Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you have a medical alert device?

• Do you have a medical alert device?

Posted by ally on September 21, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Do you have a medical alert device? Do you have questions about which device is the right one for you? Listen to this flash briefing of a column by Lori DePorter all about the different medical alert devices that are available to help people with Parkinson’s disease.

Which type of device are you most interested in and why? Do you have any particular makes or models to recommend? If you have a device already, how did you select it and have you ever had to use it in an emergency?

marlyne-wilder replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • linda-johnson

September 24, 2021 at 9:25 am

We have been using Medical Guardian for two years.  When the button is pushed, a real person answers.  This person speaks to us by name and knows where we are located.  If I have to run a brief errand or go out of earshot (to the garden or mowing the lawn) I give him the pendant.  Sometimes I get a call that he has gotten his wheelchair into a corner or needs help rolling over in bed.  These may be minor incidents, but having me return to perform these tasks means he won’t have to continue being frustrated.  If you habitually lock your doors, the service comes with a lockbox into which you can put a key to be retrieved by entering a code you have supplied. We have just renewed for another year.

• beth-t-browne

September 28, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Yes, I have an Iwatch series 6. It has an alert that notifies the names you put in if you fall. It is a lot cheaper then the ones you wear around you neck in the long run. The Iwatch also checks your BP. I have high blood pressure. Had it for years. Appear I inherited it. My father had heart problems and died from it. My grandfather had a stroke. Now with a leaky heart valve I get an echocardiogram every 6 months. I may need surgery at some point.

• marlyne-wilder

October 20, 2021 at 1:39 pm

I didn’t think I had a medical device but see from above comment that I can use my latest Apple Watch.  I put my watch on first thing after showering and wear it all day.
    However, I have fallen 3 times and my watch has not responded.  Is there an activation I need to set up?