• What is your strangest symptom?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on January 25, 2021 at 7:03 pm

Parkinsons is different for everyone. My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) is still determining which symptoms are linked to the disease, and which ones are just quirks. One of his strangest symptoms seems to be panic or anxiety. What is one of your strangest symptoms? Have you been able to find ways to manage it?

mary-beth-skylis replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jim-browne

January 27, 2021 at 6:44 pm

I had an olfactory hallucination where everything smelled like wasabi Japanese mustard. After a couple of weeks it just disappeared.

JimB

• beth-t-browne

January 28, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I was diagnoised in July of 2020.  At 83, it was a shock.  I am a 28 yr cancer survivor, and there is no PD in my mother’s side of the family.  I do not know about my father, who I discovered at 80 when I thought it was the man I knew growing up, but did not have a relationship with.  He died in 1970, and I have found no relatives, except one 2nd cousin. I also discovered I was 49% Jewish, when I thought I was 1/4 Cherokee.  Lots to try and understand, and then PD came along, so maybe it was in his family.  I was just accepted by Indiana University to do the gene DNA, so maybe some of my questions will be answered.  I, too, have more anxiety and worse tremors when trying to solve problems, which I have had a lot of lately.  I have been alone since 1980, and have worked until 72, and pretty much took care of myself.  I have a son in WA state, and a Daughter about 20 min away, however, she seldom calls or visits, but when I need something, she helps me, so I am grateful for that.  I try not to ask too much as she teaches part-time, and has a husband.  Her daughter lives w/her fiancé.  But, she is very social also.  My kids do not understand why I get upset so easily.  I feel, because I have been alone so long, not needing help, they still see me that way.  I lost my sense of taste two weeks before Thanksgiving, and that has really been hard to deal with.  I have always been small, and lost 7 pounds when I was put in the Dopamine drug as it made so nauseous.  My doctor took me off of it, and now I only take 15% Dopamine, which isn’t doing much.  My doctor is hoping I will build up a tolerance for the prescription.  My taste is gradually improving some, which is strange, since my doctor said it usually does not come back.  I was hoping I would hear something from someone on this site about the taste thing, but no response.  It was not COVID, as I was tested, and I was not sick.

• russ-hudson

January 29, 2021 at 6:53 pm

Panic and anxiety was what I was starting to experience in September 2018, after noticing other symptoms before, such as acting out my dreams, left thumb twitching, stiffness in my left left, trouble writing, balance issues. I googled for the “latest treatments for Parkinson’s,” and found articles indicating butyric acid supplements are very helpful. I started taking them, and all of my symptoms, including panic and anxiety, have gone away.

• mary-beth-skylis

February 2, 2021 at 9:55 am

Beth, my Dad has lost some of his sense of smell. When he was diagnosed with PD in 2013, he started seeing a holistic doctor in conjunction with his Neurologist. His holistic doctor tried to detoxify my Dad, believing his body to be full of heavy metals. While my Dad didn’t feel a whole lot different after this process, he did notice that his sense of smell was sharper. It’s always best to consult a professional with these types of questions. But it sounds like you’re doing everything right in your search for answers!