Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Myths about life with PD

• Myths about life with PD

Posted by Ally on October 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Everyone’s experience with Parkinson’s disease is different, even if only slightly, from someone else’s, and there are lots of myths and misconceptions about the disease out there.

What myths have you heard? Have you had a chance to educate your family and friends about any misconceptions they might have about the disease or what it is like to live with PD?

Mary Beth Skylis replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Toni Shapiro

February 6, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Yes, I have had many opportunities to educated family and friends about PD.  Before my diagnosis I knew next to nothing about it and what I did know, or rather what thought I knew, was a myth (ie everyone who has Parkinsons has tremors.) Since then I have done quite a bit of research and surprisingly find new things about Parkinsons every day.  There are a million of them and as you know it is a very complicated disease.  It seems to me that there has been more press about PD this past year or so, most likely because of the number of celebrities who have come forward to say they have the Disease, still, most people I come across have no idea about it.  I am happy to share my personal experience with anyone and to point out that others with PD may look different from me, feel different from me and have different symptoms.

• Mary Beth Skylis

February 7, 2020 at 10:04 am

It is amazing how quickly research seems to be coming out about PD. There’s always a new theory or trial that’s on the rise. Hopefully we’ll start seeing more ways to treat it!