• John Citron

January 13, 2022 at 1:06 am

I have three possible vectors where I got PD from.

My grandfather on my mum’s side had it. He unfortunately passed away with no treatment for it. I remember him tremoring away and staring off into space. The family blamed his tremors on drinking, but he didn’t drink a lot to cause tremors as I’ve seen in other people. He was also called lazy, dumb, and slow, and this was the Parkinson Disease; he was none of that at all.

I worked in the high-tech industry initially in circuit board assembly and later as a technician where I was exposed to solvents, flux, solder, and chemicals from the components themselves.

I was also on Lipitor from 1995 to 2004.

I always questioned statins and never felt well when I took it, but being a good patient, I listened to my doctor. I have familial high cholesterol and it takes a lot to lower the values to the “normal” range. The doctor doubled my dosage and after that I really didn’t feel well. During a routine blood test, he discovered I had very high CPK levels and during this time I also had really bad cramps in my legs. I was sent for an EMG/NCT and that showed some muscle weakness and I also had Rhabdomyolysis from it. I stopped the medication and never felt right since.

By mid-2004, the spasms and cramps got worse. I would get them when driving and ended up pulling off the road. Little did I know that was the PD. I still get those so bad in the wee hours that I have broken toenails. My hands tighten up so bad I end up with bruises in my palms sometimes at the same time as the feet doing their thing.

I could barely get out of my car, and my left arm wasn’t swinging. My manager noticed that and the fact I wasn’t smiling. He noticed too that I was clenching my left hand tightly and asked who I was about to put down, kiddingly of course! He did insist I smile. Knowing now what was going on then, now makes sense.

I am a classically trained pianist and played and still play almost daily. I noticed too that my hands wouldn’t always get their act together and my coordination was off. One day, I developed tremors on my left side, and it was then I contacted my doctor. I still get this and it’s very upsetting and frustrating.

He sent me to a neurologist who said I had Focal Dystonia after we met for about 19 minutes. He came to this conclusion because I play the piano 1 hour per day if I was lucky. Yeah, this did it.

He handed me a bunch of brochures and said to see him in a few weeks for further testing. I then saw his associate who noticed other pyramidal and extra-pyramidal anomalies. I then met with this doctor again, and he said exactly what he said before along with set up an appointment with my Botox clinic. It was then I put the brakes on and questioned him. Let’s say I didn’t have a good repour with him afterwards.

Being a musician, I joined a Musician’s with Dystonia support forum and talked about my symptoms. The doctor on the forum told me to seek a second opinion because what I had didn’t sound like FD! A friend of mine, a doctor, also said the same thing. There’s a picture of us standing together and there I am holding my sore left biceps, again.

After that, I insisted that neurologist give me some Sinemet, and it worked 100%! I felt normal after the first dose with not even a touch of nausea. The medication increased plus Mirapex.

When I asked him about PD, he said I wasn’t old enough to have it. I then switched to another neurologist in November 2016 after he messed up a report to my primary care doctor, and I’ve been with her ever since.

• Patricia Conner

January 13, 2022 at 1:55 am
    1. I had a bad accedent that affected my neck and spine.  It was a 10hour operation and a lot of physical excercise afterwards. .  I was operated in the USA,  but physical was in Mexico via the French .  Usa was good for operations but they have no concept on just living with a problem as not all can be solved.  Sorry, I am European.  Anyway, I swam three times a week and had magnets (FORBIDDEN IN THE STATES BUT ETERNALLY USED IN EUROPE) and dances to Rod  Stewart.  When covid came, I could not go to the pool and my addison pick up.  I went on urgent care, dying and I survived but then I had Parkinson tremors.  As it worked after the accident, I dance sitting on a chair like a mad arm swinging women, voice excercises and swam.  But I have non systems Parkinson and tiredness.  I learned that you can not be tired twice so only one can cause that.  I take one pill a day for addison and only one for  Parkinson .  Luckily, I am of  two nationalities.  The USA likes to know Why and has a boss for all.  This is good for new medicine.  But the French like to know how to live with it and work backwards to forwards.  They insiste on excercises and just brushing  off the idea something gave it to you.  It is just life. I dance to rod Stewart “you can stop me now” which makes me throw off the weight of knowing I have Parkinson.  His rythem is constant AND 15minutes takes off the half day freezing etc.   But my addison is fatal in ten yrs but never causes me any problems except one pill a day. .  Me and Rod Stewart, swimming, singing for voice are working for me to have fun.  I am 75yrs so my knees hurt but that is age, not Parkinson. My excercise and living with Parkinson is like any 75 yrs as long as I keep dancing to Rod and also alexander who has Parkinson but was leader of boichoi ballet.  The Russians are like the French.  We need to know how to Live with it and why is for the future generation.  So your mental spirit is most important.  Do not hope for a cure but fun the next day.  Europe and Asia and Russia are famous for “living” with it as we had the the “trembling sickness” for many years.  The US is working on the INTENT theory that saves Dopamine and we are very grateful for their help as they are to ours.  I do not believe we know what causes it so no guilt trips. I understand lung cancer as that is smoking.  But Parkinson is just life and IS the least horrible (NS, MA, AKS, HUNINGTONE, ETC)
    • John Citron

January 13, 2022 at 10:10 am

You went through the wringers as they say Patricia.

My first neurologist wanted to visit his Botox clinic to make money off of my insurance. Being one to question, meaning I put on my critical thinking cap and asked questions that he didn’t want to answer, we became adversaries.

Eventually, after a report back to my primary care doctor that completely contradicted what was discussed in his office, I finally got a second opinion. It was then that this young neurologist, fresh out of John Hopkin’s and did her residency at Mass. General, with an open mind who put me through a bunch more tests.

In addition to the EMG/NCT, I had tests for poisons, low vitamins, which proved my Vit B12 was dangerously low. Dangerously low as in being at 27 instead of in the 900-range where it should be. The first doctor never bothered and had made up his mind in 30 seconds, I think.

After this incident, I discovered you need to become your own advocate and fight back when things don’t “smell right”, you need to speak out and speak up loudly and keep pushing when things aren’t right.

I think part of the problem over here is doctors don’t listen to the patients and don’t look at the whole picture and instead focus on a tiny point. This is unlike the treatments you see in Europe where they focus on the body instead of one small thing.

Over here because of that micro-focusing, they instead have preconceived notions and theories rather than looking at all the facts and listening carefully. I ran into this with another doctor. I had pains in my neck along with numbness in my face and awful headaches. I was told it was a migraine and then told to deal with it.

After passing out one day, I lost coordination with my hands, couldn’t tie my shoes, or do much of anything for a month. I was sent for more tests… I had a TIA (ministroke)! During the ultrasound, a tumor was also discovered on my thyroid which I had that removed.

That was a 4.5 cm cyst putting pressure on my neck. When I had that removed, the pain in my neck and shoulder went away. I was experiencing two things and the doctor I had didn’t listen to me at all. My hands recovered, but the numbness on my face never went away.

• Robert Li

January 13, 2022 at 4:32 pm

John,

You have my deepest respect for following the evidence and working so hard to find what you need. Thanks for sharing your journey, it is helpful for me and I’m sure others to find solutions.

With respect to heavy metals, they mostly deposit in the bones and tissues after a few months so they are not readily measurable in the blood.  I suggested testing for manganese because it is not really considered a “heavy metal” in the usual sense.  Manganese is a component of almost all foods and needed in the body in miniscule amounts for such things as detoxification of reactive oxygen species.  However, paradoxically, manganese in excess amounts can act like a heavy metal.  So the body has a very complex homeostasis system for manganese.  In some people, such as people with liver cirrhosis, this homeostasis system can be broken.  You will usually, but not always be able to detect this in a manganese red blood cell test.   But this test is rarely done as part of a heavy metal screen.

Inhaled manganese pollution can bypass the first part of the body’s homeostasis system and travel via the olfactory nerve to the basal ganglia and deposit there.  Not surprisingly, welding is the highest risk common occupation for manganese-induced Parkinsonism and focal dystonias in the most used muscles.  This is because manganese can travel along synaptic pathways to whatever muscle sets you use/coordinate most, and create a local deposit.  Perhaps this could explain Musician’s dystonia?

Once this damage happens, the most common report is that the damage is permanent.   Chelating agents will not remove much of the manganese in the body and brain, partially because tissue stores tend to be high.  However, I was completely debilitated by dystonia and Parkinsonism two years ago.  Today, I am not at all disabled, although there are certain motions I still can’t do.  I will credit my recovery to a lot of different things, but primarily fixing my vitamin D deficiency and unstable digestion.  These issues muck up the homeostasis mechanisms.  I am planning to write about that on my website, probably in February.   I will also write about the reason that B12 and folate/folinic acid are so important for detox, and very genetics dependent.

Please, see if your heavy metals screen included an RBC manganese test.  My levels were equivalent to someone with stage 4 liver cirrhosis, nine months after I removed myself from exposure.

• John Citron

January 13, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for this detailed information as well, Robert. I see my neurologist in a couple of weeks, and I will bring this up again. She’s very open-minded about suggestions and we work together and not as adversaries that have two different paths.

Recently, during another routine blood test, it was found my Vit D was low and I’ve started supplements for that as well. I had a shot initially and now continue with pills for the. Vit B12 was initially weekly then monthly 5000 mcg injections and now due to Covid-19, I take 5000 mcg supplements. I do go for periodic blood tests for this because I’ve had absorption issues in the past and if the pills aren’t working well, I’ll need the shots. The B12 shots made a big difference in my symptoms more than anything I’ve taken.

I mentioned the high-tech industry work because I’ve noticed a correlation between PD and that. My neighbor, who sadly just passed away, also worked in the same industry as a hardware technician and also developed PD. It makes me wonder if the chemicals used to clean the circuits as well as the materials used to make the components has something to do with this. Is this a one-off? I’m not so sure. There are others in the same industry that also developed PD including the former head of Intel.

When all is said and done, we may never know because there are so many causes ranging from chemical exposure, viral infections, genetic predisposition, and anything else in between, but it’s worth working and researching with hopes to find out.

It’s interesting research and the correlations help us determine what the specific cause maybe in some areas, but there seems to be an underlying predisposition for it, otherwise, the numbers would be higher. Why is it only 500 people in an area end up with a specific cancer or PD while the remaining 200K-plus residents do not? Is it luck of the draw, or is it something else that makes that happen?

In my case, my grandfather had it. He also had the 1918 influenza which left him deaf. Was it the influenza that caused the PD, but why did I end up with it too? It’s questions like that go through my head all the time. I think this is in part my inquisitive mind, being one that loves science and engineering. It’s because of this, I put on my critical thinking cap and do a long and short look at everything that’s presented to me, and it was because of this the first, neurologist and I didn’t get along. He thought he could pull “I’m a smart doctor and you’re a dumb patient” on me and that didn’t go as planned. In the end, he’s no longer in practice which is a good thing for others but sadly he ruined a lot of people’s lives along the way.

• Robert Li

January 14, 2022 at 11:54 pm

John, if you’re taking vitamin D, you might want to consider asking for your iron levels/stores to be checked as well.  Vitamin D tends to increase the number of metal transporters we produce (by allowing RNA transcription), which is good.  However, if iron is low then absorption of manganese may increase because they share the same transporter used for iron absorption from the gut.   Also calcium will increase absorption, so it is good to eat green leafy vegetables and other sources of vitamin K to avoid too high levels of calcium in the blood.

Other tests you may want to ask for that can be related to motor issues is usually called RBC trace minerals – copper, magnesium, calcium, molybdenum, selenium, zinc, etc. in the red blood cells.  Imbalances of these can trigger motor disorders.  Also, if you ask for a manganese test, make sure the lab order has the test code number.  Otherwise someone along the chain may substitute magnesium for manganese.

• Robert Li

January 15, 2022 at 12:04 am

John, I think you’re right about several things – the higher risk factors in the high tech industry up to around 2010 include lead in solder and many of the chemicals used for making PC boards.  Lead and mercury not only cause various kinds of damage, they also disrupt the homeostasis of essential metals like manganese.

In terms of genetic differences, yes there is a lot of evidence.  But there is also good news – many of the genetic differences have workarounds.  They are the genetic differences that predispose us for vitamin D and B12 deficiencies or glutathione S-transferase differences, for example.  Often there are benefits to these differences, such as lower risk of some cancers, etc., that’s why these differences are common instead of one in a million.  But all together they could also increase the risk for PD when we’re exposed to certain toxins.  It’s usually a multi-factor issue and you can’t prove most of it, only plot out the risk factors in your life and eliminate them.

• John Citron

January 19, 2022 at 12:06 pm

The use of tin-lead solder is still prevalent in the electronics industry, although I haven’t touched a soldering iron since 1992 when I left that aspect of the industry and entered into computer operations. By then the US tech jobs had disappeared as they moved offshore.

I will ask my neurologist and my primary care doctor about my iron levels if the D and iron go hand in hand.

I agree there are too many dots to connect here, but maybe someday someone with enough money, time, and energy can do it.

• Robert Li

January 20, 2022 at 9:57 am

John, someday people will solve it, but not if they’re financed by the pharmaceutical industry.  I’ve been working with some of the top metals toxicity researchers in the world but it’s going to take a grassroots effort of people like you and me and many others.

After I found out that I had high manganese, I was shocked to discover that every multimineral supplement has it.  There is no reason to have it supplemented, because there’s enough in food to supply you several times over.  Vegetarians tend to have higher manganese levels due to the higher density in some foods like nuts, spinach, and some legumes.  It’s also speculated that it’s because there’s less iron in the diet.  Iron and manganese compete for the same absorption transports.  Vitamin D helps gene transcription, so it increase the number of transporter proteins in the blood.  In a test tube, vitamin D increased the number of SLC30A10 efflux transports manufactured by cells by a factor of 15 times.  SLC30A10 sit in the inside of cells and slowly remove excess manganese and bring it to the liver.  SLC30A10 can also carry zinc so I am careful about not over-supplementing with zinc, to reduce competition.  SLC30A10 are almost 500 amino acids (protein components) long, so if you have any kind of digestion issues, production may be an issue.

The other thing you must have to protect your neurons is glutathione.  Glutathione in the brain has to be produced by cells in the brain, although supposedly the liposomal form can pass the blood brain barrier.  Glutathione is composed of only three amino acids, and production is usually limited by genetics, methylation/sulfation cycle issues, or inadequate cysteine from the gut.

• Paulette Myers

January 13, 2022 at 5:29 pm

I believe I have a genetic propensity to Parkinsons.  My father had a mild case and his mother had a bad case.  His mother spent her life on a farm until she was in her mid-twenties and was probably exposed to pesticides on the farm.  I have prodromal Parkinsons and have REM Sleep Disorder, which I have successfully managed with Melatonin most of the time.  I had a very mild thumb tremor a few years ago, but I started a regular exercise program and that disappeared.  I have been to a neurologist, but they don’t seem to want to do anything until the disease gets worse and I need medication.  I have been very disappointed with that.

• Robert Li

January 15, 2022 at 8:22 am

Paulette, there’s definitely multiple genetic factors and I see disabling dystonias on one side of my family line.  However, I got over my disabling dystonia by changing my lifestyle habits including diet, sleep, reducing stress etc.  For example, I take Melatonin both to help me sleep and because it is an antioxidant against manganese-induced damage to dopamine and dopamine circuits: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263517329_Melatonin_Inhibits_Manganese-Induced_Motor_Dysfunction_and_Neuronal_Loss_in_Mice_Involvement_of_Oxidative_Stress_and_Dopaminergic_Neurodegeneration

I’ve been trying to write more about these kinds of things on my website but it is turning out to a big challenge!  dystoniahelp.org

• Robert Li

January 15, 2022 at 9:38 am

Elizabeth, I’m so sorry to hear how you were treated by the original neurologist!

It does seem you’ve tracked down many of your likely risk factors for PD, which is hard to do.  They definitely tend to be interrelated and none alone is likely to cause PD or severe systemic disease.  In terms of Factor 4: metabolic, have you found a doctor who can help you with the methylation and sulfation detoxification cycles (B12/folate/etc.), digestion, immune system, and metabolome, especially in regards to your detox genetics (MTHF, Glutathione-S-transferase, etc.)?

Also, you might find that after you’ve successfully removed some mercury, more of the other heavy metals such as lead and arsenic are more willing to release.  But it is important not to rush heavy metals removal, in order to protect kidneys from excessive redeposit.

Finally, something that has helped me a lot is to reduce my air pollution exposure using multiple HEPA filters and a cheap PM2.5 sensor ($<100).  There have been recent studies on the influence of PM2.5 on neurologic disease and on death risk and it is quite clear our bodies don’t have a great defense to air pollution when our metabolic issues are high, or we already have heavy metal deposits.

• Robert Li

January 15, 2022 at 9:43 am

Since you were exposed to pesticides, have you been checked for dysbiosis (imbalance of gut bacteria)?  Dysbiosis is a common driver for neurologic disease, and also has to do with immune system and genetics (such as natural vitamin D production rate).

• Elizabeth Bodner

January 14, 2022 at 9:22 am

My PD symptoms started January, 2002. I was 33. The neurologist predicted I would be in a wheelchair within 10 years, I started crying and was handed a prescription for an antidepressant. I have never taken one pill and so far no wheelchair. Tremor started 6 months after removing  14 Amalgam fillings within 2 months without protective use of chlorella algae, unfortunately. Later I tried to remove the amalgam metals esp mercury with DMPS combined with alpha Lipoic acid intravenously. My urine sample next morning was lab tested at 14x- 16 times higher than normal  mercury levels. I also sniffed DMSA to get to my brain via olfactory nerve. So metals for me definitely. Factor #2: pathogens esp. prions bacteria viruses but also amoeba (I grew up at a fresh water lake), worms, protozoa actually any bug. Factor 3: environmental: as a baby I lived in a house with asbest roof tiles and lead pipes: yay me. But also arsenic ( high amounts often found in rice) but I also believe it may be produced in the body by bacteria fungal  complexes). Factor 4: metabolic issues esp liver dysfunction (due to /I believe/ pathogens, glutathione insuff., harmful fatty acids) leaky gut is well known, hyper/hypoglycemia, harmful deposits in blood vessel walls ( Uric acid, oxalic acid, harmful fatty acid,  Dopal crystals /complexes deposits. Factor 5: last but not least: PSYCHOLOGICAL, as a child I was never allowed to cry because it bothered my parents so ever since I can remember I have been holding in emotions.

• John Citron

January 19, 2022 at 12:29 pm

Wow Elizabeth, your neurologist was kind wasn’t he! *Snark here*

Mercury and other heavy metals cause all kinds of nerve damage. The mad hatter was a real thing in the 19th century. The felt was treated with mercury to make the threads tighter and more pliable.

Why Was Mercury Used in Hat Production? – Hat Realm

Arsenic ends up in rice from chicken poop and feathers used as fertilizer. Arsenic is given to chickens to make them more palatable looking because it turns the flesh pinkish instead of letting it remain yellow. They go off to market and their manure and feathers is used to fertilize the rice. Arsenic is also used as a pesticide and for rodent control.

The other thing I read was the arsenic ends up in the rice paddies because the land, especially in the Southern stations in the US, that was once used to grow tobacco and cotton is now used to grow rice. The fields were treated with arsenic-based pesticides to wipe out the bole-weevils that feast on the plants.

How Much Arsenic In Rice Came From Chickens? | NutritionFacts.org

• Ally

January 19, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Elizabeth, thank you for sharing. I’m particularly intrigued by your comment about repressing emotions. I don’t know much about this as it relates to chronic illness or PD specifically. Have you talked to your doctor or a therapist about this? Curious to know more if you’re willing to share.

• KRIT SINGH CHAND

January 21, 2022 at 2:45 am

I was hesitating prior to this but today I disclose the reason why I had parkinson since 2010.  I am sure that this reason is confirmed as I met no. of my acquaintences who have PD.  The reason is too much sex.  I experienced leg crambling after having sex with my life partner in earlier days.  I then met three of my friends and relatives  who had PD.  They confirmed  that they also used to do  too much sex and I am sure that this is one reason.

• Den Russell

January 22, 2022 at 4:53 am

Well, well.  You,re really digging deep….

I am now thinking too little sex might be the reason

for my PD.  Keep smiling

• Robert Li

January 24, 2022 at 7:16 am

Impulse control disorders or behavioral addiction reported in Parkinson’s disease include pathological gambling, hypersexuality, compulsive buying and binge eating.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22921247/

Hello Krit Singh Chand, I wanted to share this, which may help you reframe your conclusions and perhaps feel a little more positive, looking forward.

There are genetic dopamine processing differences (primarily the COMT and DAT genes) that can predispose some of us to addiction, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, unusual sleep patterns, and even atypical response to caffeine.  These dopamine processing differences are not genetic defects, because they can have benefits, such as giving some of us excellent memories, unusual cognitive skills, or decreased need for sleep.

There is a risk if we have naturally high levels of dopamine.  When dopamine is released, it is more vulnerable to oxidation reactions.  Oxidized dopamine can cause dystonia / pain, and in the long run can damage dopamine producing neurons.

However, high levels of dopamine itself is not a risk.  The presence of toxins in the basal ganglia combined with dopamine increases the risk.   The most common source of toxins in the basal ganglia may be metal deposits due to exposure to long term industrial / metalworking / train track air pollution.  For more info, please see: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/significant-link-found-between-air-pollution-and-neurological-disorders/

To reduce my air pollution exposure, I have a “True HEPA” filter in every room of my house.   I also have a small air quality monitor (<$100).   Finally, I don’t go out for more than a few minutes without an N95 mask, when http://purpleair.com in my area reads yellow or worse air pollution.  Call me paranoid but at least I can move again!

• Natalie

February 1, 2022 at 8:47 pm

I am 100% convinced that my diagnosis was a result of severe, long-term stress. I was diagnosed with PD at the age of 49 with no familial history of PD. My symptoms began 3 or 4 years prior to my diagnosis. My marriage had been rocky for about 15 years, my job was very stressful, and my kids were struggling as a result. Three years prior to my diagnosis: my youngest son was hospitalized with an eating disorder, ran away, attempted suicide, started using drugs, sent to rehab. My husband was arrested for assaulting me. My oldest son was arrested for drug use. I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder.
    Our minds and bodies remember stress and hold onto it. Stress can be positive (marriage, birth, moving, weight loss/gain, job change) or negative (illness, job loss, divorce, death of loved one, mental or physical anguish – pushing our limits). I am determined to be that person who “beats” Parkinson’s!

• Mary Evslins

February 3, 2022 at 2:19 pm

As a teenager I had acne. My dermatologist used the newest technology to improve it. He sat me in a small room with an apron over my breasts and reproductive organs and then blasted me and my brain, with xray waves for I think 10 minutes a month for a year or so.

That could be the cause of my recently detected PD.   Mary

• Barry Block

August 22, 2023 at 2:19 pm

A 23&me DNA test provided a simple answer. I carry the LRKK 2  (G2019S) variant. I recommend that every PD patient take this simple saliva test as there are many new drugs being developed which are targeted to specific gene mutations.

• Cam Peterson

August 22, 2023 at 2:21 pm

Traumatic brain injury sustained in car accident at age 32.

No obvious chemical exposure or any family members with PD.

• Joseph (Joe) Saxman

August 22, 2023 at 2:59 pm

As previously noted by another Veteran, I too have Parkinson’s due to Agent Orange exposure while in Viet Nam. I was diagnosed in 2013, 44 years after the last time in Viet Nam. I was reading some of the responses sent in and your response. On one specifically, you recommended having additional testing because of exposure to pesticides. AO is a pesticide, and I would appreciate if you would provide that information in a response here. As many fellow Veterans have this disease, it might be something the VA needs to look into.

Thank you for your time.

Joseph L. Saxman

• Chuck Galloway

August 24, 2023 at 9:12 am

I was Tank systems mechanic in the Army, 1980-92. We used trichloroethylene as a parts cleaner. It is/was one of the same chemicals linked to the Camp Lejune suits. I used to get drenched it that stuff cleaning various parts. Had it in my eyes and mouth too. Had to clean out the parts washer a few times also. It was in the air, evaporating all thru shop. We now know how bad this chemical is. I currently have a suit against the VA, but so far they have only recognized Camp Lejune members. We are hoping to change that!
    I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s at age 56 just turned 60

• John Citron

August 24, 2023 at 1:56 pm

I did some more thinking about this and did some research on the ‘net and found something interesting.

For those of us that worked in the electronics aspect of the high-tech industry, we were exposed to a circuit board cleaner called De-Sol. De-Sol contained Trichloroethylene. (Trichloro). This chemical solvent is used to clean the solder paste and flux off of circuit boards after the boards have been put through the wave-solder machine and also after the touch-up process and repair. Trichloro is a known cause of Parkinson Disease.

As a technician and also as a touch-up solderer and later on as a hardware technician I was exposed to this stuff on a daily basis. The boards would go through the wave-solder machine to solder the components on the board and then went into a deep tank of De-Sol to remove the flux and solder paste if any left on the boards.

In touch-up, we had to apply additional wires or solder on components that couldn’t go through the process and then wash off the remaining flux caused by us soldering and remove extra leads, fix bent pins, or other things that exposed us to more De-Sol. As a technician, I would desolder and solder components on the circuit boards as the parts were replaced due to being faulty and the boards had to be cleaned. Sometimes, field repairs would come in filthy and the boards, and keyboard circuit boards were dipped in the stuff for degreasing and cleaning.

This wasn’t for a few months. These jobs lasted for more than a decade and I was exposed to this for the whole time in the two places where I worked. In the early 1990s, I left that aspect of the high-tech industry and worked in operations and information systems which is as far removed from exposure to solvents and chemicals. Sadly, by this time it was too late and the damage was done.

As I said in one of my posts, my late neighbor also worked in the same industry. He too passed away due to complications from PD, and so did a number of other people I worked with in the industry.

Why only we got it and not everyone? That’s an answer I need to find out.

• John Wick

August 24, 2023 at 2:44 pm

I lost a friend to PD. He had it for  2 years. We both were involved with the same woman, could we have caught it from her ?

I have been , until recently, on Protonix for 40 years. could i have caught it from that?

Defintely staying physically active slows the growth. Hardest thing to do is find a neurologist that understands the disease. It took me 3 doctors, to find one.

Has anyone tried the Cala KlQ wrist band???

• Gloria

August 24, 2023 at 2:44 pm

two words – Camp Lejeune. My husband went to Lejeune High School in the late 1960s. We’re now part of the litigation.

• Mark

August 24, 2023 at 2:50 pm

I believe my Parkinson’s comes from two things. The first is when I lived in southern Maryland near Lexington Park. The government used to spray DDT real heavy, and I used to go outside, so I could smell it. The other was a violent straight to my head in about 2004. I was diagnosed in 2013 and I handled it pretty well with exercise.

• Kate

August 24, 2023 at 3:53 pm

Yes I absolutely do. First let me say that my father lived until the ae of 95 and he was never ill that i can remembe. My mother died at age 99 and she had a bit of dementia but was otherwise healthy. I am the eldest of four the others are boys and none of them have had any serious illness.

I was tested for the Parknsons gene and i do not have it.

I believe that i got PD from living in California on a horse ranch  for 15 years. I had a small ranch only 20 acres but it was surrounded by several huge ranches. From 1979 until the spring of 1994 they sprayed insecticedes and weed killer from air planes every two weeks. There was no way to escape it. i started to show some signs of PD in 2005 and was finally diagnosed in 2018.

• Kate

August 24, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Yes I absolutely do. Fist let me say that my father lived until the age of 95 and he was never ill that i can remembe. My mother died at age 99 and she had a bit of dementia but was otherwise healthy. I am the eldest of four the others are boys and none of them have had any serious illness.

I was tested for the Parknsons gene and i do not have it.

I believe that i got PD from living in California on a horse ranch  for 15 years. I had a small ranch only 20 acres but it was surrounded by several huge ranches. From 1979 until the spring of 1994 they sprayed insecticedes and weed killer from air planes every two weeks. There was no way to escape it. i started to show some signs of PD in 2005 and was finally diagnosed in 2018.

• Vickie Paul

August 24, 2023 at 4:00 pm

I  Think it will turn out to be a complex interaction involving the gut, diet, genetic predisposition, and exposure to some toxins.  We will have to modify our approach to research, which currently is driven by a desire to make money. Probably we have already shut down promising approaches because there was no way to monetize the process.

• deadinbed

August 25, 2023 at 9:39 am

YES, Epstein Barr virus according to my families illnesses and research.

• Susan

August 24, 2023 at 4:46 pm

I think Parkinson’s disease is iatrogenically transmissible. If you are interested, my hypothesis (with evidence and references) has been posted at: https://blog.listentoyourgut.com/do-colonoscopies-contribute-to-parkinsons/

• Robert Johnson

August 24, 2023 at 4:47 pm

About 15 years ago I had encephalitis. Was in the hospital for 13 days in a coma. A couple of years later I got a hard blow to my head.

• Tommy Williams

August 24, 2023 at 4:48 pm

Exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam, 1970.

• Elizabeth Frank

August 24, 2023 at 10:48 pm

No family history. No exposure to toxic chemicals. No head injuries. I think there’s a connection to gut issues which I’ve had since high school.

Page 4 of 4