• Sussan Thomas

November 20, 2023 at 8:48 am

I should try one of those books. Can’t say that I can recommend something.

• Lori DePorter

December 29, 2023 at 9:15 pm

Any book by MJFox is recommended by me:)

• Charles H Levin

January 2, 2024 at 2:14 pm

I haven’t read either of those titles … But I will recommend Brain Storms by Jon Palfreman, which I read a few years ago … and I’m now reading Ending Parkinson’s: A Prescription for Action by Ray Dorsey, Todd Scherer, Michael Okun and Bastiaan Bloem, which so far is excellent …

• Ally

January 30, 2024 at 8:15 pm

Thank you for these suggestions!

• Phil Gattis

January 3, 2024 at 10:27 am

I was saddened by the way abortion & stem cell experimentation was embraced in the book Both Sides Now.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 3, 2024 at 10:56 am

I recently learned that some programs extract stem cells from the placenta after a mother gives birth. I know not every program works that way, but do you think you would be more inclined to embrace it if you knew how the cells were sourced?

• Charles H Levin

January 4, 2024 at 2:16 pm

Who is the author? Is this a book about PD?

• Phil Gattis

January 5, 2024 at 10:02 am

Both Sides of Now by Alice Lazzarini [in the original post

• Phil Gattis

January 5, 2024 at 10:06 am

To Mary Beth’s question: yes, that would change the picture quite a bit, but I would still hesitate.

• Rick Tabakin

January 4, 2024 at 8:53 am

Also look at “Parkinson’s Disease for Dummies”. It’s easy to read and understand.

• Charles H Levin

January 4, 2024 at 2:15 pm

Written by my doc … Michele Tagliati … at Cedars Sinai in LA … I have yet to read it, but it’s on my list

• JackieHC

January 4, 2024 at 2:56 pm

I have been told that both of my books, although written some time ago, have been very helpful to many people. In fact, the Minnesota chapter of the American Parkinson’s Disease Association used to give a copy of my 1st book, <b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>The First Year—Parkinson’s Disease: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed, (2005) to every newly diagnosed person who contacted them. The chapter on medications is outdated but I believe that the rest of it holds up well. Likewise, my 2nd book, Life With A Battery-Operated Brain: A Patient’s Guide to Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery for Parkinson’s Disease (2009) has gotten good feedback for its list of questions to ask potential surgeons, and for its thorough list of things to consider before making the decision to undergo DBS.

• Ally

January 5, 2024 at 6:47 am

Thank you for sharing, Jackie, and congratulations on having two books published! I’m sure many people have benefitted from your work. Are you continuing to write?

• John Citron

January 4, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Happy New Year, Mary Beth!

Here’s another book for you.

Parkinsons Creative Collective

The NeuroWriters’ Guide to the Peripatetic Pursuit of Parkinson Disease, an anthology of experiences of life with PD.

I was part of the book writing group assisting with technical things and wrote an article and contributed some pictures.

• MJoan

January 29, 2024 at 12:15 pm

My husband, who has PD, and I have both read Brain Storms by Jon Palfreman which we found very informative. Of course, it’s now somewhat outdated, but still lots of good information, especially for the recently diagnosed. I was able to get it from the library.

• Ally

February 13, 2024 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for the recommendation!

• Sherman Paskett

January 30, 2024 at 7:41 pm

Thank you, Jackie, for your insightful book, The First Years…. It was one of a dozen books I read when first diagnosed 13 years ago and the only one I point new PDers to for information. I wish there were a comparable book for the middle years and especially the final years.