Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s Long Lasting Covid Impacts

• Long Lasting Covid Impacts

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on February 7, 2022 at 4:23 pm

I’ve had a few friends who have had Covid over the past year. Most of them quickly returned to normal. But a few of them are experiencing lasting changes like a modified sense of taste. Have any of you had Covid? If so, are you experiencing long lasting impacts? What kind of changes did you observe during and after the virus?

Marie replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Ernst

October 22, 2022 at 4:40 pm

I had COVID Jan 2021 before vaccinations were available and before my Parkinson’s diagnosis. My sense of smell was already greatly altered but after COVID I lost all sense of smell except chemical smell like diesel fuel exhaust. My sense of taste has been altered in that everything tastes overly salty or overly sweet. I still suffer from fatigue and especially fatigue from exertion! Brain fog, focus, reading and conversation comprehension and memory recall were bad for the first year and is still not normal but improved from constant work with brain games. About 2-3 months after having COVID I started having issues with anxiety and later difficulty with speech and slowness of speech and thought processing and then the tremors on my left side hand/arm. I was later diagnosed with Parkinson’s which is believed that the stressors from having COVID aggravated unknown pre-existing Parkinson’s.

• Marie

October 26, 2022 at 12:37 am

I have not noticed any real difference in my husbands who has Parkinson’s and had Covid pneumonia and was in the hospital for a week. It was a good three months until he was back to himself, but I had a mild case, and I am forever tired, with brain fog.. which I get anyway from migraines. Just more often I feel it, these days.