• Joan

November 17, 2020 at 2:36 pm

My husband uses walking sticks and it has been very helpful with his balance, stride and coordination. He was diagnosed last year. He has not started taking medications yet.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 17, 2020 at 4:29 pm

I have used both a cane and hiking sticks . . . they may not be 100%, but they have helped me to keep my balance and prevent a fall.

• Bonnie

November 17, 2020 at 4:39 pm

My husband suffers from both freezing and festination.  He uses a rollator walker, but it gets away from him or he forgets to use it.  We are thinking of using the u-step walker specifically used by Parkinson’s patients.  Has anyone used this and if so, has it been helpful?

• Gary S

November 18, 2020 at 7:38 am

I have found that placing my attention on pushing off on the rear foot makes walking easier, with less freezing.

• Patty Stratton

November 19, 2020 at 5:50 pm

My husband was diagnosed in 2000.  Initially he used nothing, but later on used a cane for many years.  When that was not sufficient (due to freezing, and lack of balance) he used a rollator or standard walker you can buy at a medical supply store or even online.  As time goes on he has needed more support, yet didn’t want to rely on an electric scooter (which we have and use when we go somewhere where it might be a long walk and he wouldn’t have the stamina.)  Today we received the U-Step 2 walker that is much more sturdy, needs to have brakes disengaged by squeezing them to move forward and then will stop immediately when you let go.  This is key when you are battling continual freezing episodes in order to prevent a fall.  The U-Step 2 also has an optional laser to cue foot placement as well as an optional metronome.  Medicare will pay a portion of the cost (although you must pay in full and will then be reimbursed) and the optional laser/metronome are to be paid by you.  We were referred for the walker after a session of P/T and with Dr. signature.  I wish good luck to all!

• Jacque Walston

November 19, 2020 at 10:48 pm

When I find that dizziness and instability are sometimes a problem I go from one piece of furniture to the next when in the house (which is most of the time these days). but find a cane helpful when I am out or clinging to a shopping cart. I am thinking about changing to a walking stick because of posture issues. I don’t have “freezing” issues.

• Shirley Cypher

November 20, 2020 at 6:33 pm

My husband has an upright walker which is just great.  He uses it when he feels unstable.  He is 87.  It easily folds up to put in the back of our Outback. Very light weight. There are a number of brands on Amazon.  With Parkinson’s he still has the forward leaning posture but not like a regular walker he can watch where he is going and stop and sit down on it if he is tired.  We were walking about a 3rd of a mile with it about every other day until he came down with sepsis due to dysphasia that kind of knocked him back some but now getting his stamina back.  Most of the upright walkers are of the same design basically that you see on TV.  We paid about $245 for his in 2019.  As an aside I paid $80 for a standard walker in Medford Oregon when I broke my thigh bone 500 miles from home.  The difference between upright walkers and standard walkers is huge.  Still have the standard walker but Joe won’t use it.  Understand medicare pays about 50% with a doctors recommendation.  But I didn’t think about that at the time.

• Clive

November 21, 2020 at 5:04 pm

I use two Nordic walking poles and I find them very useful. My shoulders are fairly strong. I have always got out of a seat with arm rests by lifting my body up using my arms. It was a silly habit that has suddenly of become of use. I can propel myself along far better with the poles and they help in going uphill. I do not find myself stooping using the poles. I live at the edge of town and can walk in the Welsh countryside for a couple of miles. Breathlessness is a far worse restraint. I am lost without the poles and can wholeheartedly recommend them.

• Brenda

November 24, 2020 at 8:12 pm

For me the bigger question is why would he be off of his drugs?  It’s best to be consistent with medication.  If he isn’t being consistent, that could be the problem.

• Maya Larson

August 16, 2022 at 8:47 am

I used Medline Standard Folding Walker the 8-inch-wide wheels roll smoothly over all kinds of surfaces and do not hang up at bumps in paving. There are many options on amazon but this one is a big improvement over my previous walker.

It is very stable, sturdy, and easy to assemble. It already comes mostly assembled. You only have to place handles into slots. then attach them with a screw, rubber washer, and knob to the height you want. You may need pliers for tightening. Brake cables are attached.