Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Emma Newman
      Participant

Hey All,
      I hope you and your loved ones are safe!

I have been a carer for my partner with Parkinson’s for just over 2 years now. He has been diagnosed with early onset parkinsons 6 years ago.

One of the issues we are facing is with keeping his weight up! Naturally with nausea and apathy he finds it hard to eat in the mornings, and often doesn’t eat anything until I make him a big dinner (I do pack him lunches for work).

He always eats a big healthy meal when I am cooking in the evenings, however some nights of the week I am at work or working late, and he simply forgets to feed himself or doesn’t have the energy to do so.

I was wondering if anyone else has faced these issues, and have ideas they’ve used to help, or have any high calorie nutrient dense snacks that your PWP loves!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Emma Newman.
      Mary Beth Skylis
      Keymaster

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your post. This is an interesting topic. My dad was experiencing the same rapid weight loss early on. I think part of it was that he was having more difficulty eating, so adding Parkinson’s friendly cutlery helped. But we really noticed a difference in his weight after he had Deep Brain Stimulation. I think he put on about 20 pounds, getting him back to a healthy weight. Does he seem to be eating the same amount as he used to eat?

Barbara Ford
        Participant

Mary Beth,  I am fascinated with your dad gaining 20 pounds after DBS!  After I had it, I lost 20 pounds- and I didn’t have it to lose.

Mary Beth Skylis
          Keymaster

Wow, that’s really wild, Barbara! I had no idea that it could vary so much between people. Have you been able to find ways to stabilize your weight since DBS?

Marsha
      Participant

Yes I’m having the same problems with eating.

Vic
      Participant

My guy is the same way about eating. I’m suspecting that he doesn’t want me to know he’s having trouble feeding himself! I too worry about his food intake. Someone suggested that I try boost, the protein drink. He loves the chocolate one and has it every morning! Try it!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2023 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account