Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) commonly tells me that stress seems to exacerbate his symptoms. If he runs into a financial predicament, or something doesn’t go according to plan, he often experiences worsened tremors. One way that he’s learned to mitigate these changes is through diet and exercise. How do you minimize the stress in your life? And what are some of your favorite ways to manage stress?

Garrett McAuliffe
      Participant

Reducing stress  is a major effort of mine. After plowing through 10 years of Parkinsons while working, I am about to retire. That takes away one stress. Also, any concentration type of thinking increases my tremors and other symptoms. I often lie or sit down and do mindful meditation in between any tasks. I tend not to socialize as much as I once did. But I don’t want to give up my connections to other people either. So I have a zoom call with friends who I grew up with once a week and even though it’s tremor increasing, it’s worth it. So even. good stress like excitement and conversation increase my symptoms as does work stress. One challenge is trying to help around the house and do things with my wife does not have Parkinson’s. I used to do lots of house tasks and gardening but I just have to do what I can.  Finally, I have my rule of “one thing in a row. “That means that I’ll do one thing socially or cooking or raking leaves or using the computer and have a liedown time in between any stressful events. Again, the challenge is to remain sociable enough when socializing causes Parkinson’s symptoms to be exacerbated. Ironically, I’m not looking forward to the end of the pandemic for the sake of the increase in social events like dinners and visits.

Jeffery Hill
      Participant

My symptoms are similar to your Dad’s.  When I experience stress, my tremor amplifies big time.  So stress avoidance is a key solution, and among other tactics I chose to retire early to get that whole work stress thing out of my life.  I also exercise frequently, although the closure of gyms due to COVID has caused a wrinkle in that plan.

Garrett McAuliffe
      Participant

I have retired after 32 years at the university as a professor and 18 previous years being a teacher and a counselor. So at 72, I’ve called it quits because it is way too stressful in my 11 years since diagnosis to have any pressures like that. I too experience my increasing tremor when I have to do financial thinking or tasks that pile on together. I may have responded to this before but I try to take every task one at a time and then take a break. Task, break, task, break. We walk the dogs I come home and rest. I work in the garden and pick rest. I’m doing some work on the computer I break in between. That is unlikely Type A that I’ve always been so it is a learning process. I have to explain this to my spouse, As it could be seen as being lazy and I contribute. Instead of multitasking, I heard someone describe it as semi-tasking – Doing half as much and being OK with it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account