Tagged: 

• Ally

March 3, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Garrett, do you worry that the apathy has a negative impact on your ability to do your job or work with your students? Has anyone at your work place noticed the change?

• James Harvey

March 4, 2020 at 10:22 am

My apathy was made worse by insomnia.  Recently I started a CBT-I program (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy -Insomnia) for insomnia that seems to be working.  It has given me a sense of control over the insomnia and about 4 extra hours of free time each day.

• Mary Beth Skylis

March 4, 2020 at 5:58 pm

James, I’m glad to hear you’re exploring CBT. I’ve been seeing a CBT therapist for about two years, myself. And it often feels like a long process. But it works. How do you feel about it so far?

• Garrett McAuliffe

March 5, 2020 at 1:59 pm

To respond to the question about apathy. I feel the app at eight but I don’t know if my colleagues or students do. But I do know that I’m not present very often but I don’t have to be in my office or in around the halls. I have to monitor my time and pace myself. I suspect they definitely know there is a with drawl on my part compare to how i used to work.

I’m glad CBT is working for some of you for a variety of reasons. I may have mentioned that my counselor practices acceptance and commitment therapy, which is mindfulness-based. So instead of countering negative thoughts you just stay in the present and dismiss the thoughts as just your mind speaking about the past or future  while your body is in the present.It also requires a lot of discipline and is not perfect.When I remember to be mindful and present it gets me out of those illuminations that are easy when you have Parkinson’s.

• Marlene Donnelly

March 6, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Having been diagnosed over nine years ago, I find that apathy is not connected with depression (on Venlafaxine and doing well), poor sleep (I’m very lucky to sleep very well!), or fatigue (often tired even though I sleep well).  It comes and goes for me, though usually it is hard to get up any morning.  I find that the best medicine for me is to get out of the house.  I try to schedule my days so that I have yoga, t’ai chi, and exercise classes to go to on different days.  Once I get out and have a good time (I always have a good time, even though I didn’t want to go in the first place) then energy and joy tend to be restored and that pushes the apathy away.  Sometimes the holidays are hard for me because of apathy, so I have learned to compromise – I don’t do as much as I used to, but I do the things that I enjoy the most.  Sometimes, though not often, apathy wins – usually if I have something else (a cold maybe) bothering me.  In that case I give in to it and declare to my family that I am “on vacation.”  then I read, watch TV, or nap all day.  Because this is a “vacation,” I work at keeping my spirits up, and as soon as my body starts to feel better, I can get back in gear.  I am very fortunate in having a husband who seems to understand all of this and is there for whatever I might need.  In return I try to keep from being grumpy, since that is about the only thing that bothers him.

• Mary Beth Skylis

March 9, 2020 at 10:03 am

Marlene,

I think you struck the nail on the head (for me anyways). You always have a good time when you go out even though you don’t want to go out! That’s a struggle that I’ve often dealt with as well. And I think my Dad (diagnosed in 2013) experiences much of the same. And filling our lives with things we love (like yoga and tai chi) only seems like another positive layer. I’m really glad that you’ve been able to find these answers for yourself. And I think it’s okay for there to be waves of apathy. Parkinsons is hard. That’s a huge reality.

• Mary Beth Skylis

March 9, 2020 at 10:03 am

Marlene,

I think you struck the nail on the head (for me anyways). You always have a good time when you go out even though you don’t want to go out! That’s a struggle that I’ve often dealt with as well. And I think my Dad (diagnosed in 2013) experiences much of the same. And filling our lives with things we love (like yoga and tai chi) only seems like another positive layer. I’m really glad that you’ve been able to find these answers for yourself. And I think it’s okay for there to be waves of apathy. Parkinsons is hard. That’s a huge reality.

Page 2 of 2