• Would you consider yourself graceful?

Posted by Ally on February 13, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Would you — a person with Parkinson’s — ever call yourself a dancer? An artist? Graceful? Well, it’s possible. Be open to the idea. You may be surprised. Lori Deporter certainly was. Click here to read her column about her experience with a dance program for people with Parkinson’s disease.

Mary Beth Skylis replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jacque Walston

February 18, 2020 at 11:45 pm

I loved to dance! I did feel graceful gliding across the ballroom in a waltz or twirling in a two-step on a sawdust dance floor.  Now with PD I still feel graceful in my mind, but in reality, I’m much more jerky.  Does that stop me from dancing?  No way!  I still get up and move my booty, shake the tambourine, jump around and enjoy myself. I find it is easier now to dance by myself rather than with a partner. But in my mind, I’m twirling on that ballroom floor with the best of ’em.

• Mary Beth Skylis

February 19, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Jacque, I have two left feet but I greatly respect people that can dance and let loose. I’m really glad to hear that you haven’t let PD slow you down. Dancing is supposed to help with movement disorders. Is dancing by yourself as fun as dancing with a partner?