Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Have you lost motivation since the diagnosis?

• Have you lost motivation since the diagnosis?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on May 9, 2022 at 7:31 pm

I’ve heard of a number of different people losing motivation after the diagnosis. And I’m curious about this experience. Have you lost motivation since the diagnosis? Do you think this could be a physical symptom or a mental one? And how do you support yourself during these difficult times?

alan-m replied 1 year, 9 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ola-c-zamora

July 2, 2022 at 1:43 pm

I know a person who lost his confidence after the diagnosis worsened his mental condition; he showed rage behaviours and tried to keep a distance from everyone. That hurts people around him; everyone tries to console him, but his situation becomes worse day after day, and at the same, the wired symptoms also hurt him. We failed to support him and bring back his confidence; at last, we got him back to his everyday life through behaviour therapy was working, and only through talk sections did the behaviour therapist bring back his confidence, and now he is digested with the truth.

• alan-m

July 5, 2022 at 10:26 pm

This is likely the most prevalent issue to do with my mental health since my diagnosis, Mary Beth.  Thank you for your astute query.  Let me begin by saying, I think this is a mental issue more than physical, for me at least.

I’ve lost most of my motivation for life.  My job stopped making any sense years ago.  The only reason why I keep working beyond retirement age is my family needs the additional support.  I guess their welfare is my motivation to keep working.

I wish I could just get on a bus and tour all our country.  And when I was done seeing all our fair land, do the same, but over in Scotland.  Travel really appeals to me at this stage in my life.  Too bad my bank acct doesn’t allow me to realize any pipe dreams.  If I had a “bucket list” once, it’s long since deteriorated.  I often wonder if my chronic depression hasn’t morphed into anhedonia.  Not too sure.  I hope not.

• mary-beth-skylis

July 6, 2022 at 10:11 am

Alan,
      Which places are on that bucket list of yours? And do you think that your family would ever want to travel with you?

• alan-m

July 7, 2022 at 5:48 pm

In  Scotland, my hied says “go Central, old man” (to the Central Highlands, from Speyside to the north, to Dundee, Perth and the south end of Lock Lomond to the south).

I’d love to tour all of New Zealand.  Monies and time will dictate how much of it I can truly travel to.  A train journey from north tip of the N Island (at Cape Reinga) to the south tip of S Island would be kewl (to Bluff).  As for travel companions, I doubt my family would want to travel that much.  They tend to be more sedentary by nature.

• c-morts

July 6, 2022 at 10:08 am

I appreciate Mary Beth’s question. Since my diagnosis almost 2 years ago  I have become very discouraged about life. I have become withdrawn socially and am quite depressed. I used to be very social, accomplished and generally loving with family and friends. At first I thought it was due to my sensitivity to medications for PD.But as my dr tapered off the meds my PD symptoms returned in full force.  My emotions continue to be an issue.  Now I am at a loss as to the next step. This is further complicated by a head injury I had 5 years ago which may or may not be a factor. Not sure what to do next.

• mary-beth-skylis

July 6, 2022 at 10:10 am

C Morts, I’m so sorry that you’re struggling. I don’t have Parkinson’s, but I’ve seen first hand how discouraging it can be. And I can only imagine that a head injury would further complicate things. Have you considered reaching out to a clinician or a therapist to discuss some of your feelings in more depth? I’ve been in therapy for over 4 years, and I do think it helps me.

• c-morts

July 7, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Mary Beth. I am in therapy and find it helpful. But I want my joy back!