Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ Eating and Preparing Food for PWP

• Eating and Preparing Food for PWP

Posted by Emma Newman on December 12, 2022 at 5:15 pm

Hey All,
    I hope you and your loved ones are safe!

I have been a carer for my partner with Parkinson’s for just over 2 years now. He has been diagnosed with early onset parkinsons 6 years ago.

One of the issues we are facing is with keeping his weight up! Naturally with nausea and apathy he finds it hard to eat in the mornings, and often doesn’t eat anything until I make him a big dinner (I do pack him lunches for work).

He always eats a big healthy meal when I am cooking in the evenings, however some nights of the week I am at work or working late, and he simply forgets to feed himself or doesn’t have the energy to do so.

I was wondering if anyone else has faced these issues, and have ideas they’ve used to help, or have any high calorie nutrient dense snacks that your PWP loves!

mgm replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Mary Beth Skylis

December 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your post. This is an interesting topic. My dad was experiencing the same rapid weight loss early on. I think part of it was that he was having more difficulty eating, so adding Parkinson’s friendly cutlery helped. But we really noticed a difference in his weight after he had Deep Brain Stimulation. I think he put on about 20 pounds, getting him back to a healthy weight. Does he seem to be eating the same amount as he used to eat?

• Barbara Ford

December 16, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Mary Beth,  I am fascinated with your dad gaining 20 pounds after DBS!  After I had it, I lost 20 pounds- and I didn’t have it to lose.

• Mary Beth Skylis

December 19, 2022 at 11:53 am

Wow, that’s really wild, Barbara! I had no idea that it could vary so much between people. Have you been able to find ways to stabilize your weight since DBS?

• Marsha

December 13, 2022 at 4:47 pm

Yes I’m having the same problems with eating.

• Vic

December 15, 2022 at 12:09 pm

My guy is the same way about eating. I’m suspecting that he doesn’t want me to know he’s having trouble feeding himself! I too worry about his food intake. Someone suggested that I try boost, the protein drink. He loves the chocolate one and has it every morning! Try it!

• Simmon Belka

January 3, 2024 at 3:17 am

Sorry for the late reply! Firstly, sending good vibes to you and your partner. It’s evident you’re doing an amazing job caring for him. As for the eating challenge, have you tried smoothies? They can be a tasty and nutrient-packed option for mornings, and you can sneak in some high-calorie ingredients.

• Simmon Belka

January 3, 2024 at 8:12 am

They can be a tasty and nutrient-packed option for mornings, and you can sneak in some high-calorie ingredients. Also, you might want to check out the heritage chicken bone broths from https://healofoods.com/products/heritage-chicken-bone-broth They’ve been really helpful for my father facing similar challenges – convenient, tasty, and packed with nutritional goodness. Worth a try on those nights when you’re not around. Hope it brings a positive change for your partner too!

• Kenneth

January 29, 2024 at 10:21 am

Hey there,I completely understand what you’re going through. It can be tough to see our loved ones struggle with eating, especially with conditions like Parkinson’s. Have you considered incorporating high-calorie, nutrient-dense snacks like nuts, cheese, or protein bars? They’re convenient and can help boost his calorie intake. Also, check out this resource on achieving ideal ketosis levels for weight loss—it might offer some helpful insights: https://betterme.world/articles/ideal-ketosis-level-for-weight-loss/.Hang in there, and remember, you’re doing a fantastic job caring for your partner.Take care.

• mgm

January 30, 2024 at 5:24 pm

Be careful with protein. Nutritionists who work with PD suggest a 7 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein. Protein can interfere with PD meds. I like nuts, whole wheat crackers and English muffins with honey. I’m also trying a high dopamine diet. Best of luck to you and your husband.