Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Back pain or neck pain: Anyone else suffers from this?

• Marlyne Wilder

October 24, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Have shoulder tightness and lower back pain. I was getting chiropractic services from The Joint. No appointment needed was convenient but there was no deep muscle release prior to the adjustment.  I just returned home from a vacation and finding a chiropractor is on my to do list. I would also like to find a chiropractor who participates with my medical insurance.  I had to pay cash at The Joint.

• Rick Tabakin

October 29, 2021 at 4:09 pm

I have back and neck pain. Went to see an orthopedist and had x-rays. Arthritis and spine related issues identified. I thought this was more age related than due to Parkinson’s. PD makes my body stiff and inflexible.

• Christine

October 28, 2021 at 7:00 am

Hello! Extreme neck and shoulder pain was my first indicator of Parkinson’s disease. It started in 2015, and a few months later I was diagnosed. I had no relief, even though I regularly went to physio and massage therapy. Then, after a couple of years, my physiotherapist suggested that Botox in my neck and shoulders might give me some relief, and it did! It would last about 3-4 months.
    Now that I have had DBS surgery about 2 months ago, the pain is entirely gone. I just hope it stays away.

• Alan M

October 28, 2021 at 2:11 pm

I’m with Marlyne… shoulder tightness and neck pain in the mornings and at night before bed.  I assumed it is constant but during the day I’m busy and maybe notice it less.  I can address it through Thai massage… and used a Chiro for a while but they are too expensive long-term.  I’m not brave enough to try Botox.

This stiffness seems to bring n mini-migraines (severe headaches) at times.  Especially if I notice it under my right Scapula.

• Charlie

October 29, 2021 at 2:40 pm

I was diagnosed two years ago with PD. Started with Scapula pain in right shoulder. Also neck, upper /lower back effected. Doing Massage and Chiropractic to help. Pain at time does effect my sleep. Damp weather seems to also make it worse.

• Mary Beth Skylis

November 29, 2021 at 7:46 am

My dad has neck pain and Parkinson’s. He has always thought the neck pain was related to a football injury. But maybe not!

• JAMES

December 6, 2021 at 8:37 am

My muscle pain arm pain and also neckpain ! Absolutely related my PD. Its form of occuring symptom of some type  of PD.

It reliefs with PD treatments.

• cass

December 7, 2021 at 9:20 am

I’ve been prone to back muscle spasms all my adult life.  Several weeks ago suffered a severe pull in my lower back, the side that is weak w Parkinsons.  Cause: likely bending/sitting in ways during gardening that I knew not to do. It is still quite weak and stiff.  GP not much help.  Not sure that I trust the physical therapists.  Ive never seen a chiropractor but have an appt next week – my friend says he’s fantastic.  I wonder if Parkinson’s contributed to the severity or vulnerability.

• Alan M

December 8, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Yeah Cass — I’ve just started getting lower back spasms recently. It’s like a sharp sciatica pain. Sitting is just possible laying is excruciating, and when rolling over in bed — forget about it as they say in Jersey. I wonder too if PD makes these spasms worse as well.

• Bill Frohberg

December 9, 2021 at 2:25 pm

My wife went to our Chiropractor for a month about everyother day. Now she just goes a couple times a month for a tune up. She’s been doing well and he helped alleviate the lower back pain.

• CJ

August 29, 2023 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for the information provided I am dealing with Lower back pain and have also had a spinal fusion which was done 2 years ago; this was checked out with some small signs of deterioration so the final decision is that it was PD. I have tried some physio and massage therapy with not much relief so….

• Kenneth

August 30, 2023 at 8:45 am

I’m glad to hear you found relief through chiropractic care! Back and neck pain can be tough. For those looking to complement such treatments, incorporating back workouts through calisthenics might help build strength and prevent future discomfort(here for more info). Remember, a skilled chiropractor combined with the right exercises can contribute to long-term wellness. Always consult professionals for tailored advice