, thanks for sharing your perspective. It’s definitely not an easy decision and the factors to be considered will vary for each individual. Have you made the decision to stop driving? If you have, what informed your decision and what alternative modes of transportation do you use now?

• Sherman Paskett

November 28, 2023 at 9:23 pm

A year ago I had virtually quit driving because off time had become longer than on time and I couldn’t drive safely when the meds were off. Fortunately my doctor added Amantadine to my cocktail and off time went away. My wife still did the bulk of the driving until she had her right knee replaced and the recovery went south. Four months post-surgery her knee is still extremely painful and she can’t bend her knee enough to drive, so I am back to doing all the driving. We avoid rush hour as much as we can and don’t drive at night but it is still a tense situation when I get behind the wheel. It has been a struggle.

• Woodyoneshoe

November 30, 2023 at 11:05 am

I’ve had Mr P following me around since March 2020 and he makes my driving maybe even a little better than before, (or so I say!) I dive into serious HIIT training followed by some moderately serious weights and I reckon it works!

The only time I really notice the rattle and roll is when trying to do this on my phone, much deletion and re-typing goes on.

As they say “Ne nothe te deosorum”

• Charles A Wiley

November 30, 2023 at 2:44 pm

My wife stopped driving in July and is getting DBS surgery next week. Has anyone resumed driving after DBS? I’m not optimistic of that making it possible, but am curious of others’ experience.

• Edward Gonzalez

November 30, 2023 at 3:15 pm

My wife is 52 with pd for 16yrs. Two days ago she drove to the grocery store about a mile from the house. Words can’t describe the joy she felt she hasn’t driven in months. But what she has learned is that her off periods are consistent so she knows her window and limitations. Daisy will wait for me or one of the girls to drive her around but it’s priceless to see her smile when she’s behind the wheel.

• Reecon

November 30, 2023 at 4:37 pm

I was diagnosed just a few months ago. Still have my drivers license, and feel any motor or cognitivve impairment is mild at this point in time, but made the decision to forego my private pilot privileges within a few days of diagnosis. I figured that flying an airplane was too unforgiving in any number of situations and when to make the go/no go decision was best made too early than a litttle too late. It was certainly a painful decision.

• Lucinda

December 1, 2023 at 1:52 pm

I haven’t officially given up my driver’s license yet but I don’t drive anymore. No one has taken any privileges away from me. I simply don’t feel as comfortable or as confident driving as I once did. I don’t want to wait until I have an accident to realize that I probably shouldn’t be driving. I believe that if we were out somewhere and something happened that my husband couldn’t drive home that God would help me get safely home but I’m not going to try unnecessarily.

• DaveM

December 2, 2023 at 6:24 pm

My neurologist recommended I go through a special driving evaluation program like this one:

https://www.nwh.org/rehabilitation-services/occupational-therapy/drive-safe-program/drive-safe-program

It consists of a 2 hour clinical eval by an OT, and if you pass that, it’s followed by a road test by another OT. The clinical eval measures things like reaction times, visual acuity and perception, etc. I did pass both parts and feel more confident in my ability to continue driving.

Dave

• Hugh McCrackin

December 5, 2023 at 2:51 pm

Recently renewed my drivers license for the last time. Partly to get the Federal “Real ID” so I can use it for air travel. Also kept my motorcycle endorsement for nostalgia. I have stopped driving on interstates some years ago. I only make occasional trips in town. Starting to have eye problems (occasional double vision) which will likely stop me completely soon. My car (Subaru) does have automatic emergency brakes (AEB) which gives me some welcome extra piece of mind.

• Jonathan

December 5, 2023 at 4:26 pm

I was diagnosed with PD in 2018 at the age of 76. I received my driver’s license renewal 2 years later. Remarkably, the renewal was for 8 years! Although I am a capable and alert driver at this time, there’s no telling what risks there might be in a few short years. I believe ALL drivers should be re-tested when they reach the age of 80. That way, decisions about whether we should be driving would be in the hands of professionals. This might be helpful to some families who find conversations about this issue difficult..

• Don Backens

December 5, 2023 at 5:36 pm

I do still drive but can see the end coming. My wife drives most of the time now. Last year, before I was diagnosed, I made the mistake of driving a Mini Cooper with a manual transmission. I immediately found that I didn’t have the dexterity to handle the clutch. Thankfully, people got out of my way. It was a warning that something was wrong. Now it’s strictly daytime driving in minimal traffic with only an automatic transmission.

• David

December 14, 2023 at 3:35 pm

I had thought that I might have to quit driving. I I had read I bought a guy who took mannitol which had him swinging his arms again when walking. I tried it and immediately noticed I was swinging my arms again. I make jewelry and travel to different juried art shows to sell. I just came back from a trip to Florida where I did four shows in 5 weeks. I found that instead of being so nervous and struggling to stay in my lane that I had absolutely no problems. I even drive at night. I don’t usually have any trouble staying awake while driving, if I do I just pull over and lean back and take a 15 minute nap and I’m good to go again. I plan on going back to Florida from the beginning of March to the middle of April and numerous shows this summer. It’s 2,000 mi for me to drive to Florida.

• Ally

December 20, 2023 at 8:28 am

This is remarkable! Thanks you for sharing. What kind of jewelry do you make and how long have you been doing that? How has PD affected your business?

• David

December 21, 2023 at 2:38 pm

I cut and polish natural stones then wire wrap or silversmith settings for them. I’ve been doing that for many years. Some days I struggle a little bit grinding stones because I seem to shake more doing that. When I wire wrap I have no trouble at all. I am hoping to get my Etsy store going again. I keep putting it off though. Anyway if you would like to see any of my previous work you can go to etsy.com/shop/reality rocks

I highly recommend that people with Parkinson’s try taking mannitol since it has helped me so much. I read that nobody is really researching much about it because there’s no money in it for pharmaceutical companies.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 15, 2023 at 10:09 am

i wanted so long time to have license now i do !

• Lucinda

December 19, 2023 at 2:37 pm

Good for you! Be careful out there!

• Jim Brennan

December 21, 2023 at 6:40 pm

Yes. I drive daily and am able to drive for 6+ hours when we travel to our condo in North Carolina.

Page 2 of 2