Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments Do you do anything to “retrain” your brain?

• kevinon

March 21, 2023 at 3:46 pm

I do A LOT  of crossword puzzles.  Finding answers is brain work.

• gregg-i-daniels

March 22, 2023 at 6:54 am

Taking online classes from MIT.  There is a large selection of subjects for undergraduate and graduate level classes.  Some classes are coordinated through edx and MITx.  These classes are graded and include lectures and quizzes.  They are not easy for the most part and require some critical thinking. Some of the classes can also have implications for PD as well.  I have taken a variety including Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology.  Prerequisites are listed in the syllabus for each class.  Also, have taken various math, physics and engineering classes.  Highly recommend to anyone wanting a learning challenge.  Some graded classes require a nominal fee to receive a certificate or you can audit the class for free.  Check out MIT OpenCourseWare.

I also work on balance and stability.  I would add that activities requiring balance such as bicycling are brain exercise as well as physical exercise, especially mountain biking as it also requires decision making due to terrain changes.

• mary-beth-skylis

March 22, 2023 at 10:17 am

Gregg, it sounds like you’re a pretty driven individual. I, personally, love learning, too — especially when it’s about a topic that impacts my life. Do you think that what you’ve learned so far has helped you understand Parkinson’s better?

• ally

March 23, 2023 at 3:52 pm

I have an alarm set on my phone to remind me to play Wordle and Spelling Bee (two free games from The New York Times) every day. Is anyone else addicted to these fun little word puzzles?

• krukar

March 25, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Mary Beth,

When I rise in the morning I do some weights, boxing and then usually my wife and I walk. Then  I have other things, PT and Accupuncture weekly and a couple of on line yoga classes with Norton Neuroscience Institute. I stick with the same stuff weekly.

It helps my  Neuroplasticity for brain rewiring. It takes work and it is easy to become discouraged. You folks are the best for my thinking. I am a Dr.C  fan! Blessings, Mike

• mary-beth-skylis

March 28, 2023 at 2:28 pm

Mike, Thank you for the kind words. I’m a fan of Dr. C, myself.

I’ve always heard that moving in unique ways helps with neuroplasticity. Sometimes I challenge myself to walk backwards for this reason. Which activity would you say is your favorite?

• charles-h-levin

March 26, 2023 at 9:36 am

I play Wordle every day (occasionally Spelling Bee), read a lot (newspapers, books, magazines) and am a passionate amateur fine art photographer. The latter involves several software applications (Photoshop, Lightroom and others) that are challenging to learn and apply to images.

Besides that, I’ve always been an exercise person and more so now: cardio on a stationary bike four days a week; weights and straps, three days a week; yoga and meditation daily; and soon adding pickleball.

• mary-beth-skylis

March 28, 2023 at 2:27 pm

Hi Charles,

Thank you for sharing. I’ve always wanted to learn the craft of photo editing. Is it difficult to navigate?

• smitty7

March 28, 2023 at 5:34 pm

You tube Parkinson’s exercises, and webinars,

• josephine

March 28, 2023 at 6:37 pm

Wordle and Spelling Bee are fun because they’re much much quicker than doing crossword puzzles, but u still get a brain workout. If u don’t like crossword puzzles, try Wordle; I predict u will love it.

• ally

March 30, 2023 at 8:21 pm

Couldn’t agree more! I am thinking of buying some cheap crossword puzzle books from the Dollar Store soon. A friend of mine was off work recently for a few weeks due to some non-PD neurological issues and she couldn’t watch TV or use her phone, so she blew through a ton of the crossword books and said it was a lot of fun and helped to keep her mind sharp.

• krukar

March 29, 2023 at 8:37 am

Mary Beth,

We like to walk (without sticks since Neuralli), also ‘boxing sometimes with my cat’ other times not. I think it helps me move in bed.

Thanks for your question.

Mike

• edward-fritz

April 4, 2023 at 9:42 pm

Play a “brain game” called LinkSame on my iPad every day. Also try to spend a significant amount of time playing piano every day – don’t know of any better way to rewire the brain then playing music. Especially piano with every finger, eyes, ears, memory, etc. all being challenged.