• At-home gym essentials

Posted by ally on August 12, 2021 at 9:56 pm

I’m not sure about where you live, but in Ontario, a fourth wave of COVID is looming on the horizon, and I’m nervous the government will shut down gyms again. Thankfully, this time, I’m prepared. My partner and I invested in a bunch of at-home gym equipment last fall/winter. We have a bench, adjustable weights, yoga mats, a kettle bell, a jump rope and some stretchy bands. (We also have a foam roller that sadly spends most of its time collecting dust.)

Do you have a home gym? What do you consider essential for your home gym to be functional, equipment-wise? Do you have any advice for purchasing equipment that is affordable and doesn’t take up too much space?

Cap1952 replied 2 weeks, 1 day ago 15 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • heidi

August 12, 2021 at 11:04 pm

I’ve collected a lot of minor equipment over the past year and a half.  Except for the walking poles, most of the items were fairly inexpensive and purchased over time.  I already had hand weights in several sizes plus a big exercise ball,  I added resistance bands and tubing,  balls for the Power for Parkinson’s Youtube classes, Urban Walking Poles, boxing gloves for Rock Steady Boxing classes, a balance foam dome, jump rope, pool noodle (cut in half, used for Rock Steady Boxing), yoga mat, exercise mat, and an 8 lb medicine ball.

• ally

August 31, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Sounds like you have a lot of great equipment on hand, Heidi. Do you think you’ll ever return to a conventional gym?

• sandy-harnagel

August 13, 2021 at 10:00 am

I have a stationary bicycle and an elliptical, w2hich are great machines. We have a mounted TV to watch. NOW comes the news: making yourself exercise. We do every once in a while.We go to a exercise — EOS. If you haven’t tried it __DO.

• cass

December 7, 2021 at 9:31 am

Bought a good stationary bike Schwinn IC4 which sadly is on sale now, $200 less than what I paid.  The whole family is using it and the footprint isn’t bad.  Still feels like a good purchase.  I haven’t been to the gym since March 2020 🙁

• ally

August 31, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Hi Cass, have you decided to return to the gym since you wrote this reply? Do you prefer exercising at home?

• krukar

August 31, 2022 at 5:20 pm

Hi Ally,

Fraya and I use our  Ipads with the different work-out programs. I use the Blessings Health Care website they have several LSVT programs that are specific for Parkinson’s. Fraya does a program called Grow Young almost daily. We  purchased an exercise bike which I try and use often. We also have several hand weights which are useful. Our cats love it on our decks. It is so important to just keep moving. Good question. Blessings, Mike

• dave-green

September 1, 2022 at 6:27 pm

I have a garage gym–a product of the pandemic. We have some flexible free weights, lots of bands, a stationary bike stand for our road bikes, and a rowing machine. The last is my favorite, but I’ve had a rowing machine for decades. It is a great exercise for the whole body.

• marknicholson

September 9, 2022 at 2:30 am

I dont think it matters what you have or where it is. I have no equipment.

What matters is that we keep fit: I walk the dogs, swim 2km daily,box, run, cycle. Combine that with Tai Chi and yoga where possible. I hope this slows degeneration.

Mark in Kenya

• Jailorsurf

January 22, 2024 at 2:50 pm

I have some of the things others have listed. What I have and use that hasn’t been mentioned is a vibration platform that I picked up on Amazon. I stand on it while I do exercises including weights, stretching cords, squats, and boxing movements with resistance cords anchored to a doorframe behind me. The vibration platform has various speeds that help me not get used to the same shake rate. It’s nice if you don’t feel like doing anything, as once you get on it for a few minutes it gets the blood moving and then you usually keep going with the workout

• ally

February 20, 2024 at 1:25 pm

That’s really cool, Jailorsurf. How did you find out about this device? Was it recommended to you by a doctor or PT?

• Jailorsurf

February 20, 2024 at 9:10 pm

Hi ally,

That is a tough question as I can’t actually recall the source. Then around the same time I heard about the yet to materialize “magic vibrating gloves” devised by Dr. Peter Tass at Stanford. The story told was that sometime way in the past a French neurologist who was famous enough that folks would travel great distances in bumpy jostling conveyances of the era, noticed something peculiar. Many of his patients claimed that after the long arduous trip, they actually felt better. Apparently the doc put two and two together and postulated that rigorous vibrations helped Parkinson’s patients.

Did to the fact that Dr Tass’s magic gloves are presently unobtainium, I figured that maybe this vibration plate that I had heard about in a different circle, could be a help. Apparently there are certified therapists who give training courses to their devotees. For less than $250 I decided to take a chance and pick up a mid level model on Amazon and I have been using it daily ever since.

I hope this info helps!

JL

• Anne Boggs

February 27, 2024 at 3:33 pm

Would you post the weblink of the vibration platform you bought on Amazon?

Also, have you heard of the Ready Steady gloves for Parkinson sold in Metaire, LA

https://www.readi-steadi.com/

https://www.theneuromedicalcenter.com/readi-steadi-glove/#:~:text=The%20Readi%2DSteadi%C2%AE%20Anti,Parkinson's%20Disease

• DaveM

March 3, 2024 at 7:16 pm

I tried the Readi-Steady “glove” and for me it was a bust. From my perspective it was not ready for prime time. The “glove” was composed of several pieces that were very hard to manipulate; certainly not well designed for Parkinson’s patients. It was very uncomfortable, too. I spent a long time on a Zoom call with the 2 principles of the company trying to get the thing to work OK, but felt worse after the call. It’s not often I feel bad for my insurance company but it cost them $1200 for nothing. I ginned up my own simple and cheap contraption that worked better for tremors: Put on a wrist splint, then wrap it with a velcro wrist weight (I use 1 lb).

• DaveM

March 3, 2024 at 7:22 pm

I forgot to add that I brought the “glove” to my Occupational Therapist and she was aghast at the thing.

• kevinon

January 23, 2024 at 2:47 pm

I have a treadmill and pull-up bar.

• DaveM

February 20, 2024 at 7:17 pm

We have an exercise bike, a rowing machine, and an elliptical. I just use the bike and have for many decades. I like being able to exercise in my house so I don’t have to worry about the weather or whether it’s light or dark outside. Also, the bike is a Schwinn Airdyne where the handlebars are connected to the fan flywheel, so they move back and forth with resistance contributing to the exercise. So I believe it is a great upper and lower body exercise for Parkinson’s.

I used to also use the rower, but once I had a pacemaker put in my cardiology team nixed my using it – they were concerned the repetitive arm movement would, over time, loosen the pacemaker leads.

• bruce-closser

February 20, 2024 at 8:07 pm

I have a squat rack, an adjustable bench and a pretty complete set of barbells and dumbbells along with a few kettle bells. I also have a trainer for my road bike which I prefer to an exercise bike. With the squat rack I can safely do lifts where the weights are above my body, such as squats and bench press.

• Jailorsurf

February 20, 2024 at 9:22 pm

I like what you’ve done with the place. Wish I had space for all that stuff!

• Ric

February 23, 2024 at 11:28 am

I live near a Parkinsons center of excellence in Lake Forest, il. They have many classes which help me get incentive .

• ally

March 1, 2024 at 5:02 am

That’s so great, Ric. What kinds of classes do you enjoy doing?

• kenneth

February 27, 2024 at 8:23 am

Hey Ally! Your at-home gym setup sounds fantastic and well-prepared for any potential gym closures. In addition to what you already have, I’d recommend adding resistance bands of varying strengths for a versatile workout. They’re affordable, space-saving, and great for targeting different muscle groups. Also, consider a stability ball for core workouts and balance training. Happy exercising! Check out exercises to last longer in bed naturally for holistic wellness.

• ally

March 1, 2024 at 5:00 am

Thanks, Kenneth, and you’re absolutely right about resistance bands. I actually have a set from brand Bodylastics. I got them over a decade ago and they were so handy when gyms were shut down, and I still find them really practical, especially when I travel or need to work out at home.

• kevinon

March 5, 2024 at 2:56 pm

I have a treadmill and a chin-up bar. The treadmill gets a lot of use. As of yet, I still can’t do one chin-up. But I’m hopeful. 🙂

• ally

March 8, 2024 at 4:41 am

A chin up is an excellent goal to work towards! I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress! 🙂

• Cap1952

March 12, 2024 at 3:03 pm

I got a recumbent elliptical about three months ago. I I use it for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. I’ve seen a real improvement in the strength of my thigh and glutes. I also really like the arm movement. II’m a 71-year-old woman and I’m trying to get my maximum heart rate which is 104. I’m now at about 90. I also do the exercises I learned in the BIG program every day as well as other exercises I learned in PT-bridges, sit to stand, heal toe raises, and all the others. I use a small ball and a band I do the exercises for the abductors. As the. weather has improved i’ve been going outside using my walker. I walk in the hallways without my walker. if you live in a metropolitan area, I would recommend finding out if there is a dance for Parkinson’s program you. Dance for PD is a free dance class just for people with Parkinson’s. People who are walking well as well as people and walkers or wheelchairs all participate. It’s a great workout and a lot of fun. Just Google Dance for PD to find a class near youl, I love having exercise aids, and equipment at home. I also love mixing it up. and getting out to see people.I really don’t like to exercise, but I know it’s critical to my well-being.So I look for variety so I won’t get bored and I’ll stay motivated. What is the time the strategy works at least for me but of course sometimes it just doesn’t and sloth wins out.