Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Are you able to sleep through the night?

• Janusz Opolski

May 26, 2022 at 11:18 am

Problem with sleeping is typical  for PD “members club”. Different symptoms. Melatonin – a few grams? It is good.No answer. Try Mirtazapinum .Starting with 15 mg a 2 hours before normal time to bed up to 30 mg  7-10 days. Some patiens feel better. Before – consult with your personnal doctor,

Janusz

• RT

August 2, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Hi there! When my husband was diagnosed with PD 2 years ago, we never thought to mention the sleep disturbances that had been popping up sporadically for the few years before that. Now we know that sleep disturbances are sometimes one of the first clues that PD is developing. Since the problems only occurred once every few weeks, we just ignored it. However, once the disturbances started occurring more frequently (and loudly- sleep talking), we reached out to the doctor. Right now taking 3 mg. melatonin does the trick most nights. On nights where it doesn’t help, it reduces the loudness and movement associated with this challenge. If it gets worse, we will try increasing the dose of melatonin before attempting klonopin- the drug recommended by our doctor.

Good luck!

• Douglas Savchenko

August 2, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Nice to read these because they help me realize – I’m not as weird as I thought.  Sorry to put it this way but it’s comforting to know “there are others in the same row boat as myself”.  My biggest issue with sleeping is on/off pattern.  I started keeping logs and there is no definable pattern, but I will go weeks where I wake up at say 2 am and can’t get back to sleep until say 5 or 6 – nothing helps.  Then all of a sudden I go to bed at say 9 and sleep all the night even into the morning say 7 or 8.  My wife will even comment “are you ok …you are sure sleeping a lot”.  Along with the long sleep nights, I get the most vivid – almost real life dreams that stay with me well after I wake up.  This sleep pattern started about a year before my diagnosis and it seems I have tried every drug mentioned in earlier posts.

• Barbara Ford

August 3, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Douglas, that is an interesting sleep pattern. I have almost exactly the same one.  I can usually fall asleep at a normal bedtime.  At about 2:00 l wake up and stay awake until about 5, when I fall asleep again.  Usually the 8:00 medication alarm will wake me.  I take my pills and go back to sleep, until about 10:45am.  Hard to believe, but I am fairly rested on this schedule .

Just as you have a full night sleep occasionally, so do I.

Active dreams are still very much a part of my nighttime sleep, but are no longer violent since my neurologist prescribed Trazodone.

• Marlene Donnelly

August 2, 2022 at 4:55 pm

I know the majority of people with seem to have difficult sleeping, but that is not my experience.  I was diagnosed over 11  years ago, and I sleep through for 8 – 9 hours of solid sleep almost every night.  I am a night owl, so I rarely go to bed before 12:30, and if I’m reading a good book, I may be up until 2:00, but then I will sleep until 10:00.   I feel extremely fortunate that this works for me, and I have no doubt that my past success in falling asleep very quickly and sleeping so well is part of the reason that I continue to do so.  I am very relaxed when my head hits the pillow.

• Sherman Paskett

September 22, 2022 at 10:13 pm

If you are on C/L, look for a correlation between off time and waking. I found that 6 hours after my last dose (usually between 6 and 8 PM) I would wake up. That was enough to get my neuro to add a small dose right before bed. Now I get 6 hours uninterrupted, and a nap after my afternoon dose covers the deficit.

• Tim Brindley

August 2, 2022 at 6:38 pm

NO !!!

I rarely sleep over 2.5 hrs straight a night before the pain wakes me up.

Usually I drink a cup of hot tea and I go back and lay down and get between 1.5 and 2 hrs before I wake back up.

This is the normal sleep I get each night since 2016 when PD reared it’s ugly head.

I have A-Typical PD, it’s when your feet don’t move and they freeze up and over I go, so far I have broken anything but a cup

Lucky that I don’t have any tremors

Its very debilitating

• Tim Brindley

August 2, 2022 at 6:40 pm

NO !!!

I rarely sleep over 2.5 hrs straight a night before the pain wakes me up.

Usually I drink a cup of hot tea and I go back and lay down and get between 1.5 and 2 hrs before I wake back up.

This is the normal sleep I get each night since 2016 when PD reared it’s ugly head.

I have A-Typical PD, it’s when your feet don’t move and they freeze up and over I go, so far I have broken anything but a cup

Its very debilitating

Im thankful my wife takes excellent care of me

• Phil Gattis

August 3, 2022 at 7:50 am

at bedtime, I take 10mg Melatonin [gives an initial ‘bang!’ then a slower timed release]

and in addition, a cup of valerian tea.

I brew an additional cup to take cold if/when I awake in the night to help me get back to sleep.

This is almost a failsafe regimen for me.

• Phil Gattis

August 17, 2022 at 8:39 am

Valerian tea, people!  I mean it!

• Sherman Paskett

September 22, 2022 at 10:15 pm

Oops – replied to the wrong post above. Here we go again:

If you are on C/L, look for a correlation between off time and waking. I found that 6 hours after my last dose (usually between 6 and 8 PM) I would wake up. That was enough to get my neuro to add a small dose right before bed. Now I get 6 hours uninterrupted, and a nap after my afternoon dose covers the deficit.

• Judy Cimala

August 3, 2022 at 10:15 am

My husband started having dreams that he acted out 10 or more years ago. He did a sleep study and was diagnosed with REM sleep disorder. The doctor put him on Klonopin 1mg  before bedtime. He has been on it all theses years. He has done so well on this. Sleeps well. The klonopin doesn’t make him feel drowsy in the morning. He is up and ready to go. He was diagnosed with PD October 2021 but we know he has had symptoms for several years.

• Rick Tabakin

August 11, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Sleeping issues is one of the common symptoms of PD

• Sherman Paskett

September 22, 2022 at 10:01 pm

RBD (REM sleep behavior disorder) is the pits. When I grabbed my bedside lamp to beat off a monster I had to do something, so I started taking 10mg of melatonin and that controls the RBD quite well. It’s not perfect, but I am enjoying 90% RBD-free nights and no more violenct.

Getting up multiple times a night to pee was another problem. I chart my daily symptoms, so I always have a pretty good idea when the meds are off. I found that 6 hours after my last C/L for the day I would get up to pee, then every half to one hour after that. C/L is not supposed to work that way, but thanks to my charts my neuro added a dose of C/L right before bed. Now I generally get 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. A nap in the afternoon makes up the deficit.

My message is that if you struggle with a symptom, the traditional fix may not be right for you.

• Marie

September 27, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Well, this is more anecdotal as of June, than Parkinson’s related which is horrible. My husband takes lexapro (generic) for his night terrors. If he takes too late or falls asleep too soon well,  he may take out his whole sideboard of meds, drinks, remotes, fling a remote, his pillows that he uses to prop up his arms and slides down his chair. Or I will find him having a “colorful” conversation, or yelling in that same colorful way at someone. We usually have a good laugh at what he has dreamed about.

Anyhow, we rescued a beagle in June  who was advertised a 2 1/2 and as chill as his namesake Marley, as in Bob Marley. Great with other dogs. Housebroken. None of it true. He turned out to be just over one, not chill at all, not at all good with other dogs.  Semi housebroken. Well he doesn’t sleep very well. And now it’s worse since I had a tooth pulled two weeks ago. My son and husband, took all duties that I do for two day, meaning they stayed with him all night and screwed up bed time. So he has to have someone with him ALL the time.  So no one gets any kind of regular sleep around here!! I told the dog the other day he is like the late in life child that was unexpected, and he is exhausting me!! He just stared back at me.. I said it’s a good thing you are cute..

Page 2 of 2