Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How do you maintain open communication with your partner?

Tagged: 

• How do you maintain open communication with your partner?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on July 29, 2020 at 6:30 am

My parents have learned how to operate as a team. When my Dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2013, it became easier to see the disease as the enemy. And I think that communication has been the key to their ability to band together. How do you maintain open communication with your partner?

Mary Beth Skylis replied 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Rev. Charles D. Good

July 31, 2020 at 5:04 pm

In the initial stages, which I am told I am in, it is sometimes difficult to get my wife to understand my mood swings, my “off” periods, my lack of ability to control my body temperature, and other things.  I am trying to get her to do some reading (from others) so she doesn’t think I am crazy.  I am finding it is an ongoing struggle for those who are not dealing with PD, to accept and understand what is happening.

• Mary Beth Skylis

August 4, 2020 at 9:43 am

Rev. Charles D. Good, do you think that some of the changes relate to your medications?

• Beryl

August 9, 2020 at 10:32 am

Hello

Newbee carer struggling to communicate with my husband. Most of his symptoms at the moment are nonmotor. I have read and researched the symptoms but reading about it doesn’t prepare me for the reality. I try to support him in things he wants to do but watching him and listening to him struggle breaks my heart a bit more than it is each time.

How do I do this.

Beryl

• Patricia B Wargo

August 10, 2020 at 1:18 pm

I was diagnosed in September 2004, 3 months prior to my husband’s retirement. Talking openly about my symptoms and including him in discussions with my neurologist at my appointments, has benefited my level of care. together we make up a list of questions and observations about my symptoms prior to each neurological appointment. Discussion of what may be a natural result of aging and differentiating that from PD symptoms can be a good starter for communication. It’s important for your partner to understand PD and it’s symptoms, and their impact on each of you.
    Support groups can also be helpful in providing a forum for opening up discussions between you and your partner.

• Mary Beth Skylis

August 11, 2020 at 11:03 am

Beryl,

I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles. My Dad was diagnosed in 2013 and sometimes I still have a hard time getting him to talk about it. It makes it really difficult to find solutions when the problems aren’t super obvious.